Splitting the main feed to LNB?

Devilfish

DW Regular
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting another receiver for another room. Can I split the main feed going to the motor?

I want both receivers to be able to move the motor, obviously not at the same time lol, but there be voltages going the wrong way or would it be ok?

I don't want to just get a dual LNB cause then only one receiver could turn the dish.

DF, I'm assuming you have a Diseqc motor set up?

If so, in theory it would work, although the 2 receivers could issue conflicting Diseqc commands to the motor which would confuse it.

Secondly, the split may cause voltage drop again affecting your diseqc commands, and /or signal deterioration.

No harm in running a quick test before you do a proper install though.

Sorry to hear about your retirement btw.

you cant do it

not only would the diseqc commands (or usals) conflict with each other, but so would the commands for the band switching in the LNB, so one receiver would (at best) only receive 1/4 of the channels possible, at worst everything would blow as you could be forcing 18v INTO the tuner of the receiver not being watched

youd need to choose which receiver you want in control of the motor, then add a twin output LNB to your dish, and connect the 2nd receiver direct to the LNB

now the 1st receiver is in total control, and dictates where the dish is pointing, the 2nd receiver setup the same, but you will have to manually change to the satellite that the dish it pointing to

if that makes sense

dd

thats weird i was just about to post the same question theres nothing on google about this ive been thinking about it for a few days i found a Lemon .2 DB High Gain Twin Output Lnb for£12.50 and if your like me df as the feed cant be split if you have a comp close or a pda/ppc(with wifi) you could goto the yweb page on the controling reciever and turn it from there to save running back to the 1st reciever to move it every 2 mins i know its not perfect but it would do my mate had to do the same thing with his cable stb as his girlfriend took his remote when they split up lol

thats weird i was just about to post the same question theres nothing on google about this ive been thinking about it for a few days i found a Lemon .2 DB High Gain Twin Output Lnb for£12.50 and if your like me df as the feed cant be split if you have a comp close or a pda/ppc(with wifi) you could goto the yweb page on the controling reciever and turn it from there to save running back to the 1st reciever to move it every 2 mins i know its not perfect but it would do my mate had to do the same thing with his cable stb as his girlfriend took his remote when they split up lol

i forgot to mention and too late to edit my last post the controling stb would have to be a linux stb i know you probably allready know this but i thought i best mention incase somebody else reads this

the controlling receiver can be any one capable of driving a motor m8, it doesnt have to be linux

unless youre intending to use http access to control it from another room, but you could also use magic eyes/video senders to control a non linux box from a remote source too

sorry digi i didnt explain myself properly i did mean it would have to be linux to use yweb with comp/pda/ppc to move the dish never thought of the magic eye way though nice one

Found this which may allow you to use one reciever at a time from the same LNB.

Get yourself an A/B switch and connect the Motor & LNB to the switch input. Connect your boxes to the switch outputs.
Connect a wire to a switching source that will switch voltages on powering down one or other receiver.
Try pin8 of the TV scart on the receiver, but some receivers have 0/12v switching connectors as well.

The switch reacts to the voltage change and flips state, such that the LNB input switches from A to B output. This allows the other receiver to grab control of the LNB.

So in effect, you use a LNB switch, don't operate the switch through normal software means, select motor functionality on both receivers, which should drive the motor and allow the LNB to funCtion properly.

Would this work guys?

Last edited:
Back