Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Virgin or BT Infinity?

Mark_The_Yid

VIP Member
VIP Member
I'm currently on virgin with 20mb bb. I wanna speed it up to something bigger like 60mb. I currently pay £35 per month for the phone, eve & w/end calls and the BB as well as a M tv package that I dont use at all :)

Having looked at the BT infinity I can get "up to" 76mb BB with a "up to" 20mb upload speed as well as the phone line rental and it works out to £36.75 per month. Now on paper this is about what I pay now and less than upgrading to virgins 60mb package. I would also receive from BT a £25 sainsburys gift card, the first 3 months at £6 off per month and through quidco I can get £85 cashback.

So with all that in mind I would like to ask for some opinions on what I should do. Stick with virgin or move to BT.

call vermin and ask them to give you a discount mate bt customer service is piss poor and as for the 25 quid voucher i wouldnt count on that
i was ment to get a 50 quid voucher and been waiting 70 days + since i got installed , most of there call centers are in india and cant understand you
even there forum team has not got back to me in 3 day's
my advice call vermin and get them to match the internet speed and cost

your doing ok with virgin m8... i pay £31.50PM for 10 meg BB, evening+weekend calls and no tv, regards mdt

Bt infinity is pish tbh. Mate had it. Was getting 33mb down and 10 up but it dropped more times than a prostitutes knickers

your doing ok with virgin m8... i pay £31.50PM for 10 meg BB, evening+weekend calls and no tv, regards mdt

Pretty much what I'm on except I have just had the downstream speed doubled. Upstream still only 1 mb tho :(

vermin are good at giving discounts mate if your out of contract call them and ask to speak to the retention team and threaten to move
as you can get much faster net and save money
i am on bt infinity and the service is good but the customer service is the shocking to say the least
i am still waiting on my 50 voucher for joining and was told today i have to wait another 60 days

For me no comparison been with virgin the old cable & ,ntl for over 18 years I pay 37.00 for 100 meg ,wireless is spot on , maybe 2 times I've had to call them in all the time I've been with them .

Just got off the phone to virgin. They offered 60mb broadband and phone with eve and weekend calls for £32.50. Starts a new 12 month contract but the discount is for 24 months. The downstream is still at 3mb but once upgrade is complete it will be 6mb. Whats your thoughts?

id say thats pretty good,
im paying around that for 30meg, basic tv which i dont use and phone that i dont use...

id say thats pretty good,
im paying around that for 30meg, basic tv which i dont use and phone that i dont use...

Presuming you are not upgraded yet then that sounds like what they have offered. Our area download speeds were doubled this month

thats not really a deal mate as vermin take 18.50 per month for 60 meg and then 13.90 for line rental
if you where a new customer you would get the broadband halfprice for 6 months

so ask them about that and there not giving you a discount at all

and to add insult to injury I have been paying £35 per month for 10mb (now 20mb) when they are selling 30mb for £28.40!

Ive got infinity 2 mate, and its pretty good... warning tho, the bt home hub 3 is poop lol It cant handle the speed it seems, I am using a dlink DIR615 with the openreach modem (infinity white one). Just run a speed test and got Namesco BroadbandMax Bandwidth speedtest | Test your ADSL connection speed

I was only getting 30meg up with their homehub.... they are looking into the problem with the hub.

I pay £28 pm I think for infintiy 2 .. upto 80 meg d/l and 20 u/l ... free anytime landline calls, inc 0870 + 0845.

if you aint seen the new vm pagkages..

£35 +lr gets you 60mb + xl tv (tivo+hdbox) + eve &we calls.

call up about getting better deals as they had massive reshuffle

Well I have been on the phone to them for 72 minutes! :)

I ended up getting 100mb broadband and phone for £35. 60mb would have made it £30. I then squeezed £2 off caller display to get it for 25p lol

Basically that was the lowest he said he could go to and believe me I worked him hard :)

Fairly happy with the result. Thanks for all the replies guys.

Back