Roma roundup

@oneman the first paragraph of the link you posted
"UK citizens are more negative about immigration than any other Western European country except Greece, new research shows. But the more East Europeans who settle here, the more positive we become about it."

We are most negative with the exception of Greece about immigration......................................After what has happen to Greece does that not make you think ?
As for the second sentence, I would suggest that is conjecture and that "we have become resigned to it happening" would be more accurate.
About the Education statistics showing as improved, that has been widely discussed and reported as being the result of "dumbing down" and changes to the way exams are marked. There are many more youngsters leaving school now who are unable to do simple mathematics and mental arithmatic, and are inarticulate in comparison to years ago, yes they may be more computer savvy but that is only because they have grown up with it, it is something us older ones have had to adapt to................................when computers were first making inroads in Industry I was able to read a punch card from the holes punched in it, how many youngsters even know what a punch card is ?
Computers have innovated so quickly that it is amazing that so many of us "oldies" have managed to take any of it on board, whilst still keeping a command of all the old skills of the Three Rs.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few reports claiming that the "French Gypsies" at Royal Gwent Hospital may be Roma that were moved on from French camps.

French travellers set up camp in Royal Gwent Hospital car park | Mail Online

One of them doesn't look too Roma to me but some do. They'll turn the car park into Dale Farm in no time.

They have probably come over here to get away from the large numbers of Roma in France, because they don't want to be associated with them.
"Toute la ferraille Monsieur ?" "Acheter des ail chance madame ?" :LOL:

@oneman the first paragraph of the link you posted
"UK citizens are more negative about immigration than any other Western European country except Greece, new research shows. But the more East Europeans who settle here, the more positive we become about it."

We are most negative with the exception of Greece about immigration......................................After what has happen to Greece does that not make you think ?
As for the second sentence, I would suggest that is conjecture and that "we have become resigned to it happening" would be more accurate.
About the Education statistics showing as improved, that has been widely discussed and reported as being the result of "dumbing down" and changes to the way exams are marked. There are many more youngsters leaving school now who are unable to do simple mathematics and mental arithmatic, and are inarticulate in comparison to years ago, yes they may be more computer savvy but that is only because they have grown up with it, it is something us older ones have had to adapt to................................when computers were first making inroads in Industry I was able to read a punch card from the holes punched in it, how many youngsters even know what a punch card is ?
Computers have innovated so quickly that it is amazing that so many of us "oldies" have managed to take any of it on board, whilst still keeping a command of all the old skills of the Three Rs.

Not sure what the linkage to Greece is but I am pretty sure their economy was foobar'ed way way way before taking immigration into account. As I have been saying all along they are an easy group to blame. Its happened throughout history and no doubt will continue.

As for school education, no doubt they are those who are happy to coast along and join the benefit culture, and we are not talking about immigrants here don't forget. There are also plenty willing to apply themselves and not end up in call centre. I wonder which ones are going to make for better headlines in the news ?

Interesting looking at the figures, youth unemployment is roughly the same as early 90's taking into account expanding population.

Youth unemployment statistics - Commons Library Standard Note - UK Parliament

Ah, your idiomatic French exceeds my understanding :(

Sorry @himHer always hated French I could never get conjugation and grammar correct even at school, I always believed that Spanish was a much more useful language to learn anyway.
It is meant to read "Any scrap iron Mister ?" and "Buy some lucky garlic Madam ?"

Not sure what the linkage to Greece is but I am pretty sure their economy was foobar'ed way way way before taking immigration into account. As I have been saying all along they are an easy group to blame. Its happened throughout history and no doubt will continue.

As for school education, no doubt they are those who are happy to coast along and join the benefit culture, and we are not talking about immigrants here don't forget. There are also plenty willing to apply themselves and not end up in call centre. I wonder which ones are going to make for better headlines in the news ?

Interesting looking at the figures, youth unemployment is roughly the same as early 90's taking into account expanding population.

Youth unemployment statistics - Commons Library Standard Note - UK Parliament

Greece was from the link as being the other main EU country complaining about immigration, agreed their economy was going downhill but think of the final straw that broke the camel's back.
Yes there are plenty willing to apply themselves, but that will not stop them ending up in call centre styled jobs or non contract employment. Nor does it change the fact that education has been dumbed down.
"Interesting looking at the figures, youth unemployment is roughly the same as early 90's taking into account expanding population.
Youth unemployment statistics - Commons Library Standard Note - UK Parliament"
The interesting facts about that are that it is a government publication and the fact that it has cobbled the figures ! The figures used for the present are of "18-24 year olds who were economically inactive (not in work and not looking for work)" whereas in 1990 the figures were for actual unemployed and also includes the 16/17 year olds ------- remember that the school leaving age has also been increased twice since 1990.

This link from the London School of Economics shows a different picture ::
http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/archives/11705

This link from the London School of Economics shows a different picture ::
http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/archives/11705

Interesting, it says that outside of london, immigration has little impact on youth unemployment.

It did say this about education which seems to indicate that there is a widening gap between able and those at the bottom of the curve.

Education and school-to work transitions

Another possible explanation is that the quality of education for the type of young people likely to be unemployed may have declined. Although standards as a whole appear to be rising, it is possible that targets have led schools to neglect some of the ‘hard to reach’, who may end up unemployed. For example, an evaluation of the Excellence in Cities programme in disadvantaged areas finds that the policy had a relatively high impact on high ability pupils in poor schools, but it did not help low ability pupils, who may have higher unemployment risk in the future.

Similarly, the publication of league tables gives schools incentives to focus on pupils at the margin of achieving the headline indicator (the percentage with five or more A*-Cs at GCSE) but few incentives to focus on those near the bottom of the distribution. It is thus important that education policies do not neglect the bottom of the ability distribution, which is often hard to reach. More generally, improving the careers guidance service for school leavers could be a way of improving the position of young people.

Looks as if the Greek "Roma Abduction" story isn't quite as it seems either.

Maria: Police Question Bulgarian 'Mother'

Better to have parents that want you than one who doesn't imho.

Seems not but in modern society we don't sell children or give them away. Everyone should be subject to the same rules and the Greek authorities are still investigating it as a crime.

Seems not but in modern society we don't sell children or give them away. Everyone should be subject to the same rules and the Greek authorities are still investigating it as a crime.

The same rules? How? Anyway, I'm with Nara on this one.

So it is alright for parallel societies to use different laws?

You would change this how? Demand another Country adopt OUR laws? It's not 'alright' it's the compromise you accept when you understand that you don't have the right to impose your own version of 'right' on another.

You would change this how? Demand another Country adopt OUR laws? It's not 'alright' it's the compromise you accept when you understand that you don't have the right to impose your own version of 'right' on another.

Donating or selling children isn't legal under Greek law, which I was referring to.

Back