Home Network

Oily

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I hate windows(use to a Macbook)I'm trying to connect my laptop(on W10) to a desktop(W7) on my network,I can see the PC appear in my network on my laptop and vice versa,I have password disabled on both machines but yet it won't let me connect?
It says I need I don't have permission,contact administrator blah blah blah.....
Do I have to run both machines as 'adminstrator'?

are you trying to control one from the other or access the data on one from the other?

I hate windows(use to a Macbook)I'm trying to connect my laptop(on W10) to a desktop(W7) on my network,I can see the PC appear in my network on my laptop and vice versa,I have password disabled on both machines but yet it won't let me connect?
It says I need I don't have permission,contact administrator blah blah blah.....
Do I have to run both machines as 'adminstrator'?

Out of interest is this easier to do between Apple devices?

move the files to public it will be a lot easier that way.

Also pull the file rather than send
That would be the thing to do if you had access to the pc ;)
I'll take a look,cheers
Out of interest is this easier to do between Apple devices?
Not sure to be honest.usually when I've done the changes to share files on both pc's it works but for some reason it ain't :confused:

I had to switch off the private network firewall on the W10 laptop 🙄
Edit,although judging by the speed of the transfer I won't bother, 7hrs to transfer 2.5gb 😆

That would be the thing to do if you had access to the pc ;)

I'll take a look,cheers

Not sure to be honest.usually when I've done the changes to share files on both pc's it works but for some reason it ain't :confused:
if you have no access to 1 of the PCs how are you connecting it to the network?

Are both PCs on the same physical LAN or are you using VPN or something?

Windows wont allow you to connect to a share that has no password with a login

create an account (password needed) on the Win box with the share and use that account to connect

It would be easier just to stick the files on an external HD or USB drive and leg it upstairs.

Much quicker, and the benefit of a bit of exercise thrown in. :)
I was thinking the same 😆
if you have no access to 1 of the PCs how are you connecting it to the network?

Are both PCs on the same physical LAN or are you using VPN or something?
I access to both pc's?It won't allow me to connect to each other over the wifi
Windows wont allow you to connect to a share that has no password with a login

create an account (password needed) on the Win box with the share and use that account to connect
I've done it before without having to type in a password to connect to another pc?But I'm just gonna stick them on a hd/usb stick and do it that way,Windows sucks

I had similar problem previously with 2 networked pc and file sharing with a NAS drive. Have a look at Windows Credentials Manager settings.

Here

I had issues in the early days of Win 10 with networking 10 & 7.

Make sure both are in the same workgroup. Check both have similar IP settings, same range.
I set my PCs as work network

Have the same user account on both PCs.
Enable File and Print sharing on both PCs
Share the HDD, go to Properties, Sharing, Advance sharing, tick Share this folder
Go to Permissions, Add your user account and give full control.

Try connecting, maybe with firewall off and then on

Back