SKY HD Channels GONE - Is This The End Of Sky HD and Card Share C/S

Yea your right there, i learn something new every day its great lol

So how's that going to work people with a contract for SD are they going to upgrade them for nothing?

yes

currently offering new free wifi box to upgrade from sd

The talk I have seen on here and other forums including the C.S ones the general consensus is that SD via CS will stay for at least 2-3 years..it's not my opinion just what I have read but I tend to think it to be most likely or hope it is..
As posted there are a lot of very clever chaps on here who know their stuff so I will go with them...

You'd think that maybe sly would push a firmware update out to the sd boxes and change the pairing method on those too but the thing is there have been so many different sd boxes over the years and some of the older ones really struggle to run the software as it is so there's no way sly could update all of them it really is best to try and tempt people to ditch them in favour of newer units but never underestimate Slys sneakiness and ability to surprise!

What happened to the hd thomsons ? Did they get updated too in the end? Or did cards stop receiving entitlements if they were paired to one?

they couldn't take the firmware upgrade.same goes for the Thompson boxes, they only do sky sd channels now.
You'd think that maybe sly would push a firmware update out to the sd boxes and change the pairing method on those too but the thing is there have been so many different sd boxes over the years and some of the older ones really struggle to run the software as it is so there's no way sly could update all of them it really is best to try and tempt people to ditch them in favour of newer units but never underestimate Slys sneakiness and ability to surprise!

What happened to the hd thomsons ? Did they get updated too in the end? Or did cards stop receiving entitlements if they were paired to one?

The talk I have seen on here and other forums including the C.S ones the general consensus is that SD via CS will stay for at least 2-3 years..it's not my opinion just what I have read but I tend to think it to be most likely or hope it is..
As posted there are a lot of very clever chaps on here who know their stuff so I will go with them...

Thats a fair estimate but when i was doing a bit of Subbying for them over 5 years ago i was swapping out HD for SD then, I would imagine the re-circulation of SD receivers finished around 2 years ago and all that is left in the loop now is HD.

Saying that everything went In-House late october last year so every official Sly installer now works for them direct and they got shut of the Crap ones so the workforce may have been trimmed and this could delay the swap over even further.

Estimates seem to show around 12 months or maybe 18 months at a push, Anyway does it really matter even when it all finally goes it was good while it lasted

There must be at least 2 million sd boxes out there. Loads of pensioners like my gran and papa don't even know what hd is. Good luck sly trying to get them to switch to hd. Free sly/cable has been going for nearly 20 years in my circle of friends.

Think they ve zapped sly 3d also. not working for me. Not a ppv Movie either. So must be added to the other Hds thats gone :(

If this goes off on Sept 4th, Will BT Sport continue to work? Does anyone have a code for 12 months half price with Sky?

Thanks

big if lol

as for code

just do as we do & sign up

I wont be signing up unless its incredibly cheap 75% off is something to think about but probably not a big enough discount.

My reasons are.

1 - I actually mostly only use free channels, and my vu solo2 box makes that experience so much better.
2 - I can see myself wanting epl football next season as my team got promoted, but I can just subscribe to an overseas streaming service instead. (or use the SD channels if still work after September).
3 - I watch F1 but I am ok with watching recorded or borrowing someone's sky go account.

Movies, sky atlantic etc. not really interested as I don't like scheduled tv, especially when is adverts. To me the box is more important than the premium content so the fact now I would have to use a sky box if I subscribed is a big deterrent.

you guys signing up, you just pushing your expensive Linux stb's aside?

I wont be signing up unless its incredibly cheap 75% off is something to think about but probably not a big enough discount.

My reasons are.

1 - I actually mostly only use free channels, and my vu solo2 box makes that experience so much better.
2 - I can see myself wanting epl football next season as my team got promoted, but I can just subscribe to an overseas streaming service instead. (or use the SD channels if still work after September).
3 - I watch F1 but I am ok with watching recorded or borrowing someone's sky go account.

Movies, sky atlantic etc. not really interested as I don't like scheduled tv, especially when is adverts. To me the box is more important than the premium content so the fact now I would have to use a sky box if I subscribed is a big deterrent.

you guys signing up, you just pushing your expensive Linux stb's aside?

My mother took out sky, and I upgraded to Multiroom (half price) and the Family Package so I could get the on demand stuff (Getting £60 for this via topcashback, so it's costing me 60 for the year) - Also bought the DRX895-C second hand (£40 - bargain). Sold my Solo 2 for about £125 collected with a years sub and a 320gb Harddrive.

For premier league, I'm using premier league pass this year.

Sign up via a Taiwan VPN (FreeVPN I used) get's you the pass for 49$, then use code SEASONPASSREUP to get an additional 25% off. Otherwise it's $150 via SmartDNS. Proper high quality streams, upwards of needing a 45mb fibre connection, will be great quality.

Although only multiroom, for the cost of selling the solo 2 - I've just about broke even and got all 380 games in HD, all sky channels in HD except sports and movies & ondemand.

In a years time, it might all be back up, who knows. We shall see.

Last edited:
upwards of needing a 45mb fibre connection,

why is a 45mb connection required to stream this? It's my understanding that a full HD stream can be done with as little as 5mb/s ?

why is a 45mb connection required to stream this? It's my understanding that a full HD stream can be done with as little as 5mb/s ?

45mb to stream the highest possible, different bandwidths all the way down to needing 4mb is also available. :)

completely wrong. it even states on their site that you need around 5 M/b download speed for hd streaming, as is the case with netflix etc. its the same everywhere for official subs, around 2 M/b for sd. 4/5 M/b for hd and 25 M/b or more for 4k streaming.Nowhere is offering 4k football streaming yet so 45 M/b is way off the mark iam afraid
45mb to stream the highest possible, different bandwidths all the way down to needing 4mb is also available. :)

Back