TM-5402 HD CI Super Black Bars Each Side Of Picture

Arfer Daley

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi guys I have noticed when watching some programs on tv in hd I get thick black lines each side of the picture seems to go into 4.3 if I flick to sd mode I get the full 16.9 can some nice person throw me a line cant remember how too cure is or did I imagine their was a cure thanks for any advice

Be sure you have the settings in technomate receiver 16:9 full.
also yr tv set should be set to 16:9 (what is the format of yr tv ?) maybe together with auto adjust
It is true that nowadays there are a lot of 4:3 80's 90's shows on air. It is horrible to watch them stretched in 16:9-16:10 format.
So the provider gives for that given tv program 4:3 in 16:9 format with black bars at both sides.
for 4:3 programs which the provider does not have another format you can put 4:3 into technomate together with 4:3 in yr tv set.
Just play a bit with yr settings and find out what suits you best.

for me 16:9 full in Tm receiver works great together with autoformat on my tv set.(samsung flatscreen)

It's quite normal and there is nothing wrong if you watch the SD equivalent you get the full screen picture on the HD Bars are presented to the left and right depending on the program being shown.

For Example ITV HD have been showing some old columbo's and Murder she wrote from the 70's and 80's which in that era before Video format became the defacto standard a lot of TV shows will still using Film negative but only shooting on 4:3 aspect ratio unlike what you would find on cinema 1:85:1 and 2:35:1

So in answer to your question it is normal and if they tried to stretch the original HD well they would look stretched.

Regards

@DIGI, yeah well, yup good old 80's 4:3 format, giant crt screens , I wonder when that format will return , prob when 16:10 is stretched to the limits of the living roomn then w'll back to 4:4 or something .. hehe

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Arfer Daley et al,

I have noticed when watching some programs on tv in hd I get thick black lines each side of the picture seems to go into 4.3 if I flick to sd mode I get the full 16.9 can some nice person throw me a line cant remember how too cure is or did I imagine their was a cure thanks for any advice

From what I've seen... there's quite a few SD/HD channels on various satellites that do not seem to carry the 16:9 auto-expand setting within the signal... I think that is why the WIDE button was added to the Technomate remote controls... alternatively it could be that the channels in question will only 16:9 auto-expand properly on certain dedicated receivers...

I always use the following config in the A/V Output Settings menu TM 5402 HD CI+ Super+ and it works perfectly except for a few problem channels...

Screen Format - 16:9
Display Format - Pillar-Box

4:3 ratio pictures stay as 4:3 ratio
16:9 ratio pictures auto-format to 16:9 ratio

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Last edited:
@Zorch, thanx for that info, i didn't even know there was an auto expand 16:9 switch embedded within the signal sometimes.
Always learning :) As a matter of fact I found this info , interesting to read :

Active Format Description - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I always thought my tv was smart enough to do the "trick". I must say that certain brands of tv's really do f***k up the view.
Like Philips tv are not good in auto size, samsung always does mostly fullsize unless ripped torrents ...(well in my case then)
sony & lg are ok i guess..

Last edited:
Hi wolftje et al,

I think you will find that 99% of the problem (non-anamorphic) TV channels which don't currently use AFD (Active Format Descriptors) are predominantly Eastern European and/or Arabic channels...

The following article explains the AR and AFD systems... the article was originally written in regards to UK DTT Transmissions... however the same basic rules apply for DVB-S Transmissions also...

Digital Television - AFD codes explained

This gives me an idea for a new thread... :D

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Back