[Test] Softcam files

For those of you running G-Box, try this. Never mind the long boring saga of how I stumbled across this, just try it:

First- back up your /var/keys/ folder to pc with FTP (if you haven't already done so).

Next- delete all files in /var/keys/ except gbox_cfg and nagra (That's right, just those 2 files in there, and nowt else)

Now Edit nagra via ftp and empty it to 0 bytes (and check it IS empty).

Reboot, then tune to an encrypted channel and wait a few minutes.

Well??? What do you make of that, then? Cheers- AL :Wave:

So I don't use gbox but wouldn't mind checking it out.
Could someone post their version of gbox and their gbox_cfg ?

-Kerb

So I don't use gbox but wouldn't mind checking it out.
Could someone post their version of gbox and their gbox_cfg ?

-Kerb

Think we'd find ourselves on a long holiday from DWZ if we did, m8!

@Cydine and NJ: Don't knock enigma until you've tried it, guys! SS-Enigma 2 (by SatSearching) is wonderful stuff.

@NJ: Just tried the same tests on a so far unreleased Renny beta test image (cvs from Sept 07). This has Gbox+camd2 as my default softcam. I removed all reference to camd2 in start_neutrino and the 12k camd2 file itself from /var/bin/emu

Cannot get gbox running on it's own, yet it's the same 285k file I've used in the other 2 tests. I will try it with your NJL image now, but I suspect I'm gonna get the same result as you, m8.

@Bob: You're right, m8- you don't even need nagra in /var/keys - as Gbox creates one on bootup. I think evocamd will do the same with Keylist.Txt - as will mgcamd with Softcam.Key - as will newcamd with keylist

Cheers, all - AL

strange im unable to get gbox to run without camd2 ...
...do you fancy sticking njlworld back on Al m8 and maybe you can shed some light on why it dont work without camd2 for me .

You're right, NJ- it won't work as a standalone. Strange- as your cvs has got to be newer than CF1.3 and SS-Enigma 2. I thought maybe it's down to a different compile of /bin/neutrino but CF's is 1.48mb, compared to yours at 1.64mb, so no real clues there.

Maybe there's an option for gbox 'support' on a newmake, without gbox itself being included in /bin or /var/bin? So gbox then works on it's own? Without this support, if gbox is added as a bolt-on, then it only works in combo with camd2. All pure conjecture on my part, I hasten to add...

Only other difference I noticed was that CF has the softcams in /var/bin/ whereas yours are in /bin/ (with what look like SymLinks for the same cams in /var/bin/ - maybe this makes a difference?

Not giving up- will keep trying (I'm VERY trying, LOL!)

Cheers- AL

@AL

maybe everything in the cf images arnt what they seem , i know camd2 is in the cvs build
it automaticly pops itself into /bin on a compile.

i will point out the version of evocamd in cable ferret is 2.14 not 2.17

but surly if it does seem to be camd2 that is decoding wich it is on the images i tryed
then the tuxbox boys are breaking there own rules .........

Nice one AL

Just tried this with SS-Enigma V2, Camd2 was in \bin (from the cvs) but I deleted it for this test, also I made a point of putting "kill all known cams" in the cam start scripts so "killall -9 camd2" is in the public release.

Anyway, with tests just done now.

No camd2 in /bin
var/keys only containing gbox.cfg
var/bin only containing gbox

Unplugged the box from the mains, plug it back in, wait 1 min and clears all channels plus nagra file is created in keys folder.

Confused
Boswell (SS) :silly:

Just had similar result to you, SS (sorry, Boswell). I had SS-Enigma back on, coz NJ was sowing seeds of doubt in my mind about this camd2 and, sure enough- there it was, lurking in the /bin folder (all 11k of it, LOL!).

Deleted it, AND /var/keys/nagra (once again) and rebooted. Perfick!! Just reflashed with CF, and can confirm there is no sign of camd2 anywhere in there.

@NJ: OK, it's a mystery with some images needing camd2 in order for gbox to work, where others (as proven today) don't. Maybe YOU could ask Speedy why this is, as a fellow Compiler/Creator? After all, I'm only a 'umble tester...

This is a side issue anyway, m8. Earlier, I played with your image some more (ending up with an IFA job for when I got back from the pub, LOL!). Same result as before, it needs camd2 present too, or it doesn't decrypt. So what? It's only 11k extra payload!!

The point is, I had NJLworldV6.1 working fine with just gbox and camd2 in /var/bin (having deleted all cams from /bin and shortcuts from /var/bin)- and a minor edit in start_neutrino to reflect this, and - like Boswell, just one file in /var/keys - gbox_cfg (which is easily chopped down from it's original 6k size, to a mere 1k)

Reboot- and sheer heaven! So how come gbox AU's with rom7 data, when there are no rom files whatsoever in /var/keys then?

This brings a whole new meaning to Image releases with "No Roms / No Keys" doesn't it? Cheers- AL

strange im unable to get gbox to run without camd2 ...
...do you fancy sticking njlworld back on Al m8 and maybe you can shed some light on why it dont work without camd2 for me .

Well, I've done this, NJ- and results are posted above, m8 (in case you missed this feedback). I'm not concerned about the need for g*box + camd2 in some images, and only g*box alone in others. Like I said, what's 11k extra for camd2?

Cheer up! I tested Commando 9.25 with this setup earlier on; all works fine (once you add the emu in the right place)- but this image, too, will only run g*box + camd2. Gb*x on it's own gives FTA.

Tested out on xenafan's Andromeda 2.0 as well. Now there's another image that seems quite happy with gb*x and no camd2... Wierd.

Cheers- AL :drink:

Well, I've done this, NJ- and results are posted above, m8 (in case you missed this feedback). I'm not concerned about the need for g*box + camd2 in some images, and only g*box alone in others. Like I said, what's 11k extra for camd2?

Cheer up! I tested Commando 9.25 with this setup earlier on; all works fine (once you add the emu in the right place)- but this image, too, will only run g*box + camd2. Gb*x on it's own gives FTA.

Tested out on xenafan's Andromeda 2.0 as well. Now there's another image that seems quite happy with gb*x and no camd2... Wierd.

Cheers- AL :drink:

i wonder what the cvs build difrencess are on the images that need camd2 and the images that dont. i dont remember seing camd2 in the cvs 8 months ago,

i wonder what the cvs build difrencess are on the images that need camd2 and the images that dont. i dont remember seing camd2 in the cvs 8 months ago,

I know very little about UK image compilation from CVS, NJ. All right, I know fook all, LOL! But am I not right in saying that the cvs has no emus at all included- you modders have to do this (if you choose to) at this end?

Cheers- AL

I know very little about UK image compilation from CVS, NJ. All right, I know fook all, LOL! But am I not right in saying that the cvs has no emus at all included- you modders have to do this (if you choose to) at this end?

Cheers- AL

your right in saying the cvs does not contian emu's m8. but same as you im learning as i go along and i dont think camd2 is a emu , just running another fresh build now to check wether its putting in camd2 or its my locals doing it lol.

it would be nice if sombody like pt-1 or one of the more advanced creators could explian what camd2 is suppose to do ,

me personly i wasnt happy when *cough*box was bieng included into images as this emu is not an opensource emu. this emu touches parts other emu's cannot reach .LOL

like you i am very spooked by the fact that some images dont need roms for this to work
and it does bring a whole new meaning to legal images. also if it is possible i would like to work out why some can do it and some cant as this will make hell of a diffrence on space.

Btw camd2 is put into /bin during compile . but this alone doesnt react like the moddified camd2 i use in images . so its time to take alook at the source :)

It's not just the rom files I'm on about as not needed by g*box, NJ- it's everything flipping else in that k*ys folder, m8! Like the autoroll/autoupdate files for instance...

I think Renny might be able to throw some light on the camd2 issue? :salute:

HI guys, thought I'd have a go at this. :)

Not on a dbox though as it's been a while lol. On dreambox running Dw v2 enigma with G-box 2.25c.

Deleted everything from /var/keys except the gbox_cfg.
Only have the gbox emu file in /var/bin.
Removed anything from /tmp that resembled anything to do with emus.
Flicked to Sky Sports 1 and restarted cam. Waited for 2 minutes and nothing happened. Rebooted and waited another 2 mins and nothing.

Copied an empty nagra file to /var/keys and restarted emu on SP1.
Keys updated and picture came on within 10 seconds.

To summarize, only files in /var/keys were gbox_cfg and nagra.

As far as a know, there is no references to camd anywhere in the image.

I've attached my gbox files.

Here's what the emu does when it starts on SP1. (keys have been starred out)

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
Great feedback, devilfish! So this works on DM too, eh? SS was going to test this on his 7025, but he was last seen disappearing into the hole at the top of his can of Stella, LOL!

I think the reason for a lot of those 'could not' and 'not found' errrors lies in the cfg file itself. The one I had was 6kb in size, which I edited down to 1k - just by carefully comparing it with the cfg files for evocamd and mgcamd.

This might explain why it wasn't AU'ing for you, without the empty nagra file to help. It might have been spending yonks of time trying to load files that no longer existed?

I've found the opposite to be the case, with this 'condensed' cfg: It AU's in around 20 seconds with NO nagra file present... Attached, if you want to ty it. (just remove the .rar extension- it's clear text)

Have Jaffa and TheJackel crawled out from under their beds yet? :Ha:

Cheers- AL

Last edited:
I do remember when I first tried Gbox on my dreambox, I had the ftp program up on /var/keys and when I started gbox and went to Sky Sports 1 it automatically created the nagra file, I seen it appear on the screen. So it has created it in the past for me. But I had all the other files still there at the time.

From gbox faq:

Nagra AU

implemented for ROM3, ROM7, ROM10 and ROM11 Cardtypes.

0001 -Dish Networks
0801 -Bell Express VU
2C01 -SABC
4001 -Via Digital
4601 -Euskatel
4801 -TV Cabo
4A01 -MMBN (Asia)
4E01 -Dream TV (Philipines)
5401 -NTL Cable
5A01 -TeleWest Cable
5C01 -C&W/NTL Cable
7001 -Polsat
7401 -Star Digital
9401 -Hong Kong Cable

Here is really nothing to comment. all is plug and play. Simply put Autoupdate_mode=Auto.

All rom's, eeprom's, ram's, keys, etc. is integrated into the gbox. Since Version 1.28 all the Roms are external, and named in this fasion rom02.b, rom02.eep.b und rom02.ram.b

They are however not needed anymore,as it for months has worked without Roms.
Furthermore there is a new key file named Nagra.txt in wich the Nagra EMM key is written. Wich is used for AU.

So looks like everything is built into the cam. Lots of interesting stuff in that faq also.

Looks like gbox is the way forward!

Last edited:
Have Jaffa and TheJackel crawled out from under their beds yet? :Ha:

Cheers- AL

Just came out for a peek...lol

All that is way above my head m8 and I have been seriously contemplating going to dreambox anyway, been getting used to a 500c for a few days now, but wife/kids don't like to change things and not side scrolling in bouquets is not helping me win them over. It is good to know that Gbox works, maybe try it myself as I only have mgcam that works.

I still have the NJL image on my dbox with just the two files you stated at start of thread.

crawling back into my hidy hole now.

Back