Question about 3 in 1 Jump Starters

papa2

DW Member +
Reaction score
Hi, got a flat battery and snapped alternator belt,
but I've got one of those cheapo 3 in 1 jump starters,
is it possible to connect one of these to a car battery and use it as a charger ? would it work or
are these designed only to jump start a car

is it possible to connect one of these to a car battery and use it as a charger ? would it work or
only way to find out is try it mate if you have another battery:banana:

No m8 you need to put a belt on it.

I know I need a belt , I want to charge the battery up so I can drive it to the garage on battery power alone (a one way trip),
I connected the 3 in 1 to the battery last night for around 24 hours , normally with a real battery charger that would give me a fully charged battery and it would make it to the garage no problem but I'm not so sure about the 3 in 1 ,Had a good look around but couldnt find any info,
Cars booked in for tomorrow so I'll be giving it a go then but I'm not to confident battery will hold out

I know I need a belt , I want to charge the battery up so I can drive it to the garage on battery power alone (a one way trip),
I connected the 3 in 1 to the battery last night for around 24 hours , normally with a real battery charger that would give me a fully charged battery and it would make it to the garage no problem but I'm not so sure about the 3 in 1 ,Had a good look around but couldnt find any info,
Cars booked in for tomorrow so I'll be giving it a go then but I'm not to confident battery will hold out

If your trip is not to far and the 3 in 1 is fully charged there is no reason why not.

Them 3 in 1 only have tiny 12v 7AH battery inside,only designed to give a couple of short bursts to get engine running...doubt they would have the power to charger a car battery.

replace fan belt put the flat battey on the car jump start it with the
3 in 1 and run it to the garage take 3 in 1 with u
the car running will push enough power out to run the car and also have some left over to put some charge back in to the battey
try not to use heater, demisters etc

replace fan belt put the flat battey on the car jump start it with the
3 in 1 and run it to the garage take 3 in 1 with u
the car running will push enough power out to run the car and also have some left over to put some charge back in to the battey
try not to use heater, demisters etc
He has a snapped alternator belt not fan belt.

Depending how much power (electrical) your car uses when running will determine how far you could drive on the jump pack.

The best thing to do would be to charge your car battery from the mains, then start the car from the jump pack and then drive to the garage, take the jump pack as it will be able to restart the car and get you a short distance.

If you have the room under the bonnet you could connect the jump pack as it would increase the capacity of the main battery.

Also if you were asking if you could charge the main battery through a jump pack like

Mains adaptor ---> jump pack ---> car battery

yes but it would take forever as they give out less than an amp.

Jama

True :)

The reason he wanted to go to the garage though is to replace the belt whatever it may-be :)

Jama.
problem on some of the older cars the fanbelt as is runs the alternator and water pump

Why not just replace it yourself ? normally pretty simple and have one tensioner pully or the older type are tensioned from the alternator ?

What car and year is it ?

yes but it would take forever as they give out less than an amp.

Jama

That is exactly what I was worried about , and its far from easy to change the belt as it goes around about 5 different pulleys ( not actually studied it just had a quick look)

Anyway thanks for all the comments I did manage to get to the garage ok so my cheapo 3 in 1 did the trick,
and I'm now up and running again thank fook , you dont half miss a car in this weather

Back