whats next - found 2 unsecured networks.

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK i know it's naughty but i can't help my self, found 2 networks within range that i can connect to and one of them once connected i can even get to the net gear config page of their router...

i know it's naughty and that, but now how do i see files? folders? etc etc....

Too much mate, steal their bandwidth but leave their personal stuff. Just my tuppence worth (& I ain't stalking you round the forums dibbers, honest!!)
HH.

I found one, near me and it had their phone number as their username. So I gave them a call to let them know:)

Well, accessing someone elses wlan is illegal to start with.

Going on to access their machines and files is a whole new crime, probably best to leave it.

maybe i could tell them then....or maybe ima just leave it...

If you could tell them fine, but they might not understand what you are trying to do and get the wrong impression.

Prob best to leave it.

yup, probably right....i'm amazed that people do not encrypt there networks though....it's the 1st thing that they should do init....

Whats more shocking is that most devices for the home market get sold with no security applied by default.

3rd gen BT Home Hubs only came with WEP active on them!!

should be a red sticker with "warning" all over these things for people not in the know.....

True, untill people understand that they are leaving a door open for abuse..

Its like leaving the car door open and the keys in the ignition...

there's 2 out of the 5 i can pick up that are unsecured, if that's just within range of my laptop then god knows how many are around....amazing

There are hundreds around me. Loads of starbucks and BT Openzones.

Very few residential networks near me. But the one that is close is unsecured, I have told them personally a few times to secure it.

how do you get to tell them then? like who it is?

Where I live, there is only one other house. The rest are all businesses, lawyers etc. Have Novell across from me and stuff.

Seeing as the network was at full strength, I assumed it was them so went over. The first time, I told them how to do it. The second time I set it all up for them. But they keep getting new routers etc and never set it up again.

ah i see.....well i'll leave them to there own devices then......as to speak...lol

Ummm....if they are that unscrupulous (I think that is how it is spelt..lol) then they would see it is unsecured anyway without it being advertised....

Or...you could be nice and set the mac filtering up on their router so it will only allow their computers....(and maybe yours...lol)

Back