Mobile Phones using home wifi with phone

sempi

DW Regular
Reaction score
just got my final bill in from O2 and have a bill for £88 for data (only 1meg allowance) they say the bill is for going over allowance but it was all downloaded thru wifi connection at home using my internet connection and my router?? they said i dont have wifi bolt on and have to pay.
anyone else had this problem and managed to get away from it?
i told them i should be charging them for piggy backing on my internet connection.

Never heard of that before sempi....I always thought your home wifi or any wifi for that was not included in the bill and they only charged for 3g.

I use my wifi quite a lot on my phone and also use worls wifi and have never been charged. I hope you get this sorted m8.

is your home connection via o2 as well?

if not then how can they charge you, you are using your own connection, not o2's.

im sure all companies use unlimited internet?

im with t mobile and my connecton is on 24/7. i download 700mb films using my phone lol never ever been charged for data.

u must have been using the mobile data connection and not been connected to wifi.
I'm on o2, with a Nokia and carefully made all settings use wifi before any mobile data connections

somethings up buddy, they cant charge you for downloading from your wifi lol, thats like charging you twice, also what hiit is this "wifi bolt-on" are o2 having a fecking laugh lol.

edit :

it appears the wifi bolt on is to use there nation wide hotspots, but its not to use your own wifi lol.

ring up complain.

somethings up buddy, they cant charge you for downloading from your wifi lol, thats like charging you twice, also what hiit is this "wifi bolt-on" are o2 having a fecking laugh lol.

edit :

it appears the wifi bolt on is to use there nation wide hotspots, but its not to use your own wifi lol.

ring up complain.

will ring up tomorrow, just sent an email complaining and will see if they reply.

just got my final bill in from O2 and have a bill for £88 for data (only 1meg allowance) they say the bill is for going over allowance but it was all downloaded thru wifi connection at home using my internet connection and my router?? they said i dont have wifi bolt on and have to pay.
anyone else had this problem and managed to get away from it?
i told them i should be charging them for piggy backing on my internet connection.

yep i had it with tmobile and my @ the time nokia n95, i told them im using my wifi connection not the network , i argued the toss for agaes and said to them why would i use there crappy connection when i have a virgin @ the time 10 meg , they wouldnt have any , and rather than me getting wound up and angry , because they was not grasping what i was talking about , i paid what i owed them and left tmobile toss pockets , happily on 02 now with unlimited internet lol, so your not on ya own

looks like my samsung galaxy has cost me £88 then and not free....:(

No way m8 dont let that go,
how the feck can they charge you for using your own wifi,
in fact how can they even tell you are using anybodys wifi unless its theres,
somethings not right m8

i`m not totally sure, but i think the o2 wifi bolt on works by sharing your internet with other users and you get a discount or something, its basically using your own router as a sort of WISP if you would, like i say not sure, cant be arsed googling lol.

im o2 pay as you go and if i use my wifi it doesnt charge me and thats on my nokia elm

I had a similar problem this year, I used the wifi at the hotel to receive my emails on my blackberry when in mauritius and they tried to charge me £95 quid when i got back. I battled for about 2 months and they finally gave in and halved the bill, but that was as far as they would go.

phoned them today and got a supervisor but no change they say I have to pay it, so going to put a complaint in writing and send it recorded delivery if no joy then will contact commumications ombudsman (otelo)

that's bull crap! I use my iPhone on my wifi and download loads every month never been charged a penny for that....they can't charge you for using your OWN wifi! Watchdog! lol

how do phone companies know you are your own wifi?

reason i ask is they shouldnt know you are using your own wifi connection?

so some how you must have connected via 3g and this is why your bill is so high....

i turn mobile data off and 3g whenever i use my iphone on my home wifi connection......

i got stung when i first had my iphone, as i didnt know about apps accessing the 3g data service to update them selves etc.....

unless you have an app installed on your galaxy s to turn off apn settings then im afraid your ,internet is on constantly and as most apps on the phone are connected to the internet alot of the time this is probably where your charges are from . install quick settings app .
and you can disable mobile data,mms etc

update:

found CEO's email online and emailed him, got a reply saying they were sorry i felt i had to email him and someone would be in touch soon, waited about 2 weeks and no reply so i emailed again stating this and also told them i had received a text message from O2 (although i am now with vodafone) and the text message was along the lines of - use your home wifi for free ....so i was not very happy about this.
got a call the next day saying charges were correct as i must have lost wifi connection and went onto 3g as wifi is not charged for and my old tariff only had 1mb of data allowance and they charged by mb for data but now it is £1 per day for going over.

but the nice lady said as a goodwill gesture they had credited my account with the £98....i have checked and they have indeed

sorted

Great news m8 :Clap:

Glad you didnt let it lie,fecking robbing barstewards :)

Great news m8 :Clap:

Glad you didnt let it lie,fecking robbing barstewards :)

never used it myself but have seen unlimited access to wifi?? i was confused maybe this is it using mms to connect through the router unlikley? whats going on?

Back