Ubuntu linux is it any good?

Ok thanks cant be too careful when learning

edogg

Ok thanks cant be too careful when learning

edogg

Most viruses are written for windows anyway mate. Linux is pretty secure. Has a built in firewall and loads of other security . I've been running fedora for nearly 3 years now and i've never had a problem with a virus (Unlike Windows). I've just started playing about with ubuntu and so far i'm fairly impressed.

I have Ubuntu LTS (hardy heron) setup with XP in dual boot. Good OS for everyday stuff like web browsing, etc...open office included, firefox included. Boots and runs a lot faster than windows no worries about spyware, viruses etc...

I tried it, but i couldnt use the specific 'back' and 'forward' buttons for browsing the web. Its also very strange for installing programs, you dont just get an .exe file like in windows. and i couldnt just plug my ipod in and use it...all in all very frustrating

I tried it, but i couldnt use the specific 'back' and 'forward' buttons for browsing the web. Its also very strange for installing programs, you dont just get an .exe file like in windows. and i couldnt just plug my ipod in and use it...all in all very frustrating
I can understand that.

Once you get the hang of aptitude, you may very well find that installing apps is a breeze compared to Windows.

It seems to be good to me, I have it installed on my second computer but I am having a nightmare trying to access a spare NTFS partitioned drive, I wish there was a easy program that would do it all and then tell me how it did it after.

DD

It seems to be good to me, I have it installed on my second computer but I am having a nightmare trying to access a spare NTFS partitioned drive, I wish there was a easy program that would do it all and then tell me how it did it after.

DD
Is the disk in the machine Ubuntu is installed on? Or are you trying to get into it via Samba?

Either way, Ubuntu offers a few ways to do this. It is so easy you will kick yourself once you have done it. If the disk is out on the network somewhere, go to places and then connect to server. That will do the trick for you.

If the disk is in the machine Ubuntu is installed on, you can just use computer to get into it, Ubuntu will read from NTFS with no problems.

I seem to have problems myself just understanding Ubuntu installing ntfs-3g so I can then read NTFS ?

DD

I seem to have problems myself just understanding Ubuntu installing ntfs-3g so I can then read NTFS ?

DD
You dont need to install anything, Ubuntu will read an NTFS partition as it is.

Is the partition on a disc in the machine or is it out on the network?

hi there ive been thinking of getting rid of windows from my system and trying linux is there anyone out there that has tryed this and can tell me if i is any good and worth a try?

i am using it now....
highly recommended
u can still do a dual boot if u dont feel confident to migre to linux

on my pc it works faster than windows, no worries for antivirus, nice interface

recommende :D

karym6

Its in the machine, the PC used to have XP installed on the C drive and the second hard drive formatted with NTFS containing all my files. I then re formatted the C drive and installed UBUNTU on it not touching he second hard drive.

DD

Last edited:
karym6

Its in the machine, the PC used to have XP installed on the C drive and the second hard drive formatted with NTFS containing all my files. I then re formatted the C drive and installed UBUNTU on it not touching he second hard drive.

DD
Ok, so if you go to Places and then Computer, you should see it listed on the left hand side.

Also, do you happen to know what version of Ubuntu you have installed?

Ok, so if you go to Places and then Computer, you should see it listed on the left hand side.

Also, do you happen to know what version of Ubuntu you have installed?

Ican see it as spare 1 but when I click it it shows the error message unable to mount spare 1.

I have ubuntu-7.10 installed.

DD

[ame="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=F1u2eF5PVho"]like to look of this flavour of Ubuntu, downloading now![/ame]

You dont need to download a whole new ubuntu to achieve that effect m8,just download compiz fusion and have a play around with it.

but it comes with loads of pre-installed apps and games in one neat package. Just something to play with and maybe install on a netbook i am going to purchase.

True m8 I thought you were just after the effects.

Back