Sat in Caribbean + Africa

ericbshort

Inactive User
Reaction score
One day I hope to be living in the Caribbean and I have friends which I regularly visit in Africa.

Does anyone know what receivers will work out there? Would a Dreambox or any UK receiver work out there or would I have to get a "MULTI-SYSTEM" receiver?

Also what meter wuld I need? Would a Digisat Pro work?
Does diseqc work out there and could I get away with a 1m dish?

Any help appreciated

the dish just recieves a signal, it doesnt know or care what the signal is or where it comes from. the reciever will work with the correct supply voltage, a lot of them now have a switch to change between 110 and 230 so that shouldnt be any problem. you may have trouble if you use your reciever on a US TV as there are different ways that a reciever builds a picture and different signals that TVs look for, in europe alone you have PAL-I, PAL-B, PAL-G and NTFS in different counrties so whilst all of your equipment might work it might not be able to use the recieved signal it picks up properly. ill look up all the proper info for you to explain in more detail without being full of beer

hope it helps for now

DD

if you were in the carribean wouldnt you be out of range of the satellite footprint?

for the uk satellites yes but there are many satellites that serve the americas just as there are loads for europe

I'm of to the caribbean in a few days so I'll try and get as much info as possible.

Hi all

I've just come back from my holiday (some beautiful Trinidadian ladies can be seen on my gallery - [DLMURL]http://www.world-of-digital.com/forums/gallery.php?do=view&id=8549[/DLMURL] )

Do you know I couldn't find one satelite shop out there! The only thing I could find was DIRECT TV which I think is like the american version of SKY. I asked my friend who said "Theres a man who does it in his spare time"
There are however a few houses with satelite dishes on them, these seem to be very old and /or not in use. Apparently most of Trinidad is now served by cable TV.

So there seems to be a lot of potential if if knew what satelites I should be aiming for etc, I think this info might be on an american version of "World of Digital"
If anyone knows or has any ideas I'd be grateful.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Back