Singing the Hokey Cokey could land football fans in bother

POLICE have vowed to crack down on football fans singing the Hokey Cokey - after claims the song is sectarian.

Catholic church leaders believe the old time children's ditty pokes fun at priests. And they fear it could be hijacked by bigots.

The Hokey Cokey became a popular song and dance in the UK and the US during the 1940s.

But some claim it was composed by Puritans during the 18th century.

They say it originates from "hocuspocus" - a reference to the Latin Mass - and the words used by priests to give communion: "Hoc est enim corpus meum", or "This is my body".

It has also been claimed references to "left-hand in, left-hand out" ridicule the priest's movements during theMass.

The issue was raised after comments made on Rangers websites in the wake of a ban on The Famine Song.

Some supporters discussed whether they would now be able to belt out the Hokey Cokey without offending anyone.

Peter Kearney, a spokesman for the Catholic church in Scotland, said: "This song does have quite disturbing origins. It was devised as an attack on, and a parody of, the Mass. If there are moves to restore its more malevolent meaning then consideration should perhaps be given to its wider use."

SNP MSP Michael Matheson urged police to "take the appropriate action" against those using it to taunt Catholics.

But Labour MSP Frank McAveety - himself a Catholic - said: "I remember doing the Hokey Cokey at family parties.

"We must all have been offending each other without realising.

"I have visions of Alex Salmond's barmy army kicking down doors to get into kids' parties and dragging everyone off to jail."

Stephen Smith of the Rangers Supporters Trust said it was "the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard in my life".

But police promised to investigate any complaints made - and could lock up anyone found singing the song in a sectarian context.

source

its a bloody joke what next are they gonna ban all nursery rime songs, they need to get a life and people that are complaining all the time needs to get to grips with themselfs they must get a red neck after complaining about a bit of banter,,aww well it takes all kind to make the world,,lmao but you get some weird people lol

The ‘bouncy bouncy’ has nothing to do with the barbaric murder of Robert Hamill. This was sung by Rangers fans going back to at least the early 1990s (for example, following the Rangers equaliser at home to Marseille in 1992) and Robert Hamill was killed in 1997.

i accept your superior historical knowledge never heard it at parkhead till the song gained popularity after the murder hope fully the decent rangers support wont bite thegutter press storyabout the hokey cokey along with the big jock knew. sure there will be more shit stirring before saturday

Who are We and who are They, just a thought from a non offended.

Who are We are the people who think it is nuts to be offended by the hokey pokey song and who are They are the people silly enough to be offended by it,

Why who did you think I meant ;)

i accept your superior historical knowledge never heard it at parkhead till the song gained popularity after the murder hope fully the decent rangers support wont bite thegutter press storyabout the hokey cokey along with the big jock knew. sure there will be more shit stirring before saturday

You know as well as I do that there are certain elements of ALL fans who will exploit anything to have a go at opposition fans. I firmly believe that the majority of real fans do not associate the bouncey song with that murder BUT there are those that do (they are not real fans they are bigots).

I know one thing, the Hokey Cokey will be sang louder and louder on Saturday, if it wasnt for the gutter press then it probably wouldnt have even been heard.

I am by no means at all a bigot but if I was there on Saturday I certainly would be singing it...just to wind you lot up.....if its done in jest there is no harm in it. I would not be singing it about any priest or religous sh1t, I would be singing it for a laugh. I hope you get my meaning.

I am by no means at all a bigot but if I was there on Saturday I certainly would be singing it...just to wind you lot up.....if its done in jest there is no harm in it. I would not be singing it about any priest or religous sh1t, I would be singing it for a laugh. I hope you get my meaning.

If I were going I'd probably sing it myself for a laugh.

It's complete nonsense.

And it's guaranteed to be heard from the high heavens on Saturday, I'll be PMSL. :)

You know as well as I do that there are certain elements of ALL fans who will exploit anything to have a go at opposition fans. I firmly believe that the majority of real fans do not associate the bouncey song with that murder BUT there are those that do (they are not real fans they are bigots).

I know one thing, the Hokey Cokey will be sang louder and louder on Saturday, if it wasnt for the gutter press then it probably wouldnt have even been heard.

i think the joke would be on the rangers support they should rise above this shit and sing maybe lex mclean song sorry but its the only rangers football song i can think of

2zykhf4.jpg

LOL @ motherwell, i took a shit in the woods right outside the ground one day when i was going to watch the gers there, somehow it just seemed appropreiate as all i watched was a bunch of shite on the park that got hammered with the Gers that day man, big time, ahhhhh, memories....

Reactions: K
This is a total non story by the press all through an alleged quote from a priest who was asked if a song was sung insulting Catholics would you be offended, allegedly he replied yes, There's your story and if anyone has been following this story it is full of " allegedly " there are no direct quotes from the Catholic Church..

Your spot on Paul a quote from 1 priest and an SNP MP who should be fighting for a lot more important stuff than this. I think the whole things stems from the last old firm game

you put your left arm up, your right arm down
you drop the ball to Miller and your looking like a clown,
you do the holy goalie, and you turn around
next thing your 4-1 down
OH HOLY HOLY GOALIE
OH HOLY HOLY GOALIE​

then Hibs had Their version a couple of weeks ago.

it's just a wind up and as long as they are not kicking the shit out of each other where is the harm.

LOL @ motherwell, i took a shit in the woods right outside the ground one day when i was going to watch the gers there, somehow it just seemed appropreiate as all i watched was a bunch of shite on the park that got hammered with the Gers that day man, big time, ahhhhh, memories....

that must have been a while ago!! yous aint hammered us for ages!!

Part-time supporter? ;)

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

seriously , as a celtic fan. what a pile of guff. How the hell can you upset someone by singing the hokey cokey.

I just hope mizuno scores on Saturday and the WHOLE stadium sings it... It will feel proper festive and party like.

to be honest though. Blame the press. they are the ones that picked up on sectarian bile and ran with it and ran with it and ran with it. THey maybe had a point but a lot of whats going on now is there fault. I personally feel singing songs to wind up opposition fans is the norm but as a person you should have a notion of whats right and whats wrong and abide by that. BUt that notion is different for everyone.

I have actuallly stopped buying and reading tabloid newspapers cos i was getting sick and fed up of there extremist and sensationalist reporting. that whole thing about scottish football being in the gutter because rangers did not qaulify for europe , motherwell got gubbed and Celtic had a poor campaign. yet only last season we were riding the crest of a wave with Last 16 for celtic. Aberdeen doing well and Rangers in Uefa cup final. .........fickle arrogant over opinionated fuookkkkeerss that tabloid press mob.

seriously , as a celtic fan. what a pile of guff. How the hell can you upset someone by singing the hokey cokey.

I just hope mizuno scores on Saturday and the WHOLE stadium sings it... It will feel proper festive and party like.

to be honest though. Blame the press. they are the ones that picked up on sectarian bile and ran with it and ran with it and ran with it. THey maybe had a point but a lot of whats going on now is there fault. I personally feel singing songs to wind up opposition fans is the norm but as a person you should have a notion of whats right and whats wrong and abide by that. BUt that notion is different for everyone.

I have actuallly stopped buying and reading tabloid newspapers cos i was getting sick and fed up of there extremist and sensationalist reporting. that whole thing about scottish football being in the gutter because rangers did not qaulify for europe , motherwell got gubbed and Celtic had a poor campaign. yet only last season we were riding the crest of a wave with Last 16 for celtic. Aberdeen doing well and Rangers in Uefa cup final. .........fickle arrogant over opinionated fuookkkkeerss that tabloid press mob.

Good post m8...very well put.

:Cheers:

U cant sing the hokey cokey no more lol but u can stand on street corners ranting about the west and wanting to kill us while taking our hand outs. What a fucked up country we have now got.

i think he means. thats its stupid that football fans cant wind each other up . but millitants can stand and march shouting slogans about how bad the west is and how all us infidiels should be killed lol . .. i think . but i dont care . i just heard its really cold at ibrox and the rangers players are complaining . because its minus 7 . lol lol

Back