Vigin media superhub

amirhonda

Inactive User
Reaction score
Well i just have to say the virgin media super hub is not as super as they say it is. ive had the engineers out about five times they have changed the hub 3 times. The wifi signal from these super hubs is weak/proof.

Since i upgraded from the normal virgin router and modem, my tv keeps losing connection with superhub while i watch catch up tv. (tv has wifi) i never had this problem with old virgin router and modem. and even using my laptop i lose connection so ive resulted in hard wiring my connection. which cures the problem but defeats the whole object of the super hub.

your not the only one with this issue mine has dickey fits at times drives me mad, i was told a long while ago they was going to replace them with a new model with Ariel's again, but nothing has come of it.

Seems to be hit and miss. Mine has always been fine. 60- 80 meg on wifi and 100 meg on wired.

Yup there is deffo a slight problem with wi-fi range but since the new firmware update the other month it is a lot more stable and mine stopped dropping out.

I got that fed up of the wi-fi range though, I bought four 15 meter Ethernet cables of Ebay and hard wired 2 consoles and two sat boxes, however my lappy is still Wi-Fi and also all are phones and ipad and all stream fine. I think if you assign static IP addresses of your devices in the router it really helps things stay stable.

Best thing to do if your still having problem's stick it in modem mode and run another router of it with better range.

I am guessing that VM are aware of the problem as I am sure I saw some announcement that they are changing the supplier later this year.

On a side note, I am still happily using my old modem with my 100mb connection with no problems regardless of what VM say.

I am guessing that VM are aware of the problem as I am sure I saw some announcement that they are changing the supplier later this year.

On a side note, I am still happily using my old modem with my 100mb connection with no problems regardless of what VM say.

Which Modem? My Linksys only works up to 30mb on 60Mb connection?

Which Modem? My Linksys only works up to 30mb on 60Mb connection?

thats the problem m8 i have looked about and the good one's are 90quid plus we shouldn't have to pay this extra.

what they don't tell you is my connection is 60mb but wireless to the laptop i only get 30mb, needs to be hard wired to get full speed its just a con, just hoping the new company thats taken over will be better but i don't hold much hope :( plus if you have older device's connected via wireless you have to drop speed to 144mbps so they can connect, the new N rated laptops will run happily at 300mbps.

below is the superhub they give out now made by netgear.

Attachments

• Superhub.jpg
    Superhub.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
what they don't tell you is my connection is 60mb but wireless to the laptop i only get 30mb, needs to be hard wired to get full speed its just a con, just hoping the new company thats taken over will be better but i don't hold much hope :( plus if you have older device's connected via wireless you have to drop speed to 144mbps so they can connect, the new N rated laptops will run happily at 300mbps.

below is the superhub they give out now made by netgear.

Intresting info about the laptop's droping to 144mbps but a little look on ebay and you can upgrade most lappy wi-fi cards to N rate for under a £10.

The Super Hub does suck on wi-fi range, but I have to admitt I find it very user friendly, the easiest router Ive had me hands on to configure to be honest, but the fact that the signal strength is so weak is a massive problem and should be addressed.

Virgin should recall the routers and ship out new ones as no firmware upgrade has solved the problem.

found this elsewhere.

Ok since I last posted I decided to switch my not so super hub into modem mode(WiFi off) and connected to the hub a netgear dual band wireless N router brought off eBay for 35quid.
Then connected my kV 780 to the new router. After using this method for over a week I have seen a vast improvement I rarely get a scrambled message with loss of picture. And channels that were previously terrible are watchable again as at worst the picture will freeze every 5mins or so for 2secs with the sound continuing then picture resumes.
I know this may not work for every but if ur still struggling with bad reliability buying a decent 300m wireless N router for 20quid and using this method I highly recommend.
At worst if this method doesn't improve your viewing you'll have better WiFi range as in my case and many others the super hubs wireless signal was poor.

i think you will find the problem with your TV m8 is the server its not as reliable as it used to be before they got busted, from what i have been reading its hit and miss with them a lot of the time, if you can afford it you would be batter getting a 500s and going down the route :).

Had mine a few months now and its bloody awful,tried putting it in modem mode and used my old netgear router which i never had a problem with but signal still kept dropping from time to time so put the superhub back on.... had a virmin engineer come last week to replace my boys tv box in their bedroom so asked him about the superhub and even he said it was a bag of shite and that virmin have lost alot of customers over it...he said he wasnt sure if it was netgear that suppled dodgy routers or if virgin had bought shat loads of cheap cack routers...What settings have you guys got your hub on.......
Just changed mine to 2.4ghz from 5 to see if that improves anything and switched firewall off,cant be any worse,cant even play me psvita upstairs cuz the signal is so shite :(

I don't have one (yet) but you will actually get worse signal using the 2.4Ghz band than you will on the 5.2Ghz.

Also, make sure you change your wireless card settings to force use of the 20Mhz range and stop broadcasting your SSID

If you keep to 2.4, try to avoid congested channels like 6 or 11, because every bugger in and thereabouts will be using the same.

Firewall has nothing to do with performance.

Last edited:
UPDATE: after setting my router to 2.4 ghz with firewall off now have 2 bars on my phone and have just finished 2 games on cod on me vita with no cut off sat in bed :thumbup:fingers crossed

Sent from my GT-I9100

i thought with them been a n gage router the would transmot on both 2.4ghz and 5.2ghz or I'm i wrong again or is that dual band routers (which i thought virgin was)

Had mine a few months now and its bloody awful,tried putting it in modem mode and used my old netgear router which i never had a problem with but signal still kept dropping from time to time so put the superhub back on.... had a virmin engineer come last week to replace my boys tv box in their bedroom so asked him about the superhub and even he said it was a bag of shite and that virmin have lost alot of customers over it...he said he wasnt sure if it was netgear that suppled dodgy routers or if virgin had bought shat loads of cheap cack routers...What settings have you guys got your hub on.......
Just changed mine to 2.4ghz from 5 to see if that improves anything and switched firewall off,cant be any worse,cant even play me psvita upstairs cuz the signal is so shite :(

i spoke to virgin about signal and they told me to put in modem mode and use my old 54mbps router it will give me 30mb but i told them no because i want 60mb, she did tell me they have fast routers but wouldn't send me one as i hadn't tried everything out to fix, i mean what more is there to try signal there or not playing with it wont help, but she wouldn't send me one. (bitch)

Try calling back and hopefully get a different person to talk with.

Back