Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Virgin 30mb - what are the restrictions?

M3NTAL

Banned
I'm thinking of upgrading my Virgin BB from 10 to 30 Mbps.

Is it worth it, as won't they cripple my download speed if I download over a certain amount during the day/evening?

Currently with my 10mbps connection if I download over around 5Gb they reduce my speed from 1200kBps to a measly 250kBps, what are the limits on the 30Mb service?

Yes there are limited during the day and evening till 9pm after which they throttle your speed for 5 hours. Only 50 and 100mb services have no download caps.

If you check fair usage on the virginmedia website its all detailed on there.

Our traffic management policy

they also traffic shhape when you are useing newsgroups and torrents at certain times. i upgraded from 20 to 30 and have noticed the difference it is better imho.

Yes there are limited during the day and evening till 9pm after which they throttle your speed for 5 hours. Only 50 and 100mb services have no download caps.

If you check fair usage on the virginmedia website its all detailed on there.

Cant speak for 100mb but my 50mb is throttled badly during the day, both downloads and upload until midnight, then I get full speed until 9am.

Cant speak for 100mb but my 50mb is throttled badly during the day, both downloads and upload until midnight, then I get full speed until 9am.

50 mb is only throttled for P2P and newsgroups

I believe there is upload throttled based on volume on the 100mb service

they done the same with me phone up and complain they kept telling me it wasn't capped which i knew it was told them to take it out not been capped since

So I can hammer it after 9pm until 9am, but only download 10Gb between 9am - 4pm, if I reach this limit I'm restricted to only 25% of my bandwidth for a period of 5 hours?

sounds about right. but bear in mind you dont always get throttled it depends on if you are in the top 5% of downloaders.

sounds about right. but bear in mind you dont always get throttled it depends on if you are in the top 5% of downloaders.

I get throttled daily, some days I don't download anything but on the days I go over about 4Gb I'm crippled and it seems to last all day. :(

How do they work out who is in the top 5%. Do they base it on daily limits, monthly, general usage?

still 25% of 30 meg some of the time you use it is still better than most of the alternativs depending on how close to an exchange you are. like i say it doesnt bother me but i dont cane the crap out of it duering the day that often.

Back