server network

hannibal

Member +
Reaction score
I want to connect 5 desktops to a server in a building which has been wired with cat 5 cables and sockets etc. I am thinking of buying a dell server to do the job (yes I know I could make my own but I dont want to). Will there be connects to connect 5 cat cables into the server such as those found on routers or is the connectivity something else?

no m8, u will have 1 network card in the server (some have 2), what u want is a switch £40 ish for a 8 port plug all pc's and server into switch.

assuming u have setup domain and protocols ok then they will all talk to each other.

Also it is a wise move to buy from a dealer loke dell as all the hardware components are on the hardware compatibility list which means they have been tested and work, you do not want to build servers mate they will end up byting you in the arse when they go down. Good call

Get yourself a poweredge 4200 from fleebay for about £45, and an old switch, mine runs win2k3server with active directory and exchange server 2k3 very nicely. with backup exec driving a powervault 120t dlt 7000 it backs up my entire home network every 3 days without any problems and spares for these old boxes are very cheap.

If you are going to buy a switch, make sure it has enough ports for your network and maybe a few extra for additions. Also check the speed depending on the speed of your network cards some older switches are are only 10mbit, 100mbit is sufficient for a home network imo but some higher end networks run gigabit ethernet. just so you re aware that a switch can impact your network speed and you can buy appropriatly :)

Back