Virgin Media

Definitely a ropey cable or something then.

The worrying bit is that it's supposed to be fibre to the cabinet and I'm very close to the headend. I'm not too far from a cabinet either.

I had something similar a couple of years back.

Constant dropouts, and modem reboots.

Turned out I had 2 splitters in the line (that I had forgotten about over the years), 1 was feeding the other, and 1 feed was not connected to anything.

Removed the un-needed splitter and the problem vanished.

I had something similar a couple of years back.

Constant dropouts, and modem reboots.

Turned out I had 2 splitters in the line (that I had forgotten about over the years), 1 was feeding the other, and 1 feed was not connected to anything.

Removed the un-needed splitter and the problem vanished.

I have a direct connection to the indoor wall box. I cut and crimped the cable myself and have used it for years, the only disturbances have been when changing modems three times since 2001, or whenever it was. The cable isn't tacked to anything so there hasn't been any bending or compression and there are loops of free cable so I don't think it has been stressed in any way. Possibly degradation due to age but that would be true of all other cabling outside my house and the one I installed is newer.

Kirsty, or whatever she was called, in New Delhi, said there was a problem in my postcode although nothing visible on the status page now.

My SB5100 was solid for years on end.

Try a new cable run, got to be worth a shot.

I might get round to it as I have some shorter lengths with connectors on. I ran out of the F connectors years ago for the larger diameter cable I have.

Errors which I can see in the modem log seem to all be T3 errors, which point to faults at their end though.

I never really have issues with vermin.
Im not really in my home as much recently but have vermin there. Was paying them £37:25 for 100mbps.
(just broadband no TV)

Only off phone to the robbing fookers and she asked “how can i help”.
Straight up with “get it out, giving 28 days notice fed up with price rise every few months”.
She said they would drop it to £33 and said no. Was then put through to another department and got it down £23 but speed lowered to 50mbps.

Cant complain as never really use it at other home.
So £14 a month saving for few minutes on phone.

I might get round to it as I have some shorter lengths with connectors on. I ran out of the F connectors years ago for the larger diameter cable I have.

Errors which I can see in the modem log seem to all be T3 errors, which point to faults at their end though.
It was T3 errors that I was getting, I was convinced it was a problem there end, I even went as far as disconnecting all "none standard" equipment from the end of the feeds in the house so they could login and check it from there end.

Once that splitter was removed, the problem vanished and my signal level dropped (increased, as they work backwards with signal levels).

It was T3 errors that I was getting, I was convinced it was a problem there end, I even went as far as disconnecting all "none standard" equipment from the end of the feeds in the house so they could login and check it from there end.

Once that splitter was removed, the problem vanished and my signal level dropped (increased, as they work backwards with signal levels).

My signal levels are within the specifications of the modem and not far from optimal. I do notice a variation (possibly with temperature) and from what I've read it could be something to do with the new street cabinets (Cisco?). As I understand, VM operate a Passive Optical Network (PON) to the cabinets so I'm not too confident about their fault detection capability.

I never really have issues with vermin.
Im not really in my home as much recently but have vermin there. Was paying them £37:25 for 100mbps.
(just broadband no TV)

Only off phone to the robbing fookers and she asked “how can i help”.
Straight up with “get it out, giving 28 days notice fed up with price rise every few months”.
She said they would drop it to £33 and said no. Was then put through to another department and got it down £23 but speed lowered to 50mbps.

Cant complain as never really use it at other home.
So £14 a month saving for few minutes on phone.

My connection was solid for years from when I got free upgrades 30Mb up to 150Mb or whatever it was LOL. I'd been on 150Mb for a long time and saw that I could to to VIVID200 for a small amount or VIVID350 for about £6. At the price of two pints I may as well have the 350Mb and it might fix my problem by involving a new modem.

It seemed flaky in the week before I upgraded which involved changing from a SH2 to a SH3. I've only ever used modem mode and small business class routers and switches.

My signal levels are within the specifications of the modem and not far from optimal. I do notice a variation (possibly with temperature) and from what I've read it could be something to do with the new street cabinets (Cisco?). As I understand, VM operate a Passive Optical Network (PON) to the cabinets so I'm not too confident about their fault detection capability.

My connection was solid for years from when I got free upgrades 30Mb up to 150Mb or whatever it was LOL. I'd been on 150Mb for a long time and saw that I could to to VIVID200 for a small amount or VIVID350 for about £6. At the price of two pints I may as well have the 350Mb and it might fix my problem by involving a new modem.

It seemed flaky in the week before I upgraded which involved changing from a SH2 to a SH3. I've only ever used modem mode and small business class routers and switches.

My signal was also within the limits, however it was at the top end of what the SH2 would allow (54/55dBmV ), once the splitter was removed, it dropped to around the middle of the scale (46 - 55dBmV iirc) at around 51dBmV.

I also started to get similar issue's with the SH3 when it was first installed, however I resolved that by removing it from the splitter and connecting it to the other virmin port in my house (we have 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs), so by moving the SH3 into the other room and giving it it's own feed, the signal dropped right down to 47/48dBmV and i've had no issue's at all since (touch wood).

My signal was also within the limits, however it was at the top end of what the SH2 would allow (54/55dBmV ), once the splitter was removed, it dropped to around the middle of the scale (46 - 55dBmV iirc) at around 51dBmV.

I also started to get similar issue's with the SH3 when it was first installed, however I resolved that by removing it from the splitter and connecting it to the other virmin port in my house (we have 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs), so by moving the SH3 into the other room and giving it it's own feed, the signal dropped right down to 47/48dBmV and i've had no issue's at all since (touch wood).

Those look like upstream powers. My signal powers do fluctuate but in the grand scheme of things, not by much.

Those look like upstream powers. My signal powers do fluctuate but in the grand scheme of things, not by much.
Sorry it was the SNR (db) not the Power(dBmV) (always get them mixed up).

I know VM people search, waiting for one to drop in ;). Maybe they are banned from doing that now and have to lurk on their useless forum where it takes literally one week for a reply.

I can probably map if it's maintenance by measuring connectivity every few minutes then comparing it by week, or something. Someone I know through friends used to work at VM locally, shame I'm not in contact now as I think they could shed some light on it.

Read somewhere todat they voted the worst bb provider in uk by which survey. Think that could be down they are biggest so eill have the most complaints. I cant believe they charge what they can from everyone and no hold barred.

Angry customers took to Twitter to vent their frustrations.
'My Virgin Media WiFi is down and tele. What am I meant to do with my life', tweeted Birmingham-based user Ryan Seal.
how about getting a real life lol.
no problems with mine at all.

Read somewhere todat they voted the worst bb provider in uk by which survey. Think that could be down they are biggest so eill have the most complaints. I cant believe they charge what they can from everyone and no hold barred.

From the last one I saw, VM wasn't even in the top 3 for complaints. It was BT, then Talk Talk, then Vodafone I believe.

I pay a bit of a premium of £39.00 for 200mb internet but it is really quite stable. Most nights I check the speed with a hard wired android box and around 8pm when I start to watch tv is usually around 220mb down and 12mb up. I think its a reasonable service. Now there call center staff are not a patch on sky's.

I pay a bit of a premium of £39.00 for 200mb internet but it is really quite stable. Most nights I check the speed with a hard wired android box and around 8pm when I start to watch tv is usually around 220mb down and 12mb up. I think its a reasonable service. Now there call center staff are not a patch on sky's.

Sadly all call centres are now predominently in India or the Phillipines, where they're paid peanuts, and dont really care. But then from a business point of view, why are you going to pay someone in the UK 20x what you can pay someone in india. Makes no commercial sense at all.

Also having read the article, there were some glaring errors in the whole thing. Mainly that the majority of the UK network is copper based. That in fact would be inaccurate, majority of it is fibre based, especially the older NTL network, as that is what nearly made them go bankrupt. Also even the core BT network would predominantly be fibre, copper just wouldn't be able to handle the levels of traffic being broadcast. Going forward, the more we move to FTTC/FTTP networks then the more stable our connections will become, the problem really is the complete lack of competition in the wholesale network arena. Currently you have 2 options, BT Openreach or VM, with some limited infra from HyperOptic although I think they just share the VM network.

I don’t really have time to call their bluff etc. I rang them last week and actually spoke to a lad in Scotland (mainly about football LOL) it seems to me they will only price match whatever the cheapest alternative is, I was offered to keep what I’m on now

100Mb BB + talk weekends - £29

land line rental, £19

- £4 promo offer

Which is £44, if I log into my account I can have

Player bundle :-

Vivid 350Mb

Player TV 70+ channels

Talk weekends

For £0 - £44 per month! For the first 12 months

The offer on the phone was, as I have for £40 + £50 credit £35.83 pm

I never took it but also did not cancel, as it would case me massive grief having to change email addy if I did have to cancel.

Is this about the best ATM? Also other providers all want an 18 month contract!

Back