vu+ ultimo.. is it worth it

there is even reports of dual dvb-s2 tuner (some time in the future July onward)so you can kit out your Ultimo with three dual tuners or your Vu solo with one dual tuner that would turn it into a twin tuner that would be nice and cost affective too

there is even reports of dual dvb-s2 tuner (some time in the future July onward)so you can kit out your Ultimo with three dual tuners or your Vu solo with one dual tuner that would turn it into a twin tuner that would be nice and cost affective too

I think you meant to say VU UNO honest mistake to make, If this is true i may delve into the Uno market myself. thijss26 where are the reported rumours from Thanks

I think you meant to say VU UNO honest mistake to make, If this is true i may delve into the Uno market myself. thijss26 where are the reported rumours from Thanks
yeah wich ever one has the interchangeble tuners your right the solo one would be a nice if this works in the Vu+
they already work on p.c. so it should be possible.
they should cost around 45-50 Euro's

Last edited:

Direct from Vu them selves and their beta team. here is note they left in the latest drivers

- Add support for dual S2 Tuner(uno, ultimo)
- Fix HDMI recognition problem on some TVs(uno, ultimo)
- Fix TS playback problem

Not on mine they did'nt and a lowly £150 technomate 5402HD beat it for tuner sensitivity

ok just a small update on the sensitivity of the tuners in the uno / ultimo.
like here i also answered a thread on another forum where i also advised the user that the Uno / Ultimo tuners were in fact a little too sensitive as opposed to weak as some continue to wrongly assume. any way to cut a long story short that user ordered and fitted a a variable 20db attenuator as i advised which when fitted resolved his tuner problems imminently. i can provide a link if you still think i'm wrong.

i can provide a link to that thread of needed.

And i can also provide links to posts on other forums from different users saying the exact opposite as well so we would end up going round in circles, I did my test and that was satisfactory for me to realise that the Tuners in my Ultimo where not up to the Job to pull in weak TP's on 7° west

I have nothing against the Ultimo its a great receiver but for me for fringe reception it's tuners do not cut the mustard so to speak

i also would speak from experience with 3 different models of tm' where i could revieve certain fta channels no problem and when i got my Vu+ Ultimo these channels would constanly break up and are unwatcheble and at the same time working perfect on my tm's, HD picture would be a bit better on the tm's too.
i was told before that it could be some driver issue because it's mostly on the vertical transponders but no upgrade fixed this yet.
love my Ultimo still anyway but the tuners could be better cosidering what you pay for them

Playing Devil's advocate here but couldn't a too strong signal (which I presume is roughly the same as a very sensitive tuner) also cause these same problems?

Has any of you tried to fit an attenuator and see what happens?

Playing Devil's advocate here but couldn't a too strong signal (which I presume is roughly the same as a very sensitive tuner) also cause these same problems?

Has any of you tried to fit an attenuator and see what happens?

thats exactly my point. the tuner is too sensitive so strong incoming signals are basically blocking the weaker ones out making it look like the tuner cant find the weaker transponders. now i have said this on many forums that if you fit a attenuator inline to dampen the incoming signal it will in effect allow the weaker transponders to come through. now i'm not discounting digi247 but i bet if he had of fitted a attenuator he would have seen a marked difference but we will never know as he just wrote the tuner off and sold the box without investigating fully.

and yes to your question i know of several people who have fitted attenuators and this has solved their problems, but hey i'm full of crap so what would i know ?.

and yes to your question i know of several people who have fitted attenuators and this has solved their problems, but hey i'm full of crap so what would i know ?.

I know you do m8 i was actually aiming that at the other posters,just curious i suppose ;)

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

I know you do m8 i was actually aiming that at the other posters,just curious i suppose ;)

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

yes i know you were not having a go at me mate, just venting a little steam. I dont just make these posts for the sake of it, i sometimes actually know what i'm talking about especially since i have 3 Vu receivers my self and i beta test them.

yes i know you were not having a go at me mate, just venting a little steam. I dont just make these posts for the sake of it, i sometimes actually know what i'm talking about especially since i have 3 Vu receivers my self and i beta test them.

Hi pheonix.

Been reading your posts and especially regarding the adjustable antenuator.. it does make a lot of sense, i get very strange results with the ultimo and the strong signal needing to be ''toned down'' makes perfect sense for what results i am having. What attenuator do you use or do u just use an off the shelf jobby with a pot screw at the side? 0-20db

Hi pheonix.

Been reading your posts and especially regarding the adjustable antenuator.. it does make a lot of sense, i get very strange results with the ultimo and the strong signal needing to be ''toned down'' makes perfect sense for what results i am having. What attenuator do you use or do u just use an off the shelf jobby with a pot screw at the side? 0-20db

I dont personally use one my self as my motorized dish is out of action and for the moment i'm stuck with 3 dishes pointing to 28.2 east, but one guy i was speaking to bought a variable 20db attenuator and he swears blind it fixed his issues imminently.

I dont personally use one my self as my motorized dish is out of action and for the moment i'm stuck with 3 dishes pointing to 28.2 east, but one guy i was speaking to bought a variable 20db attenuator and he swears blind it fixed his issues imminently.

Cheers mate.

I will order one now and test it out and let peeps know.

Regards

If people had read my original post on page one i had problems with weak transponders on 7° west not overly powerful ones just the weak ones, Thats where a good sensitive tuner comes into play that can easily lock and hold these TP's to get a picture without any breakup, again sadly for me the Ultimo did not work in that respect.

The only other problems i had with so called higher TP's where ones mentioned on other forums that i tried and had the same problems and these where TP 12418 V 29900 3/4 DVB-S2 on 13° Hotbird, I was not the only one either to experience some problems with higher V TP's. It's well documented on the VUcommunity.

Read what you say loud and clear regarding issues you have locking on to weaker transponders. I have been having confliction reading with my ultimo (eg signal bar on the receiver) and there very odd. I have a full spectrum anayliser and it gives completly different readings from the ultimo readout (understandably) but i trust my anayalizer 100% as it is calibrated and then i plug a technomate receiver in and the same channel same tp shows different and often shows much higher signal reading. Now i have ordered a in line adjustable attenuator for the vu+ ultimo and i beleive it will fix alot of issues regarding signals. An overpowered tuner is a useless as a tuner with no signal. The issues you describe indicate that A) the tuner is shi-T b) to much signal going in and overloading C) badly made drivers and software.
Now i have been using my ultimo with latest vix image to blindscan 4.8, 7,10,26 and other satellites and it has not missed a beat, apart from very odd signal readouts but i beleive that is down to either a.b.c lol
I have had another blindscan receiver blindscanning the same sats at the same time and the ultimo picked up more. So i have ordered a inline attenuator and im going to test it to see what difference if any it makes. In theory it should help but without trying it out i really cannot say till then. I will quite happily post pics ect or make a vid to demonstrate its capabilities and its FLAWS as i guarentee somebody will pick fault or disbeleive so that way people can make there own mind up.

What came first??? the chicken? the egg? digidude? fruitball on his drunk rant or santa?

Fruitball

I have 3 different meters here as well mate and 2 with speccies on them a Promax and a Rover which same as yours are calibrated on a regular basis, You also have to factor in that not everyone uses same size dish as well as make and different geographical area. But one of my customers who originally had a TM5402HD and then upgraded to the VU Uno also noticed the drop in signal and lost some TP's on 7° west and some where just lost due to bad weather where as before the Tuner in the 5402 as already explained locked and held these no problem, Now personally this guys not bothered as he loves the Uno and all the features it has.

We all know receivers are not the same and for all i know getting the first released batch of the Ultimo i could have got one with so called 'iffy' tuners i will never know, All i do know on my setup the 5402 was a lot better at locking and holding a fringe reception signal than what the Ultimo was.

Who knows when this new Dual tuner arrives for the Uno and Ultimo they may be better than the single ones available now, I know i shall be getting an Uno just to try it for curiosity sake.

Regards

. An overpowered tuner is a useless as a tuner with no signal. The issues you describe indicate that A) the tuner is shi-T b) to much signal going in and overloading C) badly made drivers and software.
Now i have been using my ultimo with latest vix image to blindscan 4.8, 7,10,26 and other satellites and it has not missed a beat, apart from very odd signal readouts but i beleive that is down to either a.b.c lol
So i have ordered a inline attenuator and im going to test it to see what difference if any it makes. In theory it should help but without trying it out i really cannot say till then. I will quite happily post pics ect or make a vid to demonstrate its capabilities and its FLAWS as i guarentee somebody will pick fault or disbeleive so that way people can make there own mind up.
I'll for one will be looking forward to your results with the attenuator and your findings and if it works o.k. i might have a go at it too.
It might fix my experiences with the weaker vertical transponders.

Hi guys when attenuator comes and i have time i will do some testing to see what or if any difference it makes.

The dual tuner that vu+ will be intresting to see what results that produces. I will hold of any judgement till i get attenuator and see how it performs. TBH its doing the job for me, picking up the weak tp's and i am not having an issue. Conflicting readouts yes but i honestly beleive will be sorted with an attenuator or perhaps software/drivers

Fruitball what kind of SNR margin are you getting on 7° west on your ultimo, would have to know your dish type + size, LNB, Cable and your roundabout area etc..

Back