Tenda N60 Wireless-N600 Dual band Gigabit Router £34 and some pennies delivered.

Hello, hello...Is there anybody out there??
Just nod if you can hear me, is there anyone home!!!!

Sorry if this is bugging the hell out of you, but I'm almost there I think.

At the moment i have master and slave on I.p address of 192.168.1.1.
Subnet of 255.255.255.0
Same SSID, password,etc.

My problem is: if I walk away from the router that I'm connected to, my signal wanes, even as I'm walking past the other router.
If I am at an end of the house closest the one router even though I was on the other, I have to toggle WiFi on and off to reconnect to the closer router.
Security is exactly the same, and I've tried a few things but to no avail.

Does this sound like I'm just missing one little step?
Hope so.

If anyone can push me in the right direction, I'd be mighty grateful,

Steve

:nopity:

You can't have both on 192.168.1.1

They will conflict, put the slave on 192.168.1.2

Mick

Sent from my iPhone.

You can't have both on 192.168.1.1

They will conflict, put the slave on 192.168.1.2

Mick

Sent from my iPhone.

Sorry Mick, I meant gateway is 192.168.1.1.

Yeah, ip for slave is already 1.2.
Sorry 'bout that.

i've got both channels set to auto, but the never seem to land on the same one anyway.

On my tablet, I get WiFi network monitor app telling me I've got a 100% signal, but can't connect to net.

Very confusing.

thanks again,

Steve

You are repeating the signal right?

You need to make sure your slave is in the correct mode for this, you can't just put them on the same network (ssid). You need to make sure the slave has the ability to repeat the signal.

Sent from my iPhone.

You are repeating the signal right?

You need to make sure your slave is in the correct mode for this, you can't just put them on the same network (ssid). You need to make sure the slave has the ability to repeat the signal.

Sent from my iPhone.

My Tenda has a repeater mode on it in Wireless WDS tab. I've scanned for my SSID and it is no longer there. It was a few days ago and it is set to broadcast on master router. Seeing every other wireless network in the street.

Is this what you mean?

My Dlink router is connected via PPoE as is the Tenda. There is a bridge setting, i.e. it says if you are connected to you'r ISP via bridge, which I don't think I am.
Also, PPoE passthrough, which I've ticked.

If I don't get it soon, I'll leave it for the night, misus is getting ratty at all the rebooting of routers.

Jeez, what did she do before the internet??

Thanks again Mick,

Steve.

Sorry you are going between power plugs right, have you tried your laptop directly to the power line to see of you have an address

Sent from my iPhone.

That's correct. I never tried that Mick. Just been connecting via routers.

I'll maybe try again tomorrow as I'm off and will get peace to try a few things.

Might try bridge setting, although it isn't bridge mode as it might sound. Think it means incoming signal, not sending it out through bridge mode.
will untick PPoE pass through as well.

Cheers for your help again,

It has given me a few ideas to try tomorrow.

All th best,

Steve

ok lads can someone please try and help me out
i will till you what we tryed now first we put the superhub in modam only mode the light on the front changed color so i try 192.168.100.1 and the web page cameup so to make sure it was working ok we took all the leads out the superhub and went from the port next to the power to the pc with a red lead and the internet was on so what we did next was take the red lead out the superhub as it a lot hard to get it from the pc end and put a yellow lead next to the power then the yollow lead in to the blue wan port then the red lead witch is in the pc into lan1 in the tenda but we couldnt get the internet to work nw the odd thing as my mate said did we need to change any setting in the tanda for it to work i said no but anyway we took the yellow lead out so just the tanda was conacted to the pc and theweb page came up on 192.168.0.1 for the tenda have i done any thing wrong ive got a fue days now befor i can get someone to try it for me again cheers all tony

Hi all,

Further to me trying to set up my wireless extended network, here's where I am now.

Dlink 2780 in hall, Tenda N600 in bedroom. I live in a bungalow so we're talking about 6 metres apart.

I've connected the routers via powerline adapters on the same ringmain so getting solid connection there.

What I am trying to achieve is 1 wireless network that will enable automatic switching of devices to the strongest wireless signal.

At the moment, whatever one I start out with, signal stay on the routers mac address and wanes as I walk away from it, and stay degraded when I am standing next to the other router.

I have tried this with two tablets and my HTC android phone, using Network Info app to keep me posted.

Router 1 is on 192.168.1.1 and router 2 is on 192.168.1.2

DHCP on router 2 is enabled and I can see my devices connected at all times.

SSID and security are the same. Channels are still at auto, but I see that they are broadcasting on different channels at that.

Is my problem that they are not far enough apart to warrant a change of signal, as I get pretty weak signals out in the attached garage, which is the main reason I bought the Tenda, so I can run on my treadmill whilst streaming Tunein Radio app on my phone.

Tenda router is closest to the garage, but if I start off on the Dlink (no.1 router) and walk away from it in the direction of the Tenda then on to the garage, I still stay connected to the Dlink at round 35% signal strength unless I toggle wifi on and off, then it reappears on the Tenda signal at arounf 75% signal strength.

I'm beat as to what the problem is.

Steve :Cry:

Try disabling DHCP on router 2 and putting them both on the same channel?

Steve, I think you are beating yourself mate... you keep trying many different things and you are just confusing yourself with settings and configurations.

1) have you directly plugged your laptop/PC into the plug line to make sure you are getting a internet connection.

if no... that is the problem.

You only need one router to give out DHCP.

I personally set the wifi channels apart... put one on 9 and one on 2 (if you have an android phone you can download wifi analyzer and see which channels would be best to use)

--------------------------------------
It is quite a straight forward :)

Setup the original modem/router to give out DHCP lets say

###################
Router 1 address:

DHCP

SSID:
Whatever1234

SSID Security:
Password1234

SSID Chanel:
###################

###################
Powerline plugs

Make sure that the plugs are working !!!
I feel the issue could be here!
###################

###################
Router 2 (tenda)

address:

DHCP
!!!NO DHCP!!!

GATEWAY:

SSID:
Whatever1234

SSID Security:
Password1234

SSID Chanel:
###################

I've got one of these on order, price has gone up 39 pounds and some pennies though still cheap for a concurrent 2.4/5ghz dual band router. Seems a bargain, got a decetn Broadcom chipset as well similar to the Linksys E3000 which cost a fair bit more than the Tenda..
I've got a strange WiFI incompatibility issue with my Nexus 4 phone and my current Linkysys WRT320N router, i'm hoping this Tenda will resolve it. Also the Linksys is dual-band but not concurrent..i.e: either 2.4ghz or 5ghz not both at the same time. The Tenda will let me run 2 simualtaneious networks so I can get all my legacy unimportant gear on 2.4ghz and for streaming video etc to other devices set them up on 5ghz on which theres a lot less interference...Thats the plan anyway!
Shame that you cant DD-WRT for the Tenda though, I have this running on the Linksys and it's a great..but to be fair I dont need or use any of the extra features.

Hi Mick,

Sorry for not getting back sooner, been out painting the fence what with this good weather we've been having.

I've tried wiz's setup and all seems well.

I've got the Tenda and Dlink on channel 1 but with DHPC ON.

The reason I think all is well, is that before I had the laptop in the bedroom and pc in the dining room and going by my avast firewall settings, I was connected to two different network profiles, i.e. I can see the different MAC addreses of my routers.

Anyway, before, when I was on one profile and switched over, any music I was streaming would cease to play, whereas now it keeps playing when I switch over.

Am I right in thinking that this is my network crossing between the two routers without conflict?

I tested my homeplugs, they're fine. Belkin Gigabit Powerline, they're pretty steady.

I will try your setting when I get time off work again.

I can see my devices on Tenda router and when I switched DHCP off I was getting connected signal on phone, but network issues when doing a speedtest. Turn DHCP back on and speedtest connected again???

Thanks for taking the time to type out a detailed setup, I will give it a bash and report back.

Cheers too to Wiz, you settings work too.

Was glad to get away if truth be know, it was starting to do my head in, more so because I should be able to suss something like this.

Still, that's what forums are for and this one has been a good help, bless you all,

Thanks

Steve.:Hit:

Got my tenda router today , build quality lower than my current Linksys wrt320n. But on a positive note easy to setup , did firmware upgrade straight away before configuring. Replicating my Linksys configuration only took about 10 mins, with dyndns, port forwarding , WiFi security etc..

Good news is that it's fixed my nexus 4 Google play download corruption issue.. So it's proved the nexus 4 WiFi chipset doesn't work well with certain WiFi routers.

Bad news is that the Tenda seems to be randomly losing WAN connection and rebooting it's done this at least twice in the last two hours... Maybe it's a side effect of the firmware upgrade.. So I've put it back to the original firmware version it shipped with. I'll monitor for now.

Got it set up with two WiFi networks one 2.4ghz and one 5ghz.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

If these had DD-WRT support they'd be an even better buy.. I might start a thread on the DD-WRT forum to see if it's a supportable device. From raw specs it might be..it has broadcom SOC and enough RAM and flash..
However if I keep getting WAN disconnects I will have to RMA my unit back to ebuyer for a replacment, i've swapped the cable between the cable modem and router just in case.. My old router never had these disconnect issues.

EDIT: The Tenda has now maintained a WAN connection for over 10 days straight since the last disconnect so it seems to have settled down, maybe it was an ISP issue causing the disconnects the logs are not very detailed, i..e: you cant determine from the logs whether it was a physical local ethernet cable disconnection (layer 1) or a problem in the ISP's network (layer 2 and 3 protocol drops). I doubt me swapping the ethernet cable made any difference to the dropouts it's a 0.5m cable the same one my last router was connected with..

Cant argue for the price of this kit considering it's concurrent Dual Band with Broadcom based hardware the same or similar chipsets as much expensiver routers like the Linksys E3000.

Last edited:
hi lads can someone give me a bit of help pls I was going to set this up today but first of all I just wired it to the pc to look at the webpage 2 thing does anyone easl think they get a bit hot and mainly can someone till me were on it can you set the portfording as I couldn't find it cheers tony

Port forward is called virtual server on this router. It gets a bit warm nothing major though I've seen worse. More noticeable because the casing is low profile so heat is transferred directly to the casing..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

anyone else got there reviews on this after a couple of months of use as im interested myself in 1, cheers for your input gsm sounds canny! you had any more random wan disconnects since the last update or anything else to be worried about??

No more issues, its been rock solid maintained connection for 55 days currently, never had any more random disconnects. Not sure if the firmware upgrade caused those disconnects or whether it was just co incedence and my isp was having issues that day. I downgraded the firmware and swapped the Ethernet cable between cable modem and the router and its been fine since then.
The only minor issue I have is that chrome web browser on m nexus 7 tablet doesn't work properly with the web management interface of the router. That's probably a chrome issue though works fine on Firefox. If DD WRT was available for this router it would be an even better buy.

Back