ISP Virgin Still The Best ?

Use both but I tend to use torrents most of the time
I will check @johnny bravo
I done a torrent this morning and was getting 2.5mb... on a speedtest last night it came in at just under 55mb
everything is over wifi and this laptop does not have a 5G wifi if this makes a big difference ?

Last edited by a moderator:
customer service and virgin media is like doing the lottery, most of the time you get is a foreign person on the other end that know feck all, but on the odd occasion you get someone that speak clear English and knows what they are talking about and are will to help.

last time I rang it was about my IP address been DDos attacked from a game forum my sons used (not no more) they didn't have a fecking clue what a DDos attack was, went through 3 advisers, in the end they put me through to an tech engineer he sorted it with in 5 mins the time it took the router to reboot he changed ip address for me.

Wifi will make a lot difference when downloading, mine goes up down loads, so I tend to remote desktop to PC and just download on that instead. Always get good steady speed.

Just noticed something really annoying and hopefully its a mistake. My online account says I'm on 100mb and opt in for new 200mb service when its ready in my area but im pay for 152mb already!?

Was on hold for about 20 minutes then hung up and doesn't appear to have any online chat. Hope they haven't downgraded my account.

Just noticed something really annoying and hopefully its a mistake. My online account says I'm on 100mb and opt in for new 200mb service when its ready in my area but im pay for 152mb already!?

Was on hold for about 20 minutes then hung up and doesn't appear to have any online chat. Hope they haven't downgraded my account.

Just an update, back in march I took a retention deal which was meant to reduce the price only, but they reduced the speed too. Called the Customer Service team who confirmed I was misled and the notes to actually confirm I should be on 152mb.

To fix this they upgrading me to 200mb and going leave my price the same which I found cheeky as I have been paying 7 months for 152mb and only getting 100mb.

They laughed when I said I don't sit at my screen check my speeds every minute but took about 30mins and can defiantly say VM are the best ISP in the UK.

well i phoned virgin yesterday and complained about virgin hanging the phone up on me when there was a fault at the mentioned date, It was an english speaking lady, someone i could understand, that shoudnt be happening she said so she credited my account with £21 so that covers my increase of £1.75 for the next 12 months but more then likely virgin will increase their prices again before the 12 months is out...

downloading rogue nation from newsgropus..heres my speed..2.9Mbps...pants lol..

Can mod delete my screen shot please

Last edited by a moderator:
Im with BT infinity 85mb dl 20mb ul. But the key to optimizing your network potential if its for downloading is to ensure your homework is not just wifi as the bandwidth fluctuates terribly over wifi.
Get yourself a PC hard wired with a 1000mbs network adaptor that you can terminal onto ie from the laptop. From the router (which ever provider you go for) use the 1000mbs (1GB) slot. Depending which router you get could be 1 slot or all, cat5e (or cat6) ethernet and connect this to your PC/NAS device. Get the hard wired PC/NAS to do the downloading for you via newsgroups. Ideally anything branching off the router all should be on a 1000mbs making file transfer quick and easy!

A little thought about your home network can go along way :banana:

Just got my SH2 today and activated 200mb broadband and have to say I'm impressed, downloading ~19-20MB/s using usenet.

~

Attachments

• 200mb.jpg
    200mb.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 36
  • 200mb.jpg
    200mb.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Just a update
WiFi has been fine :) no drop outs and everyone/thing connected fine :)

Just a update
WiFi has been fine :) no drop outs and everyone/thing connected fine :)

Tip: For devices using video streaming using 5ghz and for devices used for browsing and general wifi connectivity like STB use 2.4ghz

what's the best site for testing speed these days, I used to use bbmax but that has gone

this is what I get on 2.4 connection

Attachments

• speedtest.png
    speedtest.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 36
I use speedtest.net and pingtest.net.

i get 60mbs down but only 5mbs up on virgin, but time of day makes a difference too, i'm on their 50mbs package which they say will be upgraded to 70mbs very soon but perhaps already is!

This is what I get on 100meg wired d/l at 9.30PM on a Friday night.

you do your speed test hard wired or wireless ?
this is what I got yesterday @ around 5.30pm wireless, on 50meg

Attachments

• speed test.JPG
    speed test.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 26
Back