Should claimants be paid vouchers to stop spending on 'vices'?

Will it not simply generate a new black market? If you get a load of bacon, say, with your vouchers and flog it down the pub to buy beer...

Will it not simply generate a new black market? If you get a load of bacon, say, with your vouchers and flog it down the pub to buy beer...

Brilliant H sounds like a plan to me or maybe stop handing out all our money to foreigners, that could be another good idea and that way genuine claimants need not worry about how to live there life.

Amongst other things...

If the rich paid their fair share, the wealthy who qualify but don't need didn't get and everyone on benefits had to contribute some work wherever they were able, even it was just sweeping streets, the problem would be massively reduced.

Then even the foreigners might think twice about turning up...

great idea
sack all the street sweepers and get them to do it for benefit money instead :?

I suppose that would cut the high wage bill down. Will we get a reduction in Council tax then? because at the moment mine is 1,400 pound per year. Could we be guaranteed that these slackers will do a good crap job like the standards we are getting now?.

being someone that is quite ill i find this very hard to talk about on my good day i can just about make my salf a drink of coffee and that is on the best of days but even befor i was ill i allways said no benefit should be automatic thay should all be meens tested the first ones to do is stop rich getting child and heating alowance child alowance should be capped at 2 or 3 for everyone but if you give them money then let them do with it as they will we all make some bad choices

No, just have able claimants give something back - not such a bad deal is it? Just like having a job really...

i have often thought this. there is a huge workforce out there getting paid for going to job interviews. why not have 2 days a week picking up rubbish ect. it would be a deterrent for some slackers. and the genuine people would still get ther benefits. i think it would be a good motivator.

i have often thought this. there is a huge workforce out there getting paid for going to job interviews. why not have 2 days a week picking up rubbish ect. it would be a deterrent for some slackers. and the genuine people would still get ther benefits. i think it would be a good motivator.

Quite agree mate. I've been on the dole before and to be honest, having something to do for two days a week would have probably kept my morale up, sure I would have moaned about having to go but I doubt it would have done me harm. I don't however agree with big companies who took advantage of that scheme where people were sent to stack shelves for their benefits. There are plenty of charity groups / schemes that are always crying out for volunteers!

Quite agree mate. I've been on the dole before and to be honest, having something to do for two days a week would have probably kept my morale up, sure I would have moaned about having to go but I doubt it would have done me harm. I don't however agree with big companies who took advantage of that scheme where people were sent to stack shelves for their benefits. There are plenty of charity groups / schemes that are always crying out for volunteers!

What a great idea jamesy if there was a way of making these people earn there benefit money then they should be able to spend on it on whatever they like. But how can you get these people to clock on for two days a week and guarantee they would do a good job for you in return?. We already have community payback schemes and I have seen how some of these people operate very much like the council unfortunately, 1 works and the other 10 watch.

The voucher system would not work, partly because of the reason HimHer stated but mainly because it would only be certain shops that would participate.
Invariably that would be the more expensive shops and so it would devalue the worth of the vouchers and also restrict the chance of shopping for bargains or at market stalls etc. So the value of the vouchers would have to be increased thus costing the benefit system more.
There would also have to be a system set up to produce the vouchers and then process the vouchers once used so that the retailers could be paid, again more cost to the benefit system.
And finally no doubt there would be a forgery scam for the vouchers.
Those people who think up these ideas would not consider thing like that because they don't live in the real world and also lack common sense.

they dont need a voucher system they just need to weed out the genuine people down on their luck ect from the sciving barstewards who have never worked and have no intention of working. personally i think that jobseekers allowance should be capped at 2 years as anyone who cant find a job in 2 years isnt trying no matter what the state of the economy and foriegn nationals should not be allowed to claim a penny unless they have paid into the system,regards mdt

the reason for benefits is to keep people , familys alive a house over your head and food on the table through hard times right?? if a voucher / food only credit card is the way that is going to happen then thats the way you eat?? either that or get a job ?? either way you are still alive and the benefits system has worked. if that offends a person on benefits, then dont use them. also dont forget this would be a good way way of stopping fraud, i.e stopping benefits beign sent abroad for god knows what.

the reason for benefits is to keep people , familys alive a house over your head and food on the table through hard times right?? if a voucher / food only credit card is the way that is going to happen then thats the way you eat?? either that or get a job ?? either way you are still alive and the benefits system has worked. if that offends a person on benefits, then dont use them. also dont forget this would be a good way way of stopping fraud, i.e stopping benefits beign sent abroad for god knows what.
Although it's true benefits help people out, on the other hand the system is being badly abused. They need to bring a tougher system out where maybe strict medicals are being brought in to sort the genuine claimers out from the slackers. Joe soap next door does nothing all day on benefits, reason why? bad back yet this person is out on some bloody roof somewhere fitting new tiles/slates is that fair?. Why would they want to take free meal tickets abroad? when they can all come over to the UK on a boat and get everything for free from this Government, who will set them up for life with a nice new house, education and free meals?. Get today's youth of there backsides and get some work done, that is the next problem I know lots of them who are quite happy to fall out of bed to sign on and then straight back to bed again?. Who is going to set the overall fixed amount of food privileges for these people?. The old couple next door won't eat as much as the the family of 4 on the opposite side. so obviously the family get paid more yet the old couple have worked all there life paid all there National Insurance duties and get nothing in return.

Why would you want to introduce a system that is going to cost the taxpayers even more though ?
It is biting your nose off to spite your face.
The First way we could reduce benefit payments is in relation to recent migrants, and that would be to pay them the same benefit they would receive in their home country.
Also on the housing front, if you have made yourself homeless you are not entitled to council housing/benefit. Did those migrants live in a property in their home land ? If so they have made themself homeless..............So they are not allowed council housing/benefit.
The DWP could do a lot more in identifying the leadswingers just by looking at many of the claiments outside the benefits office, you would have to be deaf and blind not to be able to identify them. Instead they employ ATOS to bully genuine sick and disabled off of benefits they really need.
If you have the misfortune to become ill or are made redundant and have to visit the DWP for the first time you will soon realise that you will be the ones that are harassed to get off benefits..................probably because they know that you are genuine and have worked and contributed and so will make the extra effort to get off benefits and not complain about being messed about and so improve their performance levels.
If only they would put the same effort into getting the scroungers back to work.

being someone that is quite ill i find this very hard to talk about on my good day i can just about make my salf a drink of coffee and that is on the best of days but even befor i was ill i allways said no benefit should be automatic thay should all be meens tested the first ones to do is stop rich getting child and heating alowance child alowance should be capped at 2 or 3 for everyone but if you give them money then let them do with it as they will we all make some bad choices

this doesnt help,

Child benefit is paid to 40,000 children overseas as Osborne imposes cuts on UK families with anyone earning over £50,000 | Mail Online

Back