Remote Start Engine

DodgyTech

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys

I have this product: Viper 671 XV 2 way LED Car Alarm System

I have the manuals and everything and it's already preinstalled in my car.

I wanted to see how much it would cost to put remote start in.

Can anyone give me tips or advice on what I would need. I'm guessing I can get any remote start module as long as it is compatible right?

How would I program it into the remote?

I've tried searching, but have no clue as to whether or not I should be looking at any general unit or a Viper own unit.

Thanks

If you mean remote starting the vehicle engine I'm sure I read somewhere its a non starter in the UK and may make your insurance cover invalid...

If you mean remote starting the vehicle engine I'm sure I read somewhere its a non starter in the UK and may make your insurance cover invalid...

It may be legal if its on your own property but certainly not if the car is on a public highway. I think the offence you'd get done for is called "quitting".

tbh, I dont think i'd want to try it. Its all too easy to forget you've left the car in gear !

i have intelli-start on my car..

perfectly safe when installed correctly as wont let you set or start the car while in gear.

car is fully locked so not accessiable..

and alsong as its installed professionally is insurence safe iirc..

not sure if viper do remote start but best ask your local alarm shop

my mates got this fitted to his honda civic and been on a few years you cant start the car when its left in gear and all doors are locked when it is started and it is legal top of the range alarm system cost his a packet but there worth it :)

i have intelli-start on my car..

perfectly safe when installed correctly as wont let you set or start the car while in gear.

car is fully locked so not accessiable..

and alsong as its installed professionally is insurence safe iirc..

not sure if viper do remote start but best ask your local alarm shop

Not true mate, voids most alarm approval to thatcham cat 1... being with modern cars they all tend to have a security immobiliser system... be it fords has PATS. So to achieve remote start the installer has to put a chip/key inside the car at all times to override the PATS... to use remote start... to thus can start the car any time if you bypass the alarms normal imob circuits which is pretty easy lol

Some alarm manufactures do have an armoured box that should be installed to have the chip/key in that would be pretty hard to get to... but, why do you need to get to it if its overriding the immobiliser for you on the vehicle... you just need to bypass the alarm....

None of these alarms will void your car insurnce if you have it listed down as a modification - nesencally because it is a modification. The alarm will also shut down the car if movement is dedicted with out the alarm being fully dissengaged (another press of the button while remote start is active).

Also most insurers want it install by a thatcham installer or at least cetitified at thatcham levels.

If its mentioned as a modification, it wont void your insurence and its not illegal in the uk either.

Also dont most alarms use there own immoblsation ciretcs anyways and by pass the standered security system of the car?

Cheers.

None of these alarms will void your car insurnce if you have it listed down as a modification - nesencally because it is a modification. The alarm will also shut down the car if movement is dedicted with out the alarm being fully dissengaged (another press of the button while remote start is active).

Also most insurers want it install by a thatcham installer or at least cetitified at thatcham levels.

If its mentioned as a modification, it wont void your insurence and its not illegal in the uk either.

Also dont most alarms use there own immoblsation ciretcs anyways and by pass the standered security system of the car?

Cheers.

Suggest you call your insurance mate, it does void any thatcham standard ! thus makes the alarm pointless.... being the pure fact, the thactham approval is COMBINED WITH the factory security on the car.... Thus, overriding the cars standard security removes part of that approval.

I looked into this through 5-6 insurers and was told the same by all, if you have the remote start and did not tell them your un-insured.... its not a modification either but classed as security alteration.

No, most alarms do not bypass immob systems that are there as standard... they are in addition to.

:)

tbh, I suspect most insurance companies would have a problem with a device being fitted that would cause a motoring traffic offence if used in a public space. Quite simply, it is an offence to leave a vehicle unattended with its engine running in any public space.

Wow that's a lot of reading to do. I'm working at the moment but I will endeavour to get back to you guys.

I see some good points as to why it's not wise in terms of insurance. From what I know, these systems cut off the engine the moment the gas pedal is pressed as a security measure in case someone tries to drive off while the car has been started using the module.

Thanks for the replies, I'll be back soon :)

Wow that's a lot of reading to do. I'm working at the moment but I will endeavour to get back to you guys.

I see some good points as to why it's not wise in terms of insurance. From what I know, these systems cut off the engine the moment the gas pedal is pressed as a security measure in case someone tries to drive off while the car has been started using the module.

Thanks for the replies, I'll be back soon :)

Thats right mate they do, BUT lol

Its not the issues of the actual auto start really tbh, its more a case of having to reply on the alarms imob solely. Being you have to have a chip/key present in the system all the time in order for the auto start to function.... so, if someone wanted to steal the car then all they have to do is bypass the alarms imob which as ive said is not too hard at all..... clifford are easy lol... Toad Ai606 for instance is a piddle, bypassed both on cars brothers bought before.

My car is a 1989 Golf Mk2, so really someone could just hotwire the car.

I want to find out what I need to get: any brand named one or does it have to be a viper one?

So does knowing about my car tip the scales in favour of "Okay" in terms of insurance? I'll still get approval from the insurers but I need to know what sort of costs I'm looking at before embarking on this little addition

My car is a 1989 Golf Mk2, so really someone could just hotwire the car.

I want to find out what I need to get: any brand named one or does it have to be a viper one?

So does knowing about my car tip the scales in favour of "Okay" in terms of insurance? I'll still get approval from the insurers but I need to know what sort of costs I'm looking at before embarking on this little addition

Being that age I doubt it will have built in security, so that aspect would not matter.

I would think if its parked on a driveway, of the road and remote start used then not an issue. but if its left running in a public place then could be an issue.

Although, brings me to another thing.... quite a few friends have high powered turbo cars, they have turbo cooling systems that keep the engine running until the turbo/system is cool.... I've not heard about these being an issue.

Also, police/emergency service vehicles have run lock equipment fitted to keep battery power up when lights need to be left on... so vehicle is not actually attended/occupied.

Suggest you call your insurance mate, it does void any thatcham standard ! thus makes the alarm pointless.... being the pure fact, the thactham approval is COMBINED WITH the factory security on the car.... Thus, overriding the cars standard security removes part of that approval.

I looked into this through 5-6 insurers and was told the same by all, if you have the remote start and did not tell them your un-insured.... its not a modification either but classed as security alteration.

No, most alarms do not bypass immob systems that are there as standard... they are in addition to.

:)

I dont have remote start - Its somthing that i would like but dont really want to give the money for it lol.

But i see you point i guess its a risk either way - But a mate suggested there insurence compney was fine with it as a mod and wouldnt void the insurence - But he has to get it certicided by tachham whitch he did!

(Not looking to dissagree with you here just mention what i'v been told)

cheers!

Back