smoking

smoker

Inactive User
Reaction score
aaaargh bl***y f****ing sh*t b*****ks c**ting craving aaaaarrrgh!!!

no pointing fingers by non smokers as i dont need that cr*p right now, why am i swearing? cos the last cig i had was at 5am!!!!!!

so im allowed to be cranky, besides this is something i try and do and count how long i can go for. cos seriously its not like us smokers dont try!

i will probably give in come 5pm by that the aim, go 12 hours without. so far its been a nightmare but i will try and see how long i can last.

i did have a question for those that manage to give up, who weened themselves off it and who just stopped? and peoples experiences for which is better.

ive not bought any yet so thats why im still struggling, if i had some here it would be worse. so i tend to hold out aslong as i can to try and reduce the number i smoke per day.

i used to smoke 20 per day, believe it or not im on about 5-7 per day so trying to reduce it this way as stopping suddenly isnt good for my mind the craving is terrible.

Last edited:
aaaargh bl***y f****ing sh*t b*****ks c**ting craving aaaaarrrgh!!!

no pointing fingers by non smokers as i dont need that cr*p right now, why am i swearing? cos the last cig i had was at 5am!!!!!!

so im allowed to be cranky, besides this is something i try and do and count how long i can go for. cos seriously its not like us smokers dont try!

i will probably give in come 5pm by that the aim, go 12 hours without. so far its been a nightmare but i will try and see how long i can last.

i did have a question for those that manage to give up, who weened themselves off it and who just stopped? and peoples experiences for which is better.

ive not bought any yet so thats why im still struggling, if i had some here it would be worse. so i tend to hold out aslong as i can to try and reduce the number i smoke per day.

i used to smoke 20 per day, believe it or not im on about 5-7 per day so trying to reduce it this way as stopping suddenly isnt good for my mind the craving is terrible.

i was on patches for 7 days, then cold turkey. that was 6 yrs ago passed in march.

packed up 15 years ago, it was 2 weeks of cold turkey but hold in there the rewards health wise are tremendous and you save 6 nicker every time Whooooo !

thanks for the support guys i have to say i manage 12 hours then had to have one. i am counting tho so if i can reduce this down to 5 i will cope but that not the point.

i originally like alot from school days tried the odd one or two but never a habit. in my 20s it started where i was on 10 a a day, that progressed to 20 and at the worst it did reach 40!!

so i started weening myself off by increasing the time between each ciggy any now ive gotten below 10 to what i said about 5-7 but its affecting my mind now when i take these breaks so im never able to go a whole day.

i know it sounds ridiculous but i am 40 now so stress seems to surround me and trying to be good isnt so easy.

thanks for the info aswell im going to take all the advice i can get, my nick may have to change hopefully i named myself that on purpose just so i always see it and dont ignore it. weird i know but it wasnt done to say i am proud smoking more the reverse.

im looking fo work at the mo so money worries hanging over me, i sent out 50 cvs this past week. i swear id rather have a job than this.

Last edited:
don't give up trying to stop...... soon be nonsmoker just think of the money you will save ...craving starts go for a walk out of the way if you can

i did go on the nhs stop smoking program and used the inhaler but it was making me light headed and feeling sick so i had to stop that.

i tried patches and they give me the same sickly feeling, its like i want to vomit the patch wasnt meant to be strong but it sure felt like it.

so now im trying to go cold turkey in stages of 12 hours at a time, so this evening im watching myself so i dont smoke more than the 5 then tomorrow im going to do the 12 hours again. if i can keep this up i can try to make it a whole day. it sounds so stupid like its the hardest thing in the world but i know if i was working i wouldnt have any time to smoke.

one weird thing i noticed was its like i suffer tourette syndrome when im going thru 12 hour breaks lol its like nervousness takes hold lol

i did pick up a copy of alan carrs book as been mentioned in the other thread i do hope it helps.
i was figuring that if i woke at 9am then that i cant smoke for 12 hours which will keep reducing the time i have before i sleep so i smoke less. i was up at 4am had my last 2 cigs and at 5am i stopped normally i would wake up abit later so then its 7am -7pm or 8am-8pm.

ps i have been getting thru my breaks by trying to keep busy like people say but the weirdest thing is, whats helped most so far is that i started playing zelda wind waker on the wii and noticed i can go for hours without needing to smoke lmao i just dont know what ill do when i finish it lol

Last edited:
Yep i agree iI did climb the walls for the two weeks but it really is down to good old will power also think a bit differently if you crave a fag then do something completely different like I did, chew gum but watch them teeth ! or grab an apple !
good luck you can do it !!

Please don't think I'm trying to preach to you here - I'm not. I used to be a smoker and decided to stop and just did. First couple of days were most difficult because other smokers still offer you fags - you just need to say no and eventually they stop asking then its down to you and your willpower.

Anyway, as mentioned on other posts I am a hypnotherapist and a master practitioner in Neuro Linguistic Programming. In NLP We study language patterns as part of our routine of talking with clients. People give away a lot just in their language. I notice you type words like try and had to etc. My own opinion is that using the word try implies failure, whereas if you start saying things like 'will' and 'can' when talking about stopping you may find it makes stopping seem more possible since those words at least imply the possibility of success. I always associate the word 'try' with failure as in - 'I tried and failed' or 'I will try but it is so difficult'. Most of giving up smoking will be in your mind so using positive language will increase your belief it may be possible. Find the thing which will most motivate you to stop, it must be for you and no-one else - it may be what you will save not smoking, it may be better health, whatever. When you have decided - just stop. The trouble with setting yourself a goal of a number of hours is that as you get closer to the time you have set as a target, your motivation will drop. Its a bit like weight watchers for losing weight - when you set the target weight motivation is very high but as you get closer to target weight the motivation drops. When you reach target weight where is the motivation? Its gone and then it all starts to recycle again. Set yourself a powerful motivation that continues and your motivation will remain high.

Hope this helps, I'm not suggesting it will be easy....................... but.........maybe it will be with the right motivation!

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

a regular routine back working will help me a lot, its the stress from looking for work alongside money worries that makes it difficult. so the smoking will be stopped as ive already made note of the cost savings. the trying part is me matching my words to actions, so far its been these 12 hour breaks which ive been doing for a week now i want to go to the next level which is a whole day.

i know when i do it for a whole day then that will give me the incentive not to smoke again the following day. thats my plan on how i want to stop.

ps dont think your preaching, you're giving good advice.

Last edited:
a regular routine back working will help me a lot, its the stress from looking for work alongside money worries that makes it difficult. so the smoking will be stopped as ive already made note of the cost savings. the trying part is me matching my words to actions, so far its been these 12 hour breaks which ive been doing for a week now i want to go to the next level which is a whole day.

i know when i do it for a whole day then that will give me the incentive not to smoke again the following day. thats my plan on how i want to stop.
being a non smoker may help to get work keep trying (rome was'nt built in a day)as they say

i do look at how my behaviour changes from the withdrawl and its something i have to control. it gets me physically and mentally, i get very irritable because of it.

7 months in now...still want to smoke.especially camping!!

I now get my pleasures winding up smokers telling them they stink and they should give up etc etc.
For the first time in many a year, the budget cigarette increase really didnt bother me!

stopped with the help of champit tablets for 3 days
that was 2 and a half years ago .
ps smokers are stinking and the smell gives me the boak. lol

I did get addicted earlier this year and could tell in the gym that it was affecting me to much, so i decided to stop but have the occasianal one when i'm drunk lol.

Cheers,
Nick

i turned into a rager from quitting smoking but what do you expect after 16 years

people say the gym does help but it also makes me more aggressive lol

i am like a child been given artificial additives rofl

My d-day is coming soon i shall be ordering my e-cig this weekend and will be stopping as of Tuesday and starting on higher dose nicotine and going lower at 2 week intervals.ive got it all planned and i shall be keeping a blog/vlog/diary and just letting out any aggression im feeling on paper.As this is a technique ive used in the past and must say writing down feelings tends to stop them coming out physically.good luck on your new smoke free journey and i will be posting links to my blog/vlog on here once i start.

I have every reason to give up now as was told at the hosp yesterday that my granddad has cancer so has kinda hit home hard tbh.

I have been a 20 a day at least smoker for almost 24 years now - I have managed to stop for a few months at a time over the years - I think almost a year is the longest I ever went without. I can do the willpower thing and stop smoking but all I think about is smoking - especially the first 3 months - its like the whole topic of any conversation.

I usually hit a wall at about 3-4 months too - my brain seems to tell me that i am actually missing out - I love to be near the smell of even second hand smoke and convince myself that I can just have one or two and keep it under control. Before I know it I am back smoking again - and for a while - more than ever!!

The other thing is weight - I guess I do pick at sweets and things a bit more but stopping smoking actually slows down your metabolism and putting on some weight is unavoidable unless you start doing some extra exercise!!

I also get extremely irritable - to the point where the smallest thing can get me into a rage where my head feels like it will explode - not violent - just angry!!!

All i can say is - it can be done - but everyday stresses make it harder - Kids moaning - weight gain - etc.... but stay positive and you will be free of them!!

I intend to try again soon - might even get some more champix off the quacks - it did help last time!!

@gooner71 - It would probably be really helpful for you to be able to change your association with cigarettes to something negative. If you have a negative association to something you will spend less time thinking about it. For me Olives or marmite would be good negative associations - as I don't like them I try to avoid thinking about them. Sadly its not something thats easy to do remotely, probably even tricky over the phone but if you fancy giving it a go when you are ready to quit - pm me and I will try to help.

the way i dealt with the mood swings was to ask
if i was a non smoker would the stress be any easier to deal with ?
the answer is in fact yes..the psychological need for a cigarette and denial is adding to the pressure
also weight gain
strange symptom but easily explained
your best cigarette is usually after eating ?

your body tries to get you to submit to the craving by making you eat to intensify the urge as it knows the best cigarette is after food
so it makes you hungry to get your attention to have a cigarette

i dealt with it by just asking in my mind how does someone who has never smoked dealt with the situation ?
the situation is made worse buy your thoughts that it might improve the situation by having a cigarette

try to relax or do it for someone else and then the benefits are spread out
your more likely not to want to let someone else down rather than yourself
hope it helps and best of luck
its your call the benefits perhaps are not all yours ..but the main majority are
your health general well-being and above all your kids and family will benefit from having you around longer ...all positives ...in fact no negatives with quitting its all in the mind

another method is to put an elastic band round your wrist
when you get an urge to smoke ping the band against your wrist it redirects the thought .

also one other thing is
when you sleep the urge for to smoke is suppressed while you sleep?
if you feel you cannot go for an hour without a cigarette then how come you can sleep for 8 without smoking ?
simple really a lot harder in practice ...if you make it harder ...again good luck and hope it helps

Last edited:
Back