Rear Speaker Locations? (5.1)

Timbo

Member ++
Reaction score
Hoping someone with experience might be able to offer me some advice.

My front room is currently a building site, and I thought it is a good time to plan the location of my speakers in my Onkyo HTS 5.1 system.

I don't have any preferences of whether they are wall mounted, stand mounted, ceiling mounted or whatever, I just need to know where the rear speakers should be located for the best sound in the room. I want to keep as much of the the AV equipment in the corner of the room as possible, so please don't worry about the location of the TV and Subwoofer and the location of the front / centre speakers are pretty much a gimme.

Here's a quick overview of the room I have done in paint:

2aklehc.jpg

So, where and how should I mount the rear speakers? and what cable should I use ? Please feel free to update the image with the locations as it will help stop any confusion :)

thanks

I have a similar setup but my TV is on the right. My speakers sit behind at either corner (and an inwards angle) on the longest seating position as this is the most used position for TV viewing.

Normally it doesn't matter and depending on your system you can set it up with delay etc to balance it out.

That room looks quite difficult to get great surround sound, however I would probably put the speakers either side of the sofas.

and use the Onkyo setup mic to sort the sound for you ;)

For cable - depending on your speakers some decent 42 strand would work.

However I would personally run some qed or monster cable... you could probably pick up the lo-smoke for about 30-40 quid per 50 meters.

Have you considered putting the TV more central,i.e on the chimney breast as the room seems a little dis-jointed?

Thanks for all the advice so far.

I can't move the location of the TV as the room isn't big enough to waste space by putting it on the chimney.

It's an old house so the chimney isn't central to the room, and the door doesn't open quite centrally either.

I have been reading about it and it seems that the position of the rear speakers isn't mission critical - but I do want to be able to cover the whole room when playing music (nothing to do with surround sound I know)

I was thinking about putting the rear speakers at the top right and bottom left in the corners of the drawing... Now just to decide how to mount them? And any idea where I can get that cable from Mick? PM me ;)

Last edited:
Hope you dont mind me saying Timbo...your spending far too much time on the placement of the rear speakers and not enough on getting the room finished...lol

Isnt it self explanitory...rear speakers...put them behind you!

I think im spending too much time on the internet....lol

Back