IANB

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Another great night in Europe
Sporting 2 Rangers 2
We are through :Clap::Clap::Clap:

_51415259_dioufgoal466.jpg

Maurice Edu's stoppage-time goal sent Rangers into the last 16 of the Europa League in a thrilling finish in Lisbon.

Rangers took the lead after 20 minutes when El Hadji Diouf's downward header from Steven Davis' cross found the net.

Sporting levelled after 42 minutes when Rangers failed to clear a cross into the penalty box and Pedro Mendes curled it in against his former club.

Yannick Djalo was left unmarked to head the 82nd-minute winner, but Edu stabbed home to ensure an away-goals victory.

Rangers had reverted to their European formation with three central defenders, with captain David Weir at its heart after overcoming illness and Richard Foster at right-back.

John Fleck was a surprise choice on the left of midfield, with the versatile Steven Whittaker in an unusual central midfield role and Davis on the right.

Sporting adopted an attacking formation, with full-back Abel being replaced by midfielder Cristiano Oliveira from the first leg.

Matias Fernandez, who scored in the first leg as a substitute, started in midfield ahead of the man he replaced in that game, Maniche, while Marco Torsiglieri replaced the suspended Daniel Carrico in central defence.

And Rangers were soon under pressure as they displayed their recent inability to hold on to possession.

Indeed, Whittaker was robbed by Djalo 25 yards from his own goal and the Sporting midfielder's low drive was beaten away for a corner by goalkeeper Allan McGregor.

Sporting took encouragement from Rangers' uncertainty and won a series of corners, but the Scots survived without too many nervous moments.

Walter Smith's side worked their way into the game and began to probe for openings up front, where Diouf had been preferred to Kyle Lafferty after the Northern Irishman profligacy in the first leg.

And, when Foster prodded the ball forward for Davis, the midfielder's cross to the back post found the Senegal forward peeling off his marker and headed back across goalkeeper Rui Patricio and into the empty net.

Rangers were looking increasingly comfortable, with an off-target long-range effort from Mendes being their only real threat.

However, just as it looked like the visitors would survive until half-time, a mix-up in defence let former Ibrox man Mendes to equalise.

David Weir decided late not to head away a cross ball, the ball deflected off the startled Bartley and, when Helder Postiga played the ball back to Mendes at the edge of the box, the Portugal midfielder curled the ball beautifully into the corner.

Diouf was involved in a head-to-head argument with Sporting defender Evaldo as the half-time whistle blew, the players being separated by the fourth official and Rangers coach Kenny McDowell.

It was the Lisbon side who looked fired up as the second half began and McGregor had rise smartly to palm clear a curling Fernandez cross that would have crept in at the back post had the goalkeeper not conceded the first of three corners within the first eight minutes.

Sporting should have taken the lead when a chipped pass from Fernandez found Joao Pereira sneaking in behind the Rangers defence, but he headed over from eight yards.

The game was now flowing from end to end and, when a Davis header was saved by Rui Patricio, Sporting broke clear and McGregor had to block a low Pereira drive clear with his legs.

Rangers boss Smith made a surprise change after 71 minutes, withdrawing Weir, with Vladimir Weiss and Kyle Lafferty coming on for the veteran defender and the largely anonymous youngster, Fleck.

Davis sent a 20-yard drive curling wide of the near post as the visitors adopted a more adventurous formation.

However, when Sasa Papac was dispossessed on the touchline, Pereira's cross found Djalo at the back post and he headed powerfully past McGregor from 10 yards.

It looked like Sporting's run of six games without a victory was coming to an end until Foster played in David Healy and the substitute's cross across the face of goal was touched in by Edu from close range.

a fantasitic reult.... :Clap::Clap::Clap::Clap:

well done walter for making the changes... :)

yip this team is doing ok, we are still in everything with poor form.
w.a.t.p

mate this is a forum get a grip, your are a sad man.

eh? i say well done make a wee remark about take it the thread with a smiley and i get that abuse i give up

anyway apologies for any offense caused.. really am shaking my head at how fickle you lot are though...

anyway well done

well done deserved over the 2 legs... Now take inside the rangers thread :)

why? does it not deserve a thread of it's own. the only Scottish team in Europe.

and good for the coefficients for all Scottish teams.

why? does it not deserve a thread of it's own. the only Scottish team in Europe.

and good for the coefficients for all Scottish teams.

rab i dont mind post on every thread im genuinly not bothered... scottymo76 will tell you i was texting him the whole game saying i hope you go through.. i was happy at full time as im sure he will testify when he comes on!!

eh? i say well done make a wee remark about take it the thread with a smiley and i get that abuse i give up

anyway apologies for any offense caused.. really am shaking my head at how fickle you lot are though...

anyway well done
ok x :jumpinghappy2::jumpinghappy::flagwave::flagwave::nerner:

rab i dont mind post on every thread im genuinly not bothered... scottymo76 will tell you i was texting him the whole game saying i hope you go through.. i was happy at full time as im sure he will testify when he comes on!!

no mate your trying to segragate us
we should be aloud to post a coment anywhere but we cant, cos you start your crying everyone is against you. last post to you cos a canny be botherd with u x

Colin you really do make it hard for yourself matey
tbh with whats gone on would of been wise not to post on this at all

if you took a step back and thought about it ;)

Colin you really do make it hard for yourself matey
tbh with whats gone on would of been wise not to post on this at all

if you took a step back and thought about it ;)

fair enough hand on heart though starting to feel like dammed if you do dammed if you dont i say well done and get abuse... its cool though when celtic win 3 trophies this year i look forward to starting a thread but thats for another day

Once again well done to the rangers team tonight.. deserved it :)

fair enough hand on heart though starting to feel like dammed if you do dammed if you dont i say well done and get abuse... its cool though when celtic win 3 trophies this year i look forward to starting a thread but thats for another day

Once again well done to the rangers team tonight.. deserved it :)
long way to go lol

Just a little food for thought here isn't it better that all the UK teams do well in Europe and beat the so called elite teams

Back