vivaro going into limp mode - help!!

womble7

Inactive User
Reaction score
Got some problems with my vivaro 1.9 2003 80,000 miles, it seems to start and drive really well when the van is empty but when it is loaded and I am going up hill the glow plug light comes on and the engine seems to go into limp mode, will not accelerate but will maintain speed unless you are still going up hill then the speed just drops off, then all of sudden the glow plug light will go off and normal power is back again. I have just put the van on op-com and it has come up with 1 fault code
P1804 - which i have found relates to Ground control relay (what ever that is??)
Over the past year I have had to do/repalce the following
power steering pump
high pressure fuel pump
new fuel lines
new common rail and sensor
4 new fuel injectors
Fuel tank cleaned and flushed
New cam belt kit
new alternator
New battery

I have also done some other tests in opcom
the boost pressure seems to stay at 103Kpa no matter how much i rev the engine
also the boost pressure command seems to also stay at 85% no matter how much i rev the engine is this normal and is this related to the problem?

I just replaced the boost solenoid and it has not made any difference, i took the van down the road and when i pulled up the glow plug light came on, i looked under the bonnet and i could hear a buzzing noise coming from around were i relaced the solenoid, the only other things i can see in that area are the boost sensor and the glow plug relay, i took the boost sensor off of its bracket and the glow plug light went off and also the buzzing noise stopped, could be coinsedence i suppose. I then plugged the laptop into the van using opcom and now i only have one fault showing P1804 - not present, above i posted that it could relate to a ground control relay...could this be the glow plug relay? I am not really sure what this code realtes to or if i have got the right defenition for the code...

Any help with this would be great as it is now starting to cost more than what i payed for the van and i dont want to sell it and someone have a easy fix

Friend of mine had the exact same symptoms with their Renault Scenic DCi, glow plug light showing whilst driving, enters limp mode, no power at all. When its stationary if you floored the accelerator it would only rev to around two thirds what it was capeable of (3000 - 4000 rpm).

Anyway, in his case it was a dirty EGR valve. Taken out, cleaned and replaced and all was fine again.

Might not be your problem but thought worth mentioning as symptoms were so alike :)

cheers for the replys, I will check the egr valve

I dont know why but i disconnected the pipe that goes onto the boost pressure sensor which is located next to the solenoid, started the engine and noticed that i can not feel any air coming out of the pipe or vacuum, is this correct even if the engine is rev'd? I tried to trace back the tube and it looks to me that it goes into the housing for the egr valve, i didnt want to disconnect it if it was not the correct one as it had a clamp on it that i would not be able to put back on...I am thinking that this pipe could be blocked, if it is the correct one ????

Got some problems with my vivaro 1.9 2003 80,000 miles, it seems to start and drive really well when the van is empty but when it is loaded and I am going up hill the glow plug light comes on and the engine seems to go into limp mode, will not accelerate but will maintain speed unless you are still going up hill then the speed just drops off, then all of sudden the glow plug light will go off and normal power is back again. I have just put the van on op-com and it has come up with 1 fault code
P1804 - which i have found relates to Ground control relay (what ever that is??)
Over the past year I have had to do/repalce the following
power steering pump
high pressure fuel pump
new fuel lines
new common rail and sensor
4 new fuel injectors
Fuel tank cleaned and flushed
New cam belt kit
new alternator
New battery

I have also done some other tests in opcom
the boost pressure seems to stay at 103Kpa no matter how much i rev the engine
also the boost pressure command seems to also stay at 85% no matter how much i rev the engine is this normal and is this related to the problem?

I just replaced the boost solenoid and it has not made any difference, i took the van down the road and when i pulled up the glow plug light came on, i looked under the bonnet and i could hear a buzzing noise coming from around were i relaced the solenoid, the only other things i can see in that area are the boost sensor and the glow plug relay, i took the boost sensor off of its bracket and the glow plug light went off and also the buzzing noise stopped, could be coinsedence i suppose. I then plugged the laptop into the van using opcom and now i only have one fault showing P1804 - not present, above i posted that it could relate to a ground control relay...could this be the glow plug relay? I am not really sure what this code realtes to or if i have got the right defenition for the code...

Any help with this would be great as it is now starting to cost more than what i payed for the van and i dont want to sell it and someone have a easy fix

Hi mate. did you ever solve the problem with vivaro ?? My vivaro has the same problem and searching on the internet this seems to be quite a common problem but no one has posted a reply how they solved it.. My vivaro is a 2003 and it has just had a replacement engine and it was fine and all of a sudden it started with is problem. cleaned EGR valve, I seem to think it is more of a wiring problem.. but would be great if you would let me know. Thanks..

yeah,good,My vivaro has the same problem and searching on the internet this seems to be quite a common problem

i had this on my movano .... the same yellow warning light and another red warning light with it......

in the book it said that its related to the fuel heater or water in the fuel...... its says to clear the problem switch the engine off and back on again. which did clear the problem ... until the next time..... but if the problem persists take it to the garage... which i havent yet .....

Back