uTorrent wants you to pay for its software

idrob

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
pirate_flag_waving.gif

Irony: Popular illegal download service wants you to pay for its software

Apps that allow users to download torrent files are usually used for grabbing copyrighted content that’s illegally hosted online. Most such apps are available as free downloads, but one popular torrent app is exploring options to make its users pay for the app.

According to Torrent Freak, uTorrent is toying with the idea of charging its users. The free app has some 150 million monthly users and BitTorrent Inc., the company behind it, says it will test various alternatives during the weeks and months ahead while assuring users that it will offer options to several different budgets.

The move is meant to help the company improve uTorrent services while moving away from advertising and bundled software, which can also be annoying to users.

“Specifically, we want to find a way to improve uTorrent for our customers while financially supporting the amazing team that works every day to make uTorrent great,” the company said. “As you know, uTorrent is a free piece of software. To support it, we use bundled software and offers to offset the cost that would otherwise be paid directly by the user.”

“We’ve never been satisfied with this revenue model. It requires compromises that detract from a premium user experience. We want to find a model that adds value to our product and our users. We want to find a better way.”

Pricing details for this paid service isn’t available at this time, but the company already operates a subscription service – BitTorrent Sync – which costs $29.99 per year.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Not an issue....im sure you can find a torrent link to download the paid version :)

qbittorrent and tixati

are better options for those that use torrents utorrent died ages ago

I use torrents a lot and have alway been a utorrent user i might try some outhers, i tryd the nzbs but anything older than a week wont download

I use u-torrent if I'm on windows, but use Transmission when on a mac.

I do use utorrent but tweaked it to remove adverts :)

Back