Wired (cat 5/6) Weird Issue with home network?

rafter_01

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have recently got a wired network installed at my house. The cable I used was cat6 ftp cable.

I bought a cat 6 patch panel from ebay.
The router I'm using is a technicolor tg.

So the issue I see is very odd,

I can use the cat5 testing kit from one side to the other and it shows me that all 8 wires are working fine. So I know things are working. Now when I connect that port on the patch panel directly to the router and it's correspondent wall port to the laptop I get nothing, no dhcp address. But I can connect my laptop directly to the router and I definitely get a dhcp address.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong? The end cables I'm using are cat5 which are connected to the cat6 patch panel. I've used cat 6 cables too but still no luck.

What could be wrong? Both sides are configured in B wiring.

Any advice? Maybe I've got a dodgy patch panel?

Thanks in advance

to add buddy did you try looking to make sure the port at the patch panel and the backplate were you are connecting to are wired in sequence .. For example 1. Green at patch panel port and 1 has to be green at the back plate .they all have to match .should be 8 cores

to add buddy did you try looking to make sure the port at the patch panel and the backplate were you are connecting to are wired in sequence .. For example 1. Green at patch panel port and 1 has to be green at the back plate .they all have to match .should be 8 cores

Sorry are you referring to t568a and b?

Both sides are t568b

I assume you are using one of those two-part cable testers with flashing leds?

They're okay but not 100%. Have you tried another wall point? Also, when you test, can you see both parts of the tester so the sequence of leds is the same at both ends?

Use a multimeter to check for shorts on the cable between patch and faceplate and double-check the order at both.

I assume you are using one of those two-part cable testers with flashing leds?

They're okay but not 100%. Have you tried another wall point? Also, when you test, can you see both parts of the tester so the sequence of leds is the same at both ends?

Use a multimeter to check for shorts on the cable between patch and faceplate and double-check the order at both.

Yep two parts.

I tried connecting my laptop to the port to check in case the tester was wrong.

All colors match both sides from what I can remember but I'll check again.

Maybe it's a dodgy cat6 panel I bought from ebay....

As stated by him her I think there's a miss match of polarity on the connection at each end .. Check the colours at each side .hopefully you get a result buddy .good luck

You should be using your tester from the end which i guess is a wall socket to the patch panel. This is the bit you need to see working before anything else.

I would say its a faulty Patch panel especially seeing as you have tested each end with the network tester, I use one all the time and they are pretty much 100% well mine has never been wrong touch wood.

Also its pretty hard to see ech end with the network tester especially if the cable is run through premises or a house and are a good few meters apart thats the idea of the tester.

Send the patch panel back for another one

Back