vu+ ultimo.. is it worth it

Hi there m8.

Will check late tonight/tomorrow due to blindscanning satellites.

But i am using 1m Solid steel orbital dish
tm1 gold lnb
foamed filled double screened rg6 cable
about 20 meters of cable been used for run, Can take a piccy tomorrow of dish aswell.

Any tp's on 7w you want me to check for comparision or do you want just an average?

cheers

fruitball

Hi there m8.

Will check late tonight/tomorrow due to blindscanning satellites.

But i am using 1m Solid steel orbital dish
tm1 gold lnb
foamed filled double screened rg6 cable
about 20 meters of cable been used for run, Can take a piccy tomorrow of dish aswell.

Any tp's on 7w you want me to check for comparision or do you want just an average?

cheers

fruitball

Cheers Fruitball appreciated,

Just for comparison my test was done on a 1m Gibertini, Inverto Black Ultra Twin, Triax TX100 Approved Full copper core cable around 18 meters so slightly under yours.

Can you check TP 11430 V 27500 3/4

On my last test when it was raining my Ultimo only came back with an SNR of around 35% and slight breakup on the TM5402 same conditions brought me a healthy 53% SNR ( Both snr from Receiver )

On a clear day the ultimo gave me around 47% SNR and i could never test the 5402 because i only had it 1 night but my guess for same conditions based on the raining one would be around 60-65% snr

Really appreciate it fruitball it will give me a little info as to whether or not i could have had a Faulty tuner or not

Thanks

Cheers Fruitball appreciated,

Just for comparison my test was done on a 1m Gibertini, Inverto Black Ultra Twin, Triax TX100 Approved Full copper core cable around 18 meters so slightly under yours.

Can you check TP 11430 V 27500 3/4

On my last test when it was raining my Ultimo only came back with an SNR of around 35% and slight breakup on the TM5402 same conditions brought me a healthy 53% SNR ( Both snr from Receiver )

On a clear day the ultimo gave me around 47% SNR and i could never test the 5402 because i only had it 1 night but my guess for same conditions based on the raining one would be around 60-65% snr

Really appreciate it fruitball it will give me a little info as to whether or not i could have had a Faulty tuner or not

Thanks

Hi mate.

I am currently blindscanning all satellites in my satellite arc but as soon as it is completed i will check the tp you gave me and take a screenshot. Im thinking that obviously the tm tuner is showing it is a higher signal so it leads me to beleive, either the tuner is inferior to the tm, or certain tps are overloading the tuner. I have seen the latter many times but without proper testing i cannot say for sure.

I have tried a tm500 super on certain tps which show as weak on the ultimo and the tm shows the sig is stronger on the tm, But the ultimo still receives it and does not break up.

leave it with me and i will have results tonight or if im to drunk tomorrow

Hi mate.

I am currently blindscanning all satellites in my satellite arc but as soon as it is completed i will check the tp you gave me and take a screenshot. Im thinking that obviously the tm tuner is showing it is a higher signal so it leads me to beleive, either the tuner is inferior to the tm, or certain tps are overloading the tuner. I have seen the latter many times but without proper testing i cannot say for sure.

I have tried a tm500 super on certain tps which show as weak on the ultimo and the tm shows the sig is stronger on the tm, But the ultimo still receives it and does not break up.

leave it with me and i will have results tonight or if im to drunk tomorrow

I appreciate that mate, i also have a TM500 super but its relegated to a spare room just on a Sly feed. What i do know is that on the Tm's the threshold for breakup if i remember is around the 40% mark where as on the Ultimo ,Duo its around 32%, It's not really so much the SNR reading that concerns me its the ability to lock and hold a weak TP without breakup thats the issue so when you test it you should have a better idea.

Thanks again

Hi mate, still scanning all the sats blindscan and it is 60% atm so overnight jobby.
Yes i understand the need to have a good tuner in a box that cost half a grand. I really would like to try a attenuator to see what difference but awaiting deleivery. I get to a certain point where aslong as i can receive a signal then i am happy. I have multiple boxes in the house and all give different readings and different results.

as soon as scan finishes and i am up i will let you know about tp and check weak tp;s but for me honestly i have had no probs with feeds and really weak signals on 26e and 7w. It works and works well for a 1m dish. There comes a point where i get tired of chasing signals and trying to get the best when the reality is i barely watch 9/10ths of the crap on satellite. The signals conflict on the receiver from what i know i can pull of my system but it works. I install systems day in day out and it gets so f'ing boring doing it and a ball ache. I must say i admire your dedication to satellite... I wish i had that stamina. To me its just a job not like ten years ago. :-(

Will post tomorrow mate and will screenshot it.

BTW if anything else you want to check let us know tonight/tomorrow so i can do it when i get up which will be in the afternoon after i sleep of the booze!

Hi mate, still scanning all the sats blindscan and it is 60% atm so overnight jobby.
Yes i understand the need to have a good tuner in a box that cost half a grand. I really would like to try a attenuator to see what difference but awaiting deleivery. I get to a certain point where aslong as i can receive a signal then i am happy. I have multiple boxes in the house and all give different readings and different results.

as soon as scan finishes and i am up i will let you know about tp and check weak tp;s but for me honestly i have had no probs with feeds and really weak signals on 26e and 7w. It works and works well for a 1m dish. There comes a point where i get tired of chasing signals and trying to get the best when the reality is i barely watch 9/10ths of the crap on satellite. The signals conflict on the receiver from what i know i can pull of my system but it works. I install systems day in day out and it gets so f'ing boring doing it and a ball ache. I must say i admire your dedication to satellite... I wish i had that stamina. To me its just a job not like ten years ago. :-(

Will post tomorrow mate and will screenshot it.

BTW if anything else you want to check let us know tonight/tomorrow so i can do it when i get up which will be in the afternoon after i sleep of the booze!

Fruitball you would be surprised at how many members on here are installers myself included, To be honest i love what i do and if it ever got to the stage where you say in your comment i will pack it in no jobs worth it if you think its hum drum so to speak.

Thats what i like about Multisat every job is different and results are different, And trying to squeeze every last drop of DB out of a system gives me a buzz as it probably does for most

Regards

Hi digi here is a screenshot of that tp 6666movies.

screenshot.jpg

I understand what you say regarding the challange and the ''squezing'' every last db out of a setup. I go through fazes and ups and downs. Its raining here at the minute so thats the results if that helps

Cheers for that it helps could be the Smart titanium that helps the Ultimo tuners and maybe the Black Ultra is a little to sensitive for it, It would help if we knew your location as being in the north west could have a bearing on things as well, as we all know the further south the better the signal on 7° west.

Good signal though even in the rain so thats not bad.

Here you go mate and i am a little further away from you and this is on the Duo tuners

666666.jpg

Update fruitball.

Sorry dude i cannot test the MBC on 7° west as i dont have the Duo anymore its gone LOL, i am in the process of having a clear out of receivers and trying some new ones that i have on order so at the moment i am stuck with a lowly TM500super :).

Anyway couple of screen grabs for you just to show you how good the Sharp Tuner is in the TM500s on 666666 movies 7° west. Knocks spots of the Duo and Ultimo

osdshot.png IMG_0173.JPG

hmmm very intresting... i will try that aswell on my tm500s when i get back from shop... need my beer !

What software are you using on that mate for the tm500?

Cheers

Fruitball

on the TM500super it has the last IQ team image on it from last august i think that was the very last image for the 500super, As you can see from the readings though and its been cloudy as hell here today with rain and hailstone at times and that lowly 500super still picked up a Healthy 81% snr 32% higher than the Duo and Ultimo.

As for your other question regarding the Ultimo and MBC channels on 7° west mine could not pick them up either although i have heard reports they are quite strong for 7° west.

I have a new DrHD F15 Receiver on its way to me and have just picked up a new VU+ Uno so until i can get these set up i will do some more testing.

Cheers

id take them readings with a pich of salt m8 as different tuners are calibrated differently although the sharp tuners have got a excellent rep what what ive read.. the dr hd would be the dogs imo if it only had 4.2.2 decode.. is the uno a original or a prc special, regards mdt

id take them readings with a pich of salt m8 as different tuners are calibrated differently although the sharp tuners have got a excellent rep what what ive read.. the dr hd would be the dogs imo if it only had 4.2.2 decode.. is the uno a original or a prc special, regards mdt

hows it going mdt, first off i have gone original for the Uno due to the fact that when the dual plug & play tuners are released i wanted to make sure they work how they should.

I tell you what the tuners in the TM's are fantastic even if the reading is a little high or how they calibrate them i can guarantee that they will lock and hold any weak transponder far better than the duo or ultimo no matter what people are saying, I look at it this way if the breakup on the Ultimo is around 32% then the Techno's will be around 40-45% and it still has a better margin for holding a lock without breakup.

Thats why i went for the DrHD F15 it has the same tuner as the TM5402 so straight off for me any way its a VU killer for fringe reception, And before the fanboys go slating me for slagging off the Vu i own 1 or 2 i should say.

Long term the Drhd is going to be paired up with the new Raven( Channel master ) install purely for getting fringe and feeds.

@Fruitball

Finally decided to give the new vix 2.4 image a whirl on my Duo (Uno still in Box)LOL anyway nice image Vix tired to make it crash so far and it has'nt so looking good.

And i now finally have MBC package on 7° west although its breaking up for fun but could never get this on the Ultimo so it scores a point there LOL

Probably due to how late it is and its nice and cool outside ideal for weak TP's

MBC2.jpg

Hi digi.

Just pulled my tm500super out of the loft and flashed it with the new image. I was getting a snr 85% and agc of 76% ber 0 on 66666 movies but if i try other tps out on that sat the tuner still gives high readings but still breaks up and shows ber.
I honestly beleive the tuner in this works well but just as good as the ultimo. There all calibrated differently so all that concerns me is aslong as i can watch tv and view feeds which i have been doing just fine on the ultimo that will be happy. Pitty ultimo cannot decode 4.2.2 feeds but thats what vlc is for lol..

Regards

Fruitball

1.jpg
2.jpg

Last edited:
I agree they are all calibrated differently but for me the Ultimo still falls down Tuner wise i have seen it and tested it myself and i stand by what i say, Just look at the Duo on MBC on my post above a healthy 53% snr and its still breaking up and thats one the ultimo could not pull in but yet the Duo can very strange.

When i tested the TM500super today overly cloudy here not great i did not get any breakup on any channel i tested and BER was '0' so tonight with it being cool and clear skies you should not have a problem i certainly did not today.

I think we will have to agree to disagree with the Tuner is just as good on the ultimo bit, they are for general satellite viewing but for feeds and weak/fringe TP's they leave a lot to be desired

I will be able to do another comparison when my F15 rolls up and see what MBC is like on that.

Back