Why should we pay for BBC

roachieuk

Elite Member
Reaction score
Its a long burning question what ive always kept turning in my head for quiet a while really.Forgive me for being a lil stupid but anyways here goes my lil rant im 28 and have always helped pay half for the tv license in my house.This has more or less become a matter to me since paying for sky as i pay for multi room and all the packages apart from sports and movies for the whole family.Now let me get to the point here.
When you look at sky most channels have a plus one channel lets say for instance channel 4,ITV Five and so on.Now we pay for BBC so why dont they offer a plus one channel for any of their channels and lets say for instance the internet.4OD is an absoultie dimond website offering really good back catalog stuff from years ago and itv does the same for some progs.Now look at BBCI Player that doesnt offer hardly any backlog only for say 1-2weeks i hardly ever use it in all truth.So why should we pay a license for BBC when they hardly offer nothing where as channel 4 do.Does anyone know the answer to this as to why BBC does not offer services such as ch4 and itv?

Its a long burning question what ive always kept turning in my head for quiet a while really.Forgive me for being a lil stupid but anyways here goes my lil rant im 28 and have always helped pay half for the tv license in my house.This has more or less become a matter to me since paying for sky as i pay for multi room and all the packages apart from sports and movies for the whole family.Now let me get to the point here.
When you look at sky most channels have a plus one channel lets say for instance channel 4,ITV Five and so on.Now we pay for BBC so why dont they offer a plus one channel for any of their channels and lets say for instance the internet.4OD is an absoultie dimond website offering really good back catalog stuff from years ago and itv does the same for some progs.Now look at BBCI Player that doesnt offer hardly any backlog only for say 1-2weeks i hardly ever use it in all truth.So why should we pay a license for BBC when they hardly offer nothing where as channel 4 do.Does anyone know the answer to this as to why BBC does not offer services such as ch4 and itv?
as you should know you dont pay for BBC what you pay for is a licence to receive tv pictures

do u know even if u have a video recorder or a digital tuner in ur computer and no tv or monitor u still need a licence

as you should know you dont pay for BBC what you pay for is a licence to receive tv pictures

do u know even if u have a video recorder or a digital tuner in ur computer and no tv or monitor u still need a licence

to be honest the first part of your answer i didnt know intresting and the later part yes i did know that.Thanks for clearing that up in all honesty ive never read a tv license but know why you need one i honestly thought the main contribution from the tv license went to BBC

thanks for your answer tho much appriciated

Did you also know that if you don't watch live (IE: broadcast) channels, like from freeview, sky or cable, and only watch programs from Iplayer (or any other delayed playback) you don't actually need a TV Licence. (doesnt mean you can record it for watching later, but you can watch recordings).

The licence is only for watching live as they are broadcast programs, it doesnt matter if you have the equipment to get these channels, as long as you don't watch them.

It says so on your licence.

Did you also know that if you don't watch live (IE: broadcast) channels, like from freeview, sky or cable, and only watch programs from Iplayer (or any other delayed playback) you don't actually need a TV Licence. (doesnt mean you can record it for watching later, but you can watch recordings).

The licence is only for watching live as they are broadcast programs, it doesnt matter if you have the equipment to get these channels, as long as you don't watch them.

It says so on your licence.

I believe they are looking at changing that to cover online watching of TV.

I believe they are looking at changing that to cover online watching of TV.

They already have if you are watching live TV like the site catchup tv or on their own sites, but you can watch iplayer or itvplayer and such because the programs are not live broadcast.

They already have if you are watching live TV like the site catchup tv or on their own sites, but you can watch iplayer or itvplayer and such because the programs are not live broadcast.

I though catchup TV was OK, its only live content that needs a licence. This was the item that I believe is changing that you will need a licence for catchup and live tv in the future.

Because tvcatchup is 99% live they include that, as far as I know from talking to someone at the license place when I was cancelling mine.

Last edited:

but its only for BBC services, no others, this broadly means all radio services and internet services, although its not in the license.

and yes if you dont watch live tb you dont need a license.

TV licesning work on Fear, nothing else, tell them to **** off, i do.

you can also WOIROA as well, i think it stands for withdrawal of intended right of access , which technically means you are telling them they have no right of access on your land that if they do they are tresspassing.

they`ll still send you letters though.

BBCresistance.com | Home is your best source of any anti tv licensing info.

you may have heard this before!

if i dont buy a licence ill get a letter telling me i need to buy one,so i send a letter back saying i dont watch tv,so they send a man in a suit round to my house i tell him i dont watch tv he asks if he can come in and check i say no,he says ill come back with a policeman and a warrant to search,ok go for it,he goes to the judge to ask for a warrant the judge asks to see evidence that a crime has been commited at my address and of course there is no evidence.

People have been discussing this for years...

It's another form of Tax ......simple as

you may have heard this before!

if i dont buy a licence ill get a letter telling me i need to buy one,so i send a letter back saying i dont watch tv,so they send a man in a suit round to my house i tell him i dont watch tv he asks if he can come in and check i say no,he says ill come back with a policeman and a warrant to search,ok go for it,he goes to the judge to ask for a warrant the judge asks to see evidence that a crime has been commited at my address and of course there is no evidence.

But they will have evidence, they wont go to court on whim and prayer hoping that the judge will say yes..

Obviously they will get the detector van out and take pictures of the tv on through your window or something..

But they will have evidence, they wont go to court on whim and prayer hoping that the judge will say yes..

Obviously they will get the detector van out and take pictures of the tv on through your window or something..

or something?

the technology behind the TV detector van is shaky at best, thats why we have 300,000 tv licensing people and only about 10 detector vans nationwide. (figures are made up, but proportionally not far off)
tv detector vans are fundamentally flawed as they cannot detect the exact location of the television, it could be your neighbours.

photos are no good , as a photo is static, you could be looking at anything on your telly, and it doesnt prove your watching live TV.

there is no `good` evidence, 99% of poeple who get caught either admit it straight away or do so when they get to court.

or something?

the technology behind the TV detector van is shaky at best, thats why we have 300,000 tv licensing people and only about 10 detector vans nationwide. (figures are made up, but proportionally not far off)
tv detector vans are fundamentally flawed as they cannot detect the exact location of the television, it could be your neighbours.

photos are no good , as a photo is static, you could be looking at anything on your telly, and it doesnt prove your watching live TV.

there is no `good` evidence, 99% of poeple who get caught either admit it straight away or do so when they get to court.

End of the day, the Tv licence is there. you either pay for it or your dont.. each to their own i suspect.. :)

We aint going to change the fact that we have to pay for a licence.. this arguement has been going on for years and is proberly in the doomsday book.. and it will go on till zimbabwe invades britain..

i know mate, just saying thats all, we have one, not through want of trying, but i always ignore them for at least 12 months then the missus ends up getting one, and the only reason we do that is because i`m scared of them asking my lad if hes out the front, which they have done in the past to kids on the street "who lives there? do they have a telly?" which would see me getting locked up for assault............

but i think this year i`m gonna woira as well, just for that bit extra.......

i don't see why people can't have the choice to receive BBC channels or not. The TV licence is for the BBC channels only, as far as i'm aware no other channel benefits from it, so a susbcription would be a better deal. Obviously the BBC is transmitted on a frequency which can be blocked, similar to sports and movie channels, and as such a choice should be given wether you want to receive (unblock) it or not. I honestly cannot remember the last time i watched a BBC channel, or listened to a BBC radio station,l and yet i'm still having to pay the annual TV licence fee.

It pays for quality programming with no adverts [spooks for one example] the apprentice another [wait for the boooos] and holby city.
Well I am over fifty I have an excuse
I think they should sell off local radio stations they are so patronising sitting in their ivory towers transmitting aload of dribble

I've just got myself a property with the mrs and baby. The mrs rang them today the get one sorted, and they said its £24 something a month for 6 months. Considering we are on a low income that is too steep for me. She requested it to be paid £12 a month for 12 months but they refused to. A payment card has been sent out now, but i'm going to have to sort something as £24 a month is just to much after all the other more important bills.

i don't see why people can't have the choice to receive BBC channels or not. The TV licence is for the BBC channels only, as far as i'm aware no other channel benefits from it, so a susbcription would be a better deal. Obviously the BBC is transmitted on a frequency which can be blocked, similar to sports and movie channels, and as such a choice should be given wether you want to receive (unblock) it or not. I honestly cannot remember the last time i watched a BBC channel, or listened to a BBC radio station,l and yet i'm still having to pay the annual TV licence fee.

no its not "just for the BBC". its a licence to receive ANY TV broadcast. you still need one if you never watch the BBC. they just use the money raised, to fund it. mind you its also used to support our broadcast infrastructure. i can imaging the total mess Sly would make of that job.
and channel 4 is, part, public funded. (from the licence fee).

Back