Reviving a old 48k spectrum

kegnkiwi

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys over the Christmas period I have been having a play around bringing my old speccy 48k back to life. It was missing the power supply so I used my regulated power supply at 9v and it was missing a TV out cable, so I made one up using a phono lead to rf plug. After working out the power lead was 9v positive on the outer case not inner pin the speccy booted. Although not a great picture it was working. I bought a new 3amp supply and it booted fine. I left it running for 5 mins came back and the screen had frozen. I tried rebooting it and now it seems it's in a boot loop. I have had a look around the board and I think I see a blown vishay Cap. It's 4.7uf @ 25v. If I cut the cap leaving it's prongs exposed can I just stick a 4.7uf 25v standard cap in there to test?

Attachments

• IMG_20211229_120826.jpg
    IMG_20211229_120826.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20211229_115824.jpg
    IMG_20211229_115824.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 12
As a test yes but you can buy the 4.7uf 25v axial easily enough. Mouser stock Vishay axial capacitors.
The cap is definitely faulty. Would be best to replace all the electrolytics while your at it.

Yeh what I've read is they can easily go. Going to try this first and then see where i go from there. Would you normally cut the tabs or resolder directly onto the board. I just don't want to damage the board.

Repairing the Vu+ Duos back in the day i always just cut the tabs never messed with the board out of laziness really to avoid removing the board. I never had issues and well did a few for sat board members.

What worries me in your case is the old caps prongs look corroded so it may be better removing and soldering the new cap into the board.

Last edited:
Repairing the Vu+ Duos back in the day i always just cut the tabs never the board out of laziness really to avoid removing the board. I never had issues and well did a few for sat board members.

What worries me in your case is the old caps prongs look corroded so it may be better removing and soldering the new cap into the board.
I had a little time today and i a quick look around and there seems to be a place you can buy all the caps in a kit from as little as £3.80. I'm not lazy as I would be willing to go direct to the board but the last board i messed with, a tm900 board and i buggered it put trying to remove the viper chip when the psu failed.

Back