Which Dreambox ???

fezzy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I know i,ve asked th: multi :is question before, but i was going to get a 600 , two week ago
and the mrs told me to hang fire, so i have. I am going to get one in the next week or
so, but which one. I,m not going for the 500\600 models , as they are not the sri,s
of the family and there are less options on them. So this leaves me with the 7020
and 7025, i know thw 7025 has twin tuners and is that the only thing it has over the
7020 ? So which one ? The 7020 or the 7025. I have seen the 7020 for less than 400
with a 250 hd, and this is the one i fancy out of the two of them. What do we reckon
guys ?

Regards

Fezzy

I use a dm7020 and it is by far the most stable dreambox available imo. If you are not put off by the price then you will not be dissapointed by this machine.
The single tuner is irrelevant to me but its capabilities, the pvr and its stability it why i chose this version and I am 100% happy with it with not even the slightest regret. The pvr has never let me down, pause live works fine, great quality recordings, streaming media all over my home without reboot or lock-ups etc.
What more can i say, anyone who 'does not' recommend this receiver only mentions the price or that it only a single tuner.
Regards.

Hi Pinky: multi :

Took your word for it and what the hell , i ordered a 7020 with a 160gb H\D, this
afternoon and it will be sent out Monday, for delivery on tuesday. Can,t wait to get
my hands on it. I know absolutley nothing about dream boxes, so i am starting from
scratch. So there will be plenty of threads , reading and headbanging, but its all part
of the fun. I did a lot of ringing about and they are quite hard to get hold of, apart
from the shops that have them 40 and 50 quid over priced, and in some cases , even
more expensive. The easiest to get hold of are the 500,s and 600,s and the 7025,s
were all sold out and not being replenished.

When it arrives , i will be taking it steady, set it up on the sat positions etc, try to work
it out and go on from there, so watch this space.

Regards
fezzy

Good call that man !
I've had the 7020 for a couple of years now and I'm planning to upgrade to a twin tuner model when I get out of this current period of skint.

There are plenty of helpful people on this board who will help you to get up and running.
A couple of bitz & bobz that will help you get going:

get a serial cable and a cross-over dongle for it, this will be needed eventually by all Dreambox owners and is a life-saver for the times of (inevitable) firmware flashes and direct PC-Dreambox configuration and setup.

The box is usually delivered with a basic operating system for FTA channels which will need to be over-written with something more useful.

Using said cable/dongle and a software tool called DCC (Dreambox Control Centre) which runs under windoze, load up the latest Gemini image and then install MGcamd with the latest AU bits (freely available)
and you are basically good to go.

You'll then need to hook up a dish and scan for channels.

Good luck - shout if you get stuck

Hi Wobbly:handball:

I,m already up and running with a multi - sat ( motorized ) rig and connected to a
tm8 1500ci, so there should be no problem there. So its just basically , connecting
the 7020 and sorting out the sats and channels. They are going to install a Gemini
image before they send it out Monday. So away i go hopefully Tuesday.

You say you fancy a 7025 ? When i was ringing round , most of the shops did not
have any and said they would not be getting any as they have stopped making em.
I noticed a lot of shops are still advertising them , but when you ring up , they tell
you they don,t have them in stock, and have to order them with about 3 to 4 weeks
waiting and you,d be lucky to get one then , as i was told by one guy.

Anyway thanks for the advice , i think i,ll be doing quite a lot of reading and down
loading, between now and tuesday.

Thanks Again
Fezzy

I'm skint anyway so product availability is moot.
As I will remain in a state of skintness until I can sell my house, I'll not be needing an upgrade until the springtime of 2008 (ish)
I realise that supply of 7025s is always scarce, but there are some out there around europe and I don't mind a used machine.

Good Luck and happy viewing

Hiya Wobbly

I have a serial cable already which i use with my present setup.

Whats this cross - over dongle you are on about mate ???

fezzy

I think he probably meant the null modem cable for emergencies with the dreambox and a cross-over cable for connecting your pc directly to the dreambox.

serial cable = straight serial to serial - modem to pc
null modem cable = cross-over cable - pc to pc / pc to dreambox

The cross over bit is to allow the serial plug pins to see the correct pair on the remote end.
EG
transmit on plug A connects to receive on plug B
and
transmit on plug B connects to receive on plug A

I've got a straight serial and a small dongle that does the cross-over bit so I use one cable for both.

Back