blooming virgin broadband

audiobookman

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi guys
how many of you have noticed how crap the broadband is in the last week or so, well i have.
i currently have 120mb bb (as well as a massive tivo package (3tivos)), anyways i also have an elderly inlaws that ive set up plex so they can view my server.
this has always been very reliable even when bashing the broadband my end, ive limited thier bandwith to 1mb.
Virgin decided last week to put in new throttle, not advertised it, just put it on though the back doors (check thier forums and you will see the disgust).
they are trying something new, if you upload or download xx amount in the first hour you get 50% cut in speed, now the limit can be hit in minutes, but if you carry on using your broadband you have payed for they will downgrade your connection by 75%, but also your latency increases so online gaming becomes impossible.
Youtube will always buffer, and worst of all i get the phone call from my inlaws asking what buffereing is.

virgin tech support told me that too much data will break things???!!!!! i called him on it as bs, the network is suffereing because they have pushed 120mb and dont have the infrastructure to cope with these speeds.
ive personally had enough, after being foisted with a superdud router and now this, cost increases and bandwidth constantly cut i can see a future with bt infinity or sky fttc.

ive been with virmin since 1994 and this is the way they are treating thier customers - who needs them.
broken promises (you will never be capped was how 100mb was sold to me). total rubbish now. talk about throw a excellent network down the toilet.

i like the tivos and would like to keep them, but the cost per month just to keep that service is going to force me to move.

anyone else notice how awful the service is now?

You've been lucky to only just start getting problems mate if you look on vermin forums there are loads complaining personally I reported the problem I'm having basically the same as yours in may last year and they've been giving me a fix date every month since recently they finally gave me of a definite-ish date of November 2013 as soon as I can get infinity I will.

Ive noticed an improvement of late...... but I thinks thats because I think they have upgraded my area recently...NG

This month I've been getting speeds of 8meg, I'm paying for 30meg, not had 30meg all month. P155ed off.:Kickassro

They put the "speed number" up but increase the contention.

Mine is supposed to be 50meg, just tested at 58.7meg.
I must be getting the "spare".:D

well mines is 60mb and for a change I did a check 2 secs ago and am getting 61mb so cant complain TODAY but I might tomorrow :) no what there like though, some days im getting 20 mb or less, maybe coz I aint downloaded much today.
that's probably the reason, to good to be true

still trying to work out how virgin works out this is a good move for them as bt and others have talking of all the limits

thing is chaps at the end of the day, we all moan i too have had problems with speed but even at its worst it beats adsl max i can get in my area is 14mb which is crap, i pay for 30mb of virgin and they doubled it and to be honest speed is not the real issue, its the shit superhub they give out, just had mine changed and i must admit its better, but still not 100% reliable as the old routers use to be.

i totally agree with the superdud statement, and i also agree with adsl being worst, but im lucky as i have fttc and ftth option so the downloads are around 60mb but upside is 19mb!!. my current speeds that i took about 4 mins ago was 30mb down and 1.7mb up, not bad for a 120mb connection......
ive turned off all bit torrent, and all my uploading / downloading to see if i could avoid the 75% cap today (plus we were at chessington all day) and it looks like im being capped anyways, nice one virgin

i totally agree with the superdud statement, and i also agree with adsl being worst, but im lucky as i have fttc and ftth option so the downloads are around 60mb but upside is 19mb!!. my current speeds that i took about 4 mins ago was 30mb down and 1.7mb up, not bad for a 120mb connection......
ive turned off all bit torrent, and all my uploading / downloading to see if i could avoid the 75% cap today (plus we were at chessington all day) and it looks like im being capped anyways, nice one virgin

Are you recording your upload / download stats ? Are you sure you don't have rouge process running ?

lol na my network was completly shut down inc modem (done it deliberately to see if it made any difference to my speeds) . i think they just cap you for the sake of capping now, especially if you do normally use a lot of data.
sad part is i can actually shift more data up using my 3 mobile note 2 than i can now on my top tier broadband package with virmin.

i think they just cap you for the sake of capping now, especially if you do normally use a lot of data.

I think your right with that I use a lot of data during the day/night and I was getting crap speeds days on end but recently I've been away most weeks during the week so I gave it try when I got back on saturday and downloaded 15gb without hitting any cap during the day and the speeds have been spot on but when I start to use it as I normally would after a few days I start to notice I never hit 30mb.

I've just upgraded to 60mps and getting 60+ in the mornings and 9mps in the evening, taking the p155, again.

Yeah they've basically applied the usage cap to the 60mb connection now so you can be throttled with that now too and it may even be all across the board on every connection now I personally can't wait for infinity to come to my area now

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

It is across all packages. I'm now switching to sky fibre unlimited, as much as I detest sky the broad band packages are very good. Also their packages are only 12 month contracts where BT is 18 months.
I'm still torn over TiVo I'm gonna ring them in the morning again too see if they want to keep any of my business.
Virgin has taken a fantastic network and flushed it down the toilet. Again today for nearly the whole day my speeds were 20 down 1.1 up. I shifted only 2gb beforehand, virgin cs agent said that if you have hit a certain amount in the month then they will throttle you all the time at peak times (this they have failed to mention anywhere) so I'm paying for 120mb now and getting less than 25% speeds all the time as I've hit that magic number. The most annoying part is when I'm under stm my ping is through the roof, last check this afternoon noon it was at 102ms, this makes the service unusable now web pages often time out or when they do load are corrupt 28kbs modems were faster (even gmail says it loading the http version for slower connections), as soon as the throttle stops its back down to around 18ms. So in reality for me they are cutting me off not throttling me now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Back