ISP Virgin Still The Best ?

That's their own fault. They know some people are only trying to get a better deal so they call your bluff.
In your case, they blinked first :)

I never believe a salesman lol.

They do have a traffic management policy for uploads as it's on their website here.

The upload speed is reduced by 50% it states. This will still be better than what you're getting on TalkTalk now but not sure what upload rate is for TalkTalk fibre.

I'm sure I haven't seen a download speed over 4MByte/s on torrents although I'm using a custom port on a 100Mb connection.

I don't think I have any throttling set in my client... Hmm.

It's possible that VM's DPI (Deep Packet Inspecton) isn't picking up on fact you're using p2p. For example, if you're using a torrent provider that uses SSL.

Virgin only throttle when your downloading gigs and gigs daily, they don't throttle normally if your an average user...

Mick

I think I set a low upload throttle in uTorrent, perhaps I can't request data fast enough.

Need to investigate.

Just read through the pages, and I would say VM is the best broadband provider IMHO.

Been with them since good old diamond cable days, maybe I have been lucky but I have always managed to be able to get top speeds, currently on 152mbps and have managed to download at around 19MB/s but for some reason usenet seems to be around 12MB/s over SSL.

Either way I'm still happy with the speed and service I get. Never used the superhub as a router. Only use it in modem only mode and have and my own ASUS router connected.

Virgin are 2nd to none for speed and reliability,

superhub 2ac is fine on wireless i have my router on the 3rd floor of the house and we get wifi no problem on the ground floor

i currently pay £43.50 for basic tv with Tivo box 1tb, line rental and 200Mb bb

Just wondering what torrent speeds people are getting with VM.

I get ~4MByte/s on a supposed 100Mb connection but that is a "peak time" and using torrents.

Do VM restrict via port (shaping)? I use a custom port. I suppose they could do packet inspection.

ive just been upgraded to 200Mb

when i download a torrent i get 24MB/s, i only download from private sites neve public

and i have a custom port, all forwarded correctly

Last edited:
Virgin are 2nd to none for speed and reliability,

superhub 2ac is fine on wireless i have my router on the 3rd floor of the house and we get wifi no problem on the ground floor

i currently pay £43.50 for basic tv with Tivo box 1tb, line rental and 200Mb bb

ive just been upgraded to 200Mb

when i download a torrent i get 24MB/s, i only download from private sites neve public

and i have a custom port, all forwarded correctly

Would love to see screenshot of your download speeds. My area is yet to be upgraded but don't know when it will be

Would love to see screenshot of your download speeds. My area is yet to be upgraded but don't know when it will be

i had a problem with my router so they sent me a new one out, when i phoned up to activate the new router the gave me the upgrade early, as the automatic upgrade wasnt due for our area until late December early January. (bonus) :D

Speed test

torrent speed

IZNXBfM.jpg.png

these tests we took with 2 zgemmas on and streaming :)

Last edited:
for me virgin has never been best. sure, the headline speed is fast ....... but if you download too much then hey, there go the brakes!

@Rat

has virgin been fitted yet, if so how you getting on with it any issue with wifi or box :)

Last edited by a moderator:
for me virgin has never been best. sure, the headline speed is fast ....... but if you download too much then hey, there go the brakes!

reminiscing the good old days u could scan and change the mac :)

i never have a problem with throttling downloads, i keep my connections quite low. You could use a VPN to bypass it tho im sure!

They were up to something in Leeds last night. It was like the dial up days. All ok now though thank god

They were up to something in Leeds last night. It was like the dial up days. All ok now though thank god

think there at it around here I'm getting 8mb download out of 152mb connection :(

Just phoned Virgin and brought it forward :) spoke to a nice American chap who processed my query within minutes and there was no misunderstandings
what a joy to speak to someone who understands what I'm saying instantly and processed without and miscommunication :)

Roll on Tuesday !!!

Virgin all self installed :) easy enough

As said previous Im used to between 5/6MB max, just done a speed test and getting just under 55MB :)

Happy Days

@Rat glad its gone all great for you mate but let ne know your speed during peak times when your downloading, are you using torrents or newsgroups?

we had a broadband fault at approximately 9:45 pm on 25-10-2015 , it lasted all night and came on back the next day about 10:30 in the morning. anybody know wemail address for virgin complaints, i phoned the night it happened took ages to get through, and when i did i was cut off twice..pathetic customer service...the other odd thing is it says my so called free upgrade to 70 meg will happen in feb 2016, yet bloke on my street has had new line installed and have given him 70 meg already...it seems that virgin offer a greater deal to new customers then those that have been with them for ages...

Back