sb4100i help needed

ok guys i have tried about five different macs and i cant get this flamin sb4100i to work. am i doing something wrong. it has the firmware on it and i have tried changing the macs as well. the only thing i havent tried messing with is the cnfig file. should i be changing that at the same time as i change the macs. thanks for any help guys.

try some different config files mate, wont do any harm, but remember when you change/apply the config file to pull the power on the modem rather than just hitting the restart button, once you pull the power wait 10secs or so then plug back in.

edit :> but even if the config file wasnt right, if you had a good working mac then the modem would still get a connection with or without the config file.

Last edited:
ok guys thanks for that. just one more thing when i change the mac addy is it ok to do it over the wireless network or do i have to do it with ethernet connection.?

ok guys have tried everything i think im gonna try n start from scratch. what do i need to get this modem going as in hardware and software thanks guys.

when u put the mac in and the config file are you getting a downspeed and upspeed in the hack page?

hmm u got another modem on the line?? Does it work ok?? Have you tried removing it whilst tryin to get said 4100 up.

thanks for that but how can i change upstream channel id can you explain in detail pls. i dnt think the modem is duff cos it used to work with my sebbed mac address on it now it wont work with anything. thanks for your help.

u can change the upstream channel on the configuration page.
usually underneath the area and above the frequency boxes

thanks for that but how can i change upstream channel id can you explain in detail pls. i dnt think the modem is duff cos it used to work with my sebbed mac address on it now it wont work with anything. thanks for your help.

Hi all
This tread took a while to understand
So i think we all need some screen shots
I have 2 modems with similar problems
They have been reflashed countless times to no avail
1stly click on log when working should look like this

070116012024 7-Information D507.0 Retrieved Time....... SUCCESS
************ 7-Information F502.1 Bridge Forwarding Enabled.
************ 7-Information F502.3 Bridge Learning Enabled.
************ 7-Information B518.0 Baseline Privacy is skipped
************ 7-Information I500.0 Registration Completed
************ 7-Information I0.0 REG-RSP Registration Response
************ 7-Information I0.0 REG-REQ Registration Request
************ 7-Information D509.0 Retrieved TFTP Config File SUCCESS
************ 7-Information D507.1 Retrieved Time....... FAILED
************ 7-Information D511.0 Retrieved DHCP .......... SUCCESS
************ 5-Warning D520.2 DHCP Attempt# 1 BkOff: 5s Tot DSC:1 OFF:1 REQ:1 ACK:1
************ 7-Information D0.0 DHCP CM Net Configuration download and Time of Day
************ 7-Information T500.0 Acquired Upstream .......... SUCCESS
************ 8-Debug T503.1 Acquire US with status OK, powerLevel 58, tempSid 6021
************ 8-Debug T505.0 Acquired Upstream with status OK
************ 7-Information T501.0 Acquired Downstream (402750000 Hz)........ SUCCESS
************ 8-Debug T509.0 Acquired DS with status OK, DS Freq 402750000, US Id 2
************ 7-Information I510.0 *** BOOTING *** SB4100-0.4.4.5-SCM01-NOSH-2.03

If you go to the the signal page and check the ranging service id
Is it 0 if so there is a signal prob as i have with the 2 that dont work here
If you fix that let me know lol
Also on same page check power level it should be 58db
The 1s i have are at 48db
But again i think we need some screen shots to sort you out
We are just going round in circles atm
Dont forget to blank out the mac addy and serial no.s : multi :

ok guys here goes sorry i dont know how to do screen shots but this is what i am getting just copied n pasted it.

Downstream Value
Frequency 402750000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 38 dB
QAM 256
Network Access Control Object N/A
Power Level -1 dBmV The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
HFC MAC Address ************
Upstream Value
Channel ID 2
Frequency 25584000 Hz Down
Ranging Service ID 0
Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s
Power Level 58 dBmV

and sometimes i get this

Downstream Value
Frequency 850000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 48 dB
QAM 256
Network Access Control Object N/A
Power Level -19 dBmV The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
HFC MAC Address ************
Upstream Value
Channel ID 2
Frequency 28784000 Hz Down
Ranging Service ID 7819
Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s
Power Level 58 dBmV

many thanks guys for ur help.

Looks like theres possibly somthing the matter with your signal mate, on the second bunch of data you showed it mentions power level of -19, thats a total no-no, it should be round about 0 (zero) give or take a few, anything thats more extreme like -19 either wont work or cut off all the time, it was doing it with my surfboard and i had about -7 on that if my memory serves me right.

So, are you sure you aint got splitters etc on your cable feed mate ??? this would cause your very bad signal, or you could have a bad connector or connections, cause its strange how the power level in the first bunch of info is fine, summits not right with the signal, but again, it may or may not be the cable feed, it could be the modem has some component inside thats fecked, whos know ??? apart from that it looks as though your modem should be connecting ok, but maybe iam wrong, no doubt someone will tell me if iam talking shlt, lol..
Tell me this, have you took the modem into like a neighbour or friends house to try it on thier feed ??

no mate i aint tried it elsewhere but yes i have plenty of splitters on the line.lol. i have a feed coming into my bedroom and a splitter off the main white box on the wall, one feed going all the way downstairs for my pace downstairs from indoors and the other runs about 2 metres and splits again for my subbed modem and sammy in my bedroom. but saying this i have never had signal problems before. i've not always had a great broadband connection even when i was trialling 10 meg i was only getting bout 2 or 3 meg. if this is the problem then what do u suggest to boost my signal is there anything out there that will help me suck out a better signal from my feed lol. many thanks for ur reply and help.

no mate i aint tried it elsewhere but yes i have plenty of splitters on the line.lol. i have a feed coming into my bedroom and a splitter off the main white box on the wall, one feed going all the way downstairs for my pace downstairs from indoors and the other runs about 2 metres and splits again for my subbed modem and sammy in my bedroom. but saying this i have never had signal problems before. i've not always had a great broadband connection even when i was trialling 10 meg i was only getting bout 2 or 3 meg. if this is the problem then what do u suggest to boost my signal is there anything out there that will help me suck out a better signal from my feed lol. many thanks for ur reply and help.

i would say all your splitters are the problem for sure mate, my 4100i wouldnt work unless i took off the splitters etc and took direct feed from the box on my living room wall, it would work then cut off/on etc, was a real pain in the arse, surfboards dont like dodgy poor signals were'as ambits dont really have a problem with dodgy signals, as a simple experement plug the modem into the direct feed from the wall that comes into your house, no splitters no nuffin, try it and let us know.

ok mate will do that cheers for ur help.

you gotta watch out though cause too strong of a signal can be as bad as poor signal, if ntl fitted the cable coming in then you should be able to run at least 2 devices, I.E - 1xdigy box and 1xmodem using a 3.2db splitter or better.
It all depends on what type of cable ntl installed during the original installation , if its like mines then operating any more than 2 or 3 devices can have signal issues, "especially" with things like surfboards & dreambox's etc, the ntl engineer told me that if i wanted any other devices in the house then they would have to fit a higher grade cable coming in from the street as the type that was used during original install was cheap lightweight crap and cant carry a good signal (so he says).
Anyway, typical example, i had to buy a signal booster to get my dreambox going properley, i dunno if you can get a signal booster for a modem, i tried it but didnt work ??
I suppose i could get ntl out and fit the better cable but i cant be arsed with the hassle.
But anyway, that power level of -19 you have defo shows you have bad signal problem mate.

Back