Trying to reflash my DM500 - totally confused :(

witchy

Banned for good!
Reaction score
I've done this a hundred times and never had a problem, but today it's just not working. :(

For the past few weeks I've been using the new Gemini 4.3.1 image, but I've decided to go back to my tried and tested Nabilosat 0.8, I have a backup of the image which i created once the box was fully operational - cams all installed, CS details setup etc and I've used this backup many many times to return the box to Nabilosat - so the backup is 100% fine.

Today however, when i delete the image and replace it with my backup (via Telnet) the DM500 reboots but leaves me stranded in a loop where all i can do is set the machine to PAL and change my Timezone to GMT etc, when i save the settings it just returns me back to the select PAL screen again and it all starts over again.

I've also tried flashing the box with the backup using DreamUp but the exact same thing happens.

Have you tried just putting the image on of a fresh download, and see if that brings on niablo?
ive tried different images and , back to niablo,seems to suit me
Give it a try to see if that works

After hours of head scratching, I finally worked out that my backup was fooked!

I keep it stored in my Gmail account and when i downloaded it the download stopped at around 80%, so the backup was incomplete.

I downloaded it again and the flash took 1st time no problem :)

I have Gemini 4.3 on my DM500 but I am having a few problems with CS and was thinking of trying another image. How do you create a backup with all your cams , settings etc so you can return to it when required?

Sorry to answer own question but found this on another forum and thought I would post it in case anyone else finds it useful.

Telnet
- Win98. Click on the Start, select Run, enter telnet in the box then click OK - a Telnet window will open. In the top menu, click on Connect -> RemoteSystem. Enter as the Host Address, the Dreambox IP address you wrote down earlier - click connect.
At Login type in: root [enter]
At Password type in: dreambox [enter]
- WinXP. Click on START -> AllPrograms -> Accessories -> CommandPrompt. Type in: telnet [enter]. In the Telnet screen, type in: open IP [enter] (where IP is the DreamBox IP address you wrote down earlier)
At Login type in: root [enter]
At Password type in: dreambox [enter]

Telnet into the Dreambox as described above and type in the following line to save the img file (you may replace the filename "backup.img" with another more descriptive name if you wish - eg: myimage001.img):
cat /dev/mtd/3 > /var/tmp/backup.img [enter]
Wait for prompt to return then close Telnet window.

A backup copy of your image is now stored as a temporary file in your Dreambox. We now need to retrieve it via FTP.

FTP
Open an InternetExplorer window and in the address bar type in the following: ftp://root:dreambox@IP (where IP is the DreamBox IP address you wrote down earlier). Click GO and a directory listing of your DB will appear.

Open the var directory then the tmp directory under that, copy/paste or drag/drop the backup.img file you created earlier to a suitable place on you PCs harddrive. Close the window.

NOTE: The saved image file can only be restored using the following method - Do not use DreamUp(LAN).

RESTORE/INSTALL

Connect Dreambox to PC with LAN cable and to TV with scart.

Boot up Dreambox - If installing to a newly flashed box, ignore any setup screens and repeatedly press Lame button to get blank TV screen.
Go into Dreambox network configuration:
- Official, Ronald, SF, Free-X TV: small Dream button -> Setup -> ExpertSetup -> CommunicationSetup
- Traveller: small Dream button -> Setup -> Network
Enter all the network details you wrote down previously, tick Configure Network and then Save - repeatedly press Lame to get back to blank TV screen.

Connect to the Dreambox via FTP as described above.
Open the var directory then the tmp directory under that, copy/paste or drag/drop the saved backup.img file from your PC harddrive into the tmp directory. Close the window.

Telnet into the Dreambox as described above.
Type in the following 2 lines:
cd /var/tmp [enter]
eraseall /dev/mtd/3 && cp backup.img /dev/mtd/3 [enter] (where backup.img is the name of your image file)
Wait for erase to complete and the prompt to return (be patient), then type:
reboot [enter]

Box should reboot and come up with your saved image/settings. If it doesn't reboot within a minute or so then power off for 10 seconds and let box boot up normally - DO NOT Flash Erase otherwise your settings will be lost.

IMPORTANT: If the new img file is not in the /var/tmp directory or you enter the img file name incorrectly at the eraseall stage, you will lose the existing image in the box. Your only course of action then is to reflash the box with another image via Null-modem cable and DreamUp.

Back