TM 600 16:9 Widescreen problem

k217ajw

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi

I have a TM 600 but im having problems with some channels on 28.2e not displaying in 16:9. It appears to be the ITV channels, BBC seem ok. The ITV channels are definately broadcasting in 16:9 Widescreen but my TM 600 shows them in 4:3 stretched, ie the side are cut off and the image is stretched. My AV settings are set to 16:9 and PAL.

After further testing it seems to be channels with a resolution off 544x576 that have the prblem, channels with 720x576 or 702x576 seem to be fine.

If i put the box on an ITV channel when go to the av settings and switch to NTSC then back to PAL it then goes correct. But once i change back to a BBC channel then back to ITV the problem is back.

I have testes 3 different versions of the UR image and the standard technomate image and all have the same problem.

Also it ok when you first upload a new image, but then after a restart of receiver the problem then occurs.

I'm surprised more people have not said anything about this problem before or I guess some people just dont notice when the aspect ratio is wrong.

Any help would be appreciated but it seems to me like a hardware fault.

have you tried it on a different tv ? i've got my TM600 on a 4:3 and all channels are shown in same aspect as transport stream sets. but my mate has a TM600 aswell running on a 16:9 tv and hasn't said anything about ITV chans and bad crop.

is your tv set itself set to auto size the pictures? if the output from the box is slightly differenmt to what the tv expects, it will auto cut off the sides to allow the picture to fill the screen from top to bottom, set your TV to widescreen, or full, or 16:9 and it will then auto resize pictures to 16:9 instead of cropping the sides to fill the vertical lines ;)

I have not tried on another tv but I have a tv in the bedroom using the rf out and its wrong on that output too but then I guess it would as its coming from same receiver.

Yes the tv is set to auto size. If I put BBC news on the tv is in 16:9 and i can see this is right because of the clock position, if i then switch to clubland tv it goes to 4:3, if i then switch to itv2 the tv goes to 16:9 but the picture is actually 4:3 stretched. I can see this because the itv2 logo is near the edge of the screen. The attached images should show the problem.

It would be good if your mate could do the same thing with the channels as I have done to see if the itv2 channel is wrong, but make sure current program is 16:9.

is it the box setting or your tv.also if your tv has two scarts make sure it is in th scart 1.

Hi

I have a TM 600 but im having problems with some channels on 28.2e not displaying in 16:9. It appears to be the ITV channels, BBC seem ok. The ITV channels are definately broadcasting in 16:9 Widescreen but my TM 600 shows them in 4:3 stretched, ie the side are cut off and the image is stretched. My AV settings are set to 16:9 and PAL.

After further testing it seems to be channels with a resolution off 544x576 that have the prblem, channels with 720x576 or 702x576 seem to be fine.

If i put the box on an ITV channel when go to the av settings and switch to NTSC then back to PAL it then goes correct. But once i change back to a BBC channel then back to ITV the problem is back.

I have testes 3 different versions of the UR image and the standard technomate image and all have the same problem.

Also it ok when you first upload a new image, but then after a restart of receiver the problem then occurs.

I'm surprised more people have not said anything about this problem before or I guess some people just dont notice when the aspect ratio is wrong.

Any help would be appreciated but it seems to me like a hardware fault.

Go to Menu/Setup/press 3 then 2 go down to Aspect Ratio and then press the vol+ button untill it says always 16:9 green to save then exit.

See if this helps.

Does not make any difference, problem still there. That just makes 4:3 channels stretched ie the tv stays in 16:9 mode because the receiver is telling it too.

I have just noticed ITV 1 W Country is 704 wide resolution and that displays correctly but other ITV 1 regions are 544 wide and are wrong.

Thanks but i really dont think that will help as the tv goes to 16:9 mode automatically on itv2 but the picture is stretched. Although I will try when i get home anyway.

There really is a problem with the receiver here, i cant see why others have not noticed. I would be interested if the person who said his mate had a TM600 on a 16:9 tv could do the same tests and take photos like I have on 28.2e channels.

what you originally describe sounds more like its the actual TV to me, as if you switch the ntsc and back its fine, the tv picks up a widescreen switching signal from the scart lead, ntsc has a different number of lines in the picture to pal, so the tv will stretch the picture if it needs to to fill the screen, changing channels will send a new switching signal

you could try the scart on the VCR scart socket, or disable the auto switching on the tv itself

Thanks.

But the tv is switching to 16:9 when i got from say clubland (4:3) to ITV2. The tv switched to 16:9 but the picture is 4:3 stretched.

Ill try the other scart out and i might try the component out on my 22inch LCD.

i have same problem eg Quest cant get it right but most are OK so i am not going to worry to much.

i have same problem eg Quest cant get it right but most are OK so i am not going to worry to much.

Im not on my own then, do you get the same problem with most ITV channels and Chart Show TV, to name a few?

I've also seen it - as I've seen similar things on non official cable boxes I assumed it was a software bug - are the people who havent seen this saying this definately isnt the case?

I've also seen it - as I've seen similar things on non official cable boxes I assumed it was a software bug - are the people who havent seen this saying this definately isnt the case?

I think people generally dont understand what Im try to explain and what the problem is.

from a quick look at it - just after I got my tm600 - it looked to me like the problem was caused by the software believing the channel aspect ratio info over the actual transmitted aspect ratio - eg chart show tv braodcasts in 4:3 but declares it broadcast in 16:9 - if the box uses the 16:9 ratio to scale the picture you end up with issues - for some reason if you switch to ntsc then it uses the actual aspect ratio of 4:3 and everythings fine - until you switch from a 4:3 channel to one of these mislabeled aspect ratio channels

or that was my assumption as to the problem lol

from a quick look at it - just after I got my tm600 - it looked to me like the problem was caused by the software believing the channel aspect ratio info over the actual transmitted aspect ratio - eg chart show tv braodcasts in 4:3 but declares it broadcast in 16:9 - if the box uses the 16:9 ratio to scale the picture you end up with issues - for some reason if you switch to ntsc then it uses the actual aspect ratio of 4:3 and everythings fine - until you switch from a 4:3 channel to one of these mislabeled aspect ratio channels

or that was my assumption as to the problem lol

Chart show tv broadcasts in 16:9 not 4:3. But the problem is my receiver is telling the tv it is outputting 16:9 but its actually outputting 4:3 Pan Scan thus stretching the picture.

It may be because alot of channels in the UK choose to use a weird resolution i.e 544 wide, instead of 720, i.e 720 wide is true widescreen resoluton. Or correct me if I am wrong?

Last edited:
just been doing some more testing. I have tested several different versions of the ur image and 1 old offical image, and here are the restuls:

18/07/09 ok
02/09/09 widescreen problem
10/14/09 widescreen problem

I also tested the following offical technomate image version

02/07/09 ok

So it is clearly a bug in the software after the July releases. I take it the UR team just update/add extra bits onto the offical releases? i.e this problem shoul be reported to Technomate?

Do RU team have an offical website?

Thanks

this thread was brought to their attention, and they were on here reading it last night m8

Back