Sky going full IP next year - NO DISH???

Mick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Was talking to a custom installer today that I know really well.

And allegedly Sky are going to be rolling out full IP next year, IE like Netflix, but live tv.

The only thing I can see being an issue is HD or 4K for people on lower broadband speeds, but I am guessing they will still have a dish then if that is the case?

I think this is the future, its only a matter of time really...

Mick

Last edited:
Surely that just for new customers and only when possible.

Agreed, I still think the UK broadband in general is quite slow.

They will probably roll it out in areas in London, Manchester, Liverpool, etc (bigger cities) where the broadband is much quicker.

But some parts of the country will still rely on the good old fashioned DISH.

Mick

It is happening and in not too many years ahead it will all be streamed. I have a friend who works in sky (I.T.) and by what he tells me it will be sooner than a lot think. Will no doubt save Sky a fortune as they will not need to pay for sats etc

Also when you look at it Sky Q has as much streaming as sat fed programs if not more and also now tv has been going a while now.

It is happening and in not too many years ahead it will all be streamed. I have a friend who works in sky (I.T.) and by what he tells me it will be sooner than a lot think. Will no doubt save Sky a fortune as they will not need to pay for sats etc

Also when you look at it Sky Q has as much streaming as sat fed programs if not more and also now tv has been going a while now.
They will also be able to reduce the headcount......

What grieves me is a sky customer will use his broadband bandwidth to receive a subscription based service from Sky. Sky when they drop satellites as their platform will save Millions in operator cost but will not pass on the savings to customers.

Shocking.

I have concerns that non-Sky people will have their bills increased to subsidise network infrastructure upgrades.

ive been told that idea has been shelved by 3 installers as customers need 80Mbps for multi room some parts of scotland there are sky customers that have less than ! Mbps on a good day many parts still have to rely on sat bb with not chance of fibre
it may be a bit like we only have sky Q now sorry but cant supply normal sky hd box but if engineer cant install sky Q then its ok we will supply standard HD box

4k works on Netflix with no issues I have a standard 70mb connection and its flawless I can see the issues with live TV but the frequency of updates to broadband speeds should be available for muliroom in 4k by the end of the year,

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

ive been told that idea has been shelved by 3 installers as customers need 80Mbps for multi room some parts of scotland there are sky customers that have less than ! Mbps on a good day many parts still have to rely on sat bb with not chance of fibre
it may be a bit like we only have sky Q now sorry but cant supply normal sky hd box but if engineer cant install sky Q then its ok we will supply standard HD box

My daughter lives in Kent & her "broadband" is 250kb!!!!! Can't even watch a 30 sec sd Youtube video without buffering.

Link works fine chaps,I did a section on this on another forum ages ago,Sky are looking at those who cannot access their services via sat dishes also due to planning issues in national parks ect to,Cat and mouse game as always.

How will this work with the footy tho? Currently when watching a game via IPTV or via Sky official apps the quality is no way as sharp or as smooth compared to HD on sat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How will this work with the footy tho? Currently when watching a game via IPTV or via Sky official apps the quality is no way as sharp or as smooth compared to HD on sat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As time goes by network upgrades will increase the speeds of broadband connections and the new 5G coming next year,5G in the usa is huge

BT have been doing this from day one i cannot believe its taken Sky so long to fully roll this out with there NowTV product, Jobs have already started to go on the installation side, I bumped into an old mate a few weeks ago who i use to subby with for another company he got taken on with Sky a good few years ago. He now tells me all the ones that where taken on are now being shall we say targeted ( H&S customer service Bollox ) so they can trim down the work force.

Sky is not the place it used to be for work (installation side anyway). if BT can stream 4K sports on Fibre below 45mb then SD channels will be Fine on standard ADSL, they will probably tell you that you need there fibre product for anything HD and above

Back