Ubuntu linux is it any good?

mrmachinegunn

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi there ive been thinking of getting rid of windows from my system and trying linux is there anyone out there that has tryed this and can tell me if i is any good and worth a try?

Its one of the easier ones to use.

its probably better to create a virtual machine 1st so you can play to see if you like it

got to say this is one of the fastest replys ive ever had on forums lol cheers for the advice will give it a go just wondering if i can still download torrents newsgroups ect and burn dvds with it if anyone knows thanks

Lol, it does all of that and more.

One of the good things about this particular version of Linux is that you dont need to install it at all. As MH says, you can use it as a virtual machine. But this doesnt really give you a good indication of whether it will work with all of your hardware.

If you download the image and burn it to disc, you will get the option of using it as a live spin. This means you can boot the OS from the disc without having to install it, plus none of the contents are touched while you do this.

Just remember Linux can be a lot more user intensive and most things are not click and install. Though its a lot more versatile:)

Just remember Linux can be a lot more user intensive and most things are not click and install. Though its a lot more versatile:)

sounds more my kind of thing always feels better when you work all that stuff out yourself

Google it, KDE is the gui. Its a little more like Windows I guess.

I think its just down to some peoples personal preference, there isnt really that many functional differences between Kubuntu and Ubuntu. On Canonicals website they give a fairly good description of all the Ubuntu's (of which there are quite a few).

Personally, I dont really mind KDE or Gnome (which is the gui in Ubuntu).

think ill give it a go today is there any way i can install it along with my windows operating system then delete the windows one so i can keep all my videos ect?

Yeah, I am pretty sure you can dual boot it if you really needed to. But wouldnt it just be easier to put all your videos onto a USB stick instead?

just loaned ma wee sisters ext hard drive so al back it up on that and then install cheers for the info everyone

just installed it and seems to be working ok but does anyone know how to get limewire on it as it doesnt start up and does anyone know if you can share media to a 360 atall?

You would need a AV UPnP server installed on it. A good one to try is media tomb.

As for limewire, I dont know of a linux version for it? You could try using apititude to see if there is a version going. To do this, go on the command line and use:

sudo apt-get install limewire

if that works for you, great - its the easiest way to install it. If not, you will need to track down the .deb or .rpm for Limewire and get it installed that way.

dual booting is a piece of pee with ubuntu it will auto install grub to replace the windows loader, so when you boot you will get an OS choice.

annoyingly though always defaults to linux, this can be by editing a config file.

You would need a AV UPnP server installed on it. A good one to try is media tomb.

As for limewire, I dont know of a linux version for it? You could try using apititude to see if there is a version going. To do this, go on the command line and use:

sudo apt-get install limewire

if that works for you, great - its the easiest way to install it. If not, you will need to track down the .deb or .rpm for Limewire and get it installed that way.

google frostwire mate same as limewire

Hi i have just got kubuntu running on my laptop but how secure is it do i need a separate firewall and antivirus i am using AVG 8 at the moment will this be any good or does it have a built in firewall anti virus

edogg

Back