Sky hd box-this display does not support HDCP

viduka

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi All
Just had sky HD instaled yest. Worked ok for about 15 mins. Switched off, then on later on & only got blue screen. Eventually a message popped up saying " This display does not support HDCP. Please disconnect your HDMI connection. The box installed was (new according to the instaler) an amstrad model. My TV is a Panny 37px709. I also have a TM6900 connected & this is picking up FTA hd signals from 19e via both hdmi 1 & 2 sockets, so it cannot be a fault of the tv. Any ideas if pannys have compatability issues with amstrad boxes (should i be asking for pace or samsung) or is this a problem that others have come accross. I left a message for the sky instaler, but he has not yet come back to me, but wanted to be clued up before i speak to him.
Thanks in advance.

From DS
"I've had this before with my Panasonic, have you turned your tv off and on again, leave it for about 30 secs and switch back on, it's normally HDCP handshake problem, if this doesn't work you could always switch both the tv and HD box off, leave for 5 mins and power both up"

Normally 5 mins does it.

Also
"As you found the solution is to disconnect the HDMI cable and unplug the box .If your TV has more than one HDMI socket I'd suggest also swopping the cable to that. It forces the TV/box to handshake and verify the connection. It's a bit like plugging in a new USB device on a computer and seeing the message 'loading drivers"

Hi All
Just had sky HD instaled yest. Worked ok for about 15 mins. Switched off, then on later on & only got blue screen. Eventually a message popped up saying " This display does not support HDCP. Please disconnect your HDMI connection. The box installed was (new according to the instaler) an amstrad model. My TV is a Panny 37px709. I also have a TM6900 connected & this is picking up FTA hd signals from 19e via both hdmi 1 & 2 sockets, so it cannot be a fault of the tv. Any ideas if pannys have compatability issues with amstrad boxes (should i be asking for pace or samsung) or is this a problem that others have come accross. I left a message for the sky instaler, but he has not yet come back to me, but wanted to be clued up before i speak to him.
Thanks in advance.

Ive never heard of that model - do you mean Tx37PX70 if so then it is HDCP complient

why not force a firmware update on the sky HD box? Remove powercord and reinert while holding down the backup button on the top of the box untill the update screen is displayed - then wait till done and see what happens

No luck with your suggerstions. Tried variations of this today ie this from sky

HDCP Reset Procedure

This procedure will make sure your TV set is HD ready, with the correct HDMI* or DVI** connections and HDCP software, follow this HDCP Reset Procedure:

1. Switch your Sky box to standby (if you cannot do this, don't worry • just continue with the rest of the process):

• If a cordless telephone is in use and is connected to the same socket as your Sky box unplug your Sky box plug only.
• This process will stop all the recordings currently in progress and reboot your Sky box.
• If a recording is underway, you may wish to consider doing this after the recording has completed.
• Wait for 30 seconds to allow the hard disk to stop spinning.
2. Switch off the power supply or remove the plug at the mains socket and ensure that there are no lights illuminated on the front panel of your Sky box.
3. Switch your TV set to standby, then switch off the power supply at the mains and unplug it and ensure that there are no lights illuminated on the front of your TV set.
4. Wait for 60 seconds, then turn the power to your TV set back on and switch to the HDMI/DVI channel using your TV remote control.
5. Switch your Sky box power supply back on at the mains. When the red light comes on, wait 2 minutes and 30 seconds.
6. Press tv then sky on your Sky remote control.

If you see a message on your TV screen saying "To use the full range of interactive services please ensure that an operating telephone line is connected, press backup to return," there may be a problem with the connection between your Sky box and the phone point, see our Phone line problem help guide once you have completed this procedure.

If you see a message on your TV screen saying "No Satellite Signal":

• Press tv guide on your Sky remote control.
• Press select with All Channels highlighted.
• After a few seconds the listings should appear as normal.
• Press sky to return to normal viewing when the "No Satellite Signal" message has cleared.

You may see a message on your TV screen saying "Searching for Listings," then Channel 998 should appear.

Tune to channel 105. If you see a message on your TV screen saying "Insert your Sky viewing card":
Remove and re-insert the viewing card into the slot marked Sky viewing card. Make sure that the arrow on the viewing card is facing into the machine and the gold chip is facing downwards.

7. Tune to an HD channel to check whether this procedure has resolved the issue.

If you continue to have problems, please get in touch with Sky's technical support team. You'll find telephone numbers and other details on our Contact Us page.

Making no difference still comes up the same. Have not tried the suggestion from Hawkish yet. I dont want to mess around too much, dont want them saying Ive knackered it ! Will the forced firmware update be ok & relevant to do ?

Cheers

Searched the net and sems as though amstrad compatability issue possibly.
"As it's still fairly new, get Sky to come out and replace the box (preferably for a differnt make - Amstrad in particular are known for such problems). As it's this new, Sky's policy is to replace it with a brand new box - so make sure they don't fob you off with a secondhand faulty box instead (as the installer often tries to do), it should be in a black and white box, and be sealed, complete with all accesoroes etc"

Thanks Fearona

The installer finally contacted me & advised I do what Hawkish suggested ! Will give it a go & report back in a while as it takes 10 mins or so.

i occasionally get this message, its always when i first turn the tv on,

my solution is to turn the sky box back onto standby, turn the tv completely offf (button on the tv, not standby) turn the tv back on and put its source onto hdmi, then turn the skybox back on not touyching anything until an image is displayed onscreen.

if turning your tv on and off at the wall doesnt help maybe try a different hdmi cable?

as suggested, a forced update is always worth a go mate :)

Didnt work, getting exactly the same message with forced update. The installer tried to tell me it was an issue with my telly (surprise, surprise) I told him that my TM6900 HD was working perfectly well for hd chans through both HDMI ports on my Panny. God, now I remember why I quit sky all those years ago & got a motorised dish. Thank god I got this on one of the great deals from this site. If I was paying £57 p/m for this I would be going mental !Will speak to the installer again tommorow, but somehow got a feeling this will run & run. groan.
jamesyboyjim I have tried different cables & variations on what you suggest. I will give it a go exactly as you suggested but Im not holding out much hope. Im losing the will to live.

Bad cable - Faulty Box - Faulty TV

Ask him if he can proove the 1st two are not at fault by swapping them over if hes not willing to do this say you will cancel the whole deal and put him down with sky as the reason why ;)

Its not impossible that the TV is faulty but you may as well make sure that it isnt before getting the expense and inconvinience that a Panasonic DSN service agent will cause (chargable for inspection and not likely to be ready before xmas)

Bad cable - Faulty Box - Faulty TV

Ask him if he can proove the 1st two are not at fault by swapping them over if hes not willing to do this say you will cancel the whole deal and put him down with sky as the reason why ;)

Its not impossible that the TV is faulty but you may as well make sure that it isnt before getting the expense and inconvinience that a Panasonic DSN service agent will cause (chargable for inspection and not likely to be ready before xmas)

Thanks for the advice.
Can you advise how the tv can be faulty when the TM6900 HD reciever works perfectly well for sd & hd chans through both HDMI ports on my Panny. Surely if the tv was at fault this reciever would not work either ?

Cheers.

Awrite mate,

The very same thing happened to me. I had a Pace HD box installed on Friday, woke up Saturday and got that error, unplugged box and TV, problem solved.

Then woke up Sunday and same thing, unplugged both again, problem solved.

I went into "Sky+ Setup" and turned off "Auto Standby", and no problems this morning at all.

Might not work for you, but it's worth a go.

HDCP is digital copy protection technology. I assume the Technomate kit strips the HDCP protection before sending the signal on to the set, that is a guess though

Awrite mate,

The very same thing happened to me. I had a Pace HD box installed on Friday, woke up Saturday and got that error, unplugged box and TV, problem solved.

Then woke up Sunday and same thing, unplugged both again, problem solved.

I went into "Sky+ Setup" and turned off "Auto Standby", and no problems this morning at all.

Might not work for you, but it's worth a go.

If I could get into any menus then I would try it. Ive tried various suggestions of this type , but none can get me past the "this display does not support hdcp" which then goes to just a blue screen.

Edit- went in via scart socket & changed to auto standby. Said searching for channels & for a second I thought it had worked, but then went back to usual screen.

Last edited:
If I could get into any menus then I would try it. Ive tried various suggestions of this type , but none can get me past the "this display does not support hdcp" which then goes to just a blue screen.

Fair enough mate, I should've picked up on that, only scanned the thread before jumping in.

Have you tried connecting via Scart to get a picture, then going back to HDMI once you've fiddled with the options etc?

I was gonna say that not all HDMI ports will be HDCP compliant, some manufacturers skimp on this to save on production costs.

But since it was already working on the same port thern obviously that's not the problem:)

Fair enough mate, I should've picked up on that, only scanned the thread before jumping in.

Have you tried connecting via Scart to get a picture, then going back to HDMI once you've fiddled with the options etc?

Thanks m8, but see edit on post 15. Did this before I saw your post. Funny how the obvious things dont always occur straight away !

I was gonna say that not all HDMI ports will be HDCP compliant, some manufacturers skimp on this to save on production costs.

But since it was already working on the same port thern obviously that's not the problem:)

Yes m8, everything worked fine via hdmi at the initial set up. Its only when I turned it back on later on that the probs started.

Back