Vu+ Solo2 Remote Access

faddy66

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have setup dynamic DNS to access my box remotely, when I reach it, my router's configuration panel pops up and when I try to connect to the box by adding the port after it, nothing happens, I know I'm missing something, any ideas what it could be?

Regards

Hi guys,

I have setup dynamic DNS to access my box remotely, when I reach it, my router's configuration panel pops up and when I try to connect to the box by adding the port after it, nothing happens, I know I'm missing something, any ideas what it could be?

Regards

If your reaching the router setup page then all your missing is open ports.

You need to open ports 21,22,23 and 80 on the ip address of VU+ in your router port forwarding setup.

You VU+ IP should be a static one to avoid any problems.

Thanks for the reply Ferret, what ports should I put in the VU+ box for it to stream though. I have to enter Http, Https, Streaming & Transcoding ports.

Regards

Thanks for the reply Ferret, what ports should I put in the VU+ box for it to stream though. I have to enter Http, Https, Streaming & Transcoding ports.

Regards

What are you trying to do stream out on to the net to a remote computer ? Are you expecting to use the web interface ?

That's what I want to know, is that possible to use the web interface?

Youll not do it by the browser alone unless you upload speed is up to it, HD streaming would use a massive upload bandwidth.

I get about 5mb upload so I think it should be good enough!? I want to be able to connect to the box remotely at least, the quality is a later issue.

try forward ports 80 and 8002. If it still doesn't work forward 8001 as well what you using to stream vlc

Well I guess you could try with VLC or you could try this.

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

I got this working a long time ago so you so be able to use it not sure if I remember all the setup though.

Here is the instruction I used

1- Install the program from the link below.
2-Create and update dynamic dns address.
3-Open and forward port 1234 to your computer IP.
4- Fill created dynamic dns address and choose your. internet speed from settings.
5- Hit start streaming from the program.
6- Take the appearing internet address and use it with. windows media player and enjoy your dreambox anywhere.

From memory some antivirus programs didn't like it but it was safe.

Last edited:
First off if you use the Transcoding feature then no need to worry about bandwidth as the Solo2 down converts the Video on the Fly for you, secondly do not open any of the usual ports as well as do not open the streaming port 8001/8002 as this is a known port and you will leave yourself open to attack by remote bots searching for these port, for the streaming open up an entirely unique port that only you know and then configure this either in VU's own app for the streaming or something like dreamdroid and it will work perfectly

Cheers guys, I have tried a few things to get it to work before I change the ports as "digi247" mentioned but still no luck. For instance, my http and https port are set to 80, streaming port 8001 and transcoding port 8002 and all these ports are set to open in the router settings but when I try to access my dns dynamic ip by xxxx.xxxx.xxx or xxxx.xxxx.xxx:80, my router configuration page comes up and if i add any of the ports to it like xxxx.xxxx.xxx:8001 or xxxx.xxxx.xxx:8002, nothing happens.

At last some progress but if anyone can help me understand why is this happening, I would be grateful. If I access the dynamic ip xxxx.xxxx.xxx on my network, my router configuration page opens but when I do the same from another network (I tried it on my iPhone 3G), the box web interface opens! I have not yet tried viewing the channels, will give it a try from work tomorrow.

Back