Virgin free 10 meg upgrade

hang on a mo its not about what speed we get,how much we can download, its about why customers are lied to.If i pay for a 20meg conection i expect a 20 meg conection.Sorry next time im in the pub and only get 3 pints,after ordering 5 ill just accept it To state 8meg,10meg,20meg, then limit by capping is wrong. In this country were told oooooh be happy with what youve got for far to long, Companies dont see customers as customers, just irritations. Asia 100meg England 20meg capped and as for high taxes er i recall Englang is one of the highest tax bracket countries in the world.
The argument isnt abut oh i can now download ten films,games, or whatever its about service and if a service isnt attainable then it shouldnt be offered as such .

think i should av saved this for the rant room ..............LOL please read the small print on reverse

I agree with you there m8 :Clap:

Untill people of this country start to get up off there backside and stand up to the things they beleive in there will be no change made to anything, fuel,advertising, i could go on but i think you get the point im making here !:proud:

hang on a mo its not about what speed we get,how much we can download, its about why customers are lied to.....

Which I think is pretty much what I was trying to say. The problem isn't really with the product (which is adequate to the job) but about the way in which it is sold using misleading information and "industry standard" definitions.

Asia 100meg England 20meg capped

If you've ever actually tried to use 100Meg anywhere in asia then you'll probably end up thinking VM is wonderful. The 100Meg is very limited in its availability, is very variable in its actual achieved speed and tends to be so heavily contended that its almost unusable.

Also, wiring up the odd city or large population centre is relatively easy in comparison to trying to make such a system available to your whole population. The costs of installation of such systems are also vastly different. Labour costs in Asia aren't much above slavery levels !

Why not just set your downloads to start at midnight and turn off about 9 in the morning? thats what i do and STM doesn't affect me then. Admittedly we shouldn't have to do this but thats the way around it if you want to download.

just having a read through this thread and i`m in total agreement with the guys who pay for a service that the companies obviously cannot provide !!! i pay £26-00 per moth for 20meg and only get arounf 10meg so why not charge me £13-00 and i`d be VERY HAPPY cos im getting WHAT I PAY FOR !!!!
surely some omanbusdman lol or watever has some law it can use to stop these companies saying " 20GB INTERNET sign up £26-00 per mth " and u get half of wat you pay for""" THIS IS ILLEGAL!!! ""
i am in buisness for myself and if i told a customer i was going to PAINT his FULL house for £2000-00 and f-k`d of with his cash and only did HALF OF IT !!! i`d expect to get my ASS HAULED UP IN COURT for it so WHY ARN`T they !!!!

the issuse here isn`t wat speeds are sustanable or how nuch speed do u really need !!! its about BEING CHARGED FOR WHAT WE ARE NOT GETTING !!!!!! PLAIN AND BLOODY SIMPLE !!!!! ( sorry i got carried away there lol !! )

Last edited:
just having a read through this thread and i`m in total agreement with the guys who pay for a service that the companies obviously cannot provide !!! i pay £26-00 per moth for 20meg and only get arounf 10meg so why not charge me £13-00 and i`d be VERY HAPPY cos im getting WHAT I PAY FOR !!!!

Well, thats the thing isn't it. If you read all the small print and look at all the terms and conditions then you are getting exactly what you pay for. Agreed that some of the headline marketing spiel is misleading but thats another issue entirely

Its an unfortunate reality that bandwidth costs money and it seems that some people have a very unrealistic expectation of what £21 per month will buy them (btw, why are you paying £26 per month ??? - renegotiate your contract !)

£21/£26 per month, simply put, will buy you little more than an entry level consumer broadband package. On that kind of package you can expect contention which means that the speed will always be variable depending on the number of other customers you are competing with at any particular time for the available bandwidth.

Dee £26 per month for 20 meg ! I pay £26 for a 4 meg with Vm .I have a few (extras) so i don't really mind after all we don't want them to go bust do we BUT if i was just getting 4 meg for that price i would be spitting feathers.The other way round it is to use a business config = 20 meg and no capping + uploads of 11 meg thats what i do

i did have it for £17-50 (half price all last year ) but when that deal ran out £26 ( they offered me 4 meg for £17-50 !! when i was getting 20 for that exact price!!) was the best offer i got cos i dont want any of ther other products , so i pay it at the mo cos avnt had time to look around and threaten them with leaving like i did b4 , but when i get a min i ite take full package out with them and c wat price i get offered fot that , not sure wat u mean charlie ?? business config ??

Dee your using a 20 meg config that VM give you for £26 .A lot of guys are using a 20 meg connection but maybe paying for a 4 meg one (nod nod wink wink).Using a cloned modem its possible to get 20 meg by using a config file to upgrade the original speed from 4 meg to 20 meg .There is a business config that will give you 20 meg 24/7 no capping

There is a business config that will give you 20 meg 24/7 no capping

Business configs now seem to be stm'd in my area although the time is very different to the normal stm times (stm seems to kick in from 5pm till 5am daily). I am in one of the "lucky" test area's though !

Well at the moment Nozzer its working fine in my area .But surely if its a business config then there are going to be a lot of unhappy companies out there that are getting capped.I don't know what they have to pay for a business config but i assume its got to be more than a home user would pay in which case Why would they pay for it if its just the same as what the normal home user gets ?

Great thread very informative. Thanks for the info nozzer.

Well at the moment Nozzer its working fine in my area .But surely if its a business config then there are going to be a lot of unhappy companies out there that are getting capped.I don't know what they have to pay for a business config but i assume its got to be more than a home user would pay in which case Why would they pay for it if its just the same as what the normal home user gets ?

I think the cost differences are mainly down to the availability of a special business helpline, a guaranteed fix time if the line goes down and, to a lesser extent, lower contention ratios.

VM's main business offerings are really meant for small companies and are really not too different from the standard domestic offering (apart from what I mentioned above).

A lot of small companies do opt to go for the standard domestic offerings seeing no real advantage to the commercial offerings but unfortunately VM dont allow domestic connections in a business premises so unless you work from a dwelling your pretty stuffed !

Anyone on 20 meg had a free upgrade to 30 meg. Take a look at my sig and to test it wasnt a one off i got a couple of result that were all over 20 meg.

Back