Software to unmask WEP paaword/passkey on XP??

undercover121

Inactive User
Reaction score
Evening All,

I set-up my wireless router about a year ago. I’ve got my kids a Wii, which I want connect to the router but I can’t remember the passkey/password.

The password is saved on my laptop (the passkey is already entered).

I’ve tried Kernal Password unmask (doesn’t work at all) and RevelationV2 (password comes up as ???????) software but no joy.

Can anyone recommend some software that does actually work to reveal the masked password and that I can download for free??

I don’t really want to re-set the router as it took me about a week to set-up in the first place.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!!

Your router should have an option to save the settings, just save the settings then reset it.

The router was originally set-up with my old laptop (which has now sadly passed away). So don’t have the original netgear software save any settings.

I would ideally just like to recover the password with a simple unmask software (if there really is anything that will work)

Thanks for the suggestion though!!

Any ideas/recommendations??

just go to http://192.168.0.1 and type in the password for the router (should be on a sticker on the bottom of the router.) username is usually admin and the password is password. then go to wireless on the left hand side and you will see the wireless password at the bottom of the page.
Hope this helps.

go to start> run> type in cmd then click ok. then type in ipconfig. th default gateway is the address of the router. this will be the address to go to, to get the wireless password. this needs to be done on the pc that is connected to the net.
Hope this helps.

go to start> run> type in cmd then click ok. then type in ipconfig. th default gateway is the address of the router. this will be the address to go to, to get the wireless password. this needs to be done on the pc that is connected to the net.
Hope this helps.
it doesnt have to be connected to the net just the router
but as stated u want the ip of the router
try http://192.168.1.1

Router says User name= admin and password = password.

But doesn’t work.

I think I must have changed it.

What a plonker!

Any more ideas?

wots the name and model m8 .. if you search for that theres will be a site that tells u the default login , that might be all u need

ie

admin
admin

is the common one

Thanks for all the replies. I’ll probably reset it tomorrow.

I havn’t got the original software that came with it so if I re-set it should go back to the default user = admin and password = password?

If so that s fine but do I need to download the netgear software to change the WEP key?

I know this may be obvious to most but all I can remember from when I set it up originally was a massive headache!!

Also I wont be a able to log on to this site to ask for any help if it fooks up!

Thanks for all the replies. I’ll probably reset it tomorrow.

I havn’t got the original software that came with it so if I re-set it should go back to the default user = admin and password = password?

If so that s fine but do I need to download the netgear software to change the WEP key?

I know this may be obvious to most but all I can remember from when I set it up originally was a massive headache!!

Also I wont be a able to log on to this site to ask for any help if it fooks up!
no software needed
u can have the router pick a key or make one up that u wont forget

to be honest, this sounds a bit suspicious to me. However as Davidh has said you dont need special software, just do a factory reset to get it back to the state it was in when you bought it.

One small point though - have a note of your ISP's connection settings to put back into the router once you have reset it though. Otherwise you will have a working router with no connection to the Internet...

A good idea as well once you've reset and reconfigured, is to do a backup of your config then make the filename of the backup a combination of your username/password for your router login, burn it to disk, put it on USB stck or whatever, then you have access to both a working backup and the username/password :)

Back