ps3mediaserver + cinavia

ajk

New Member ++
Reaction score
Hi Folks hope you can help, my daughter wants to watch divx on her ps3, some work and some don't due to the audio problems, reading around the site i see ps3 mediaserver is the way to go, set this up , no problems, except the cinavia still kicks in on a few movies, is there a setting in the software i need to make sure is checked or unchecked, or an add on to use.
again thanks for any help you guys give me.

Firstly the problem is not just fixed by using PS3mediaserver. You have to output the audio from the PS3 by using the optical cable and into an amp that has the ability to decode DTS sourround sound.

There is a setting in PS3mediaserver for Cinavia (the latest version as far as I know) but this will not affect anything if you have not got the correct equipment.

This only works on the PS3 because the audio chip that decodes through the optical output bypasses the cinavia chip, all other audio outputs IE. HDMI, Phono etc.. still go through the cinavia chip.

There have been reports that in the newer PS3's this has been fixed, some even suggest it's been fixed in the latest firmware updates.

Up till very recently I used my old PS3 for playing all my media and have never seen the cinavia warning, I've always used the optical out. I recently stopped using the PS3 as it's dying and I bought a stand alone media streamer/NAS which doesn't seem to have a cinavia chip in at all, I'm not using optical audio on this box and have not seen the cinavia message yet.

My m8 was using a PS3 slim, bought around 2 years ago, and up till recently has had no problems with cinavia, but since firmware 4.10 he has seen the cinavia warning a few times, even though he hasn't changed any audio connections or the version of ps3mediaserver.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, i'll look into doing the sound

what firmware version are you on? there is a fix out for custom firmware 3.55 in the form of a pkg file that you install and it disables thecinavia check. I havent tested it or installed it yet. I'll see if I can find a link and some info.

here you go

Disable Cinavia Installer (3.41 & 3.55) | Codename: REBUG

Lots of peeps reporting it does nothing. Didn't seem to do anything on mine when my PS3 was on Rebug rom 3.55.

Dont think it works on rebug firmware. tells you that in the link I posted

It was the rebug team that made the pach and it was included in their firmware. They just made it available to all CFW.

This has been a feature of the REBUG firmware from the start but since there seems to be a lot of interest by users of other CFW/MFW we thought we would make an easy installer for everyone.

not done anything to the ps3 so running what sony have updated, as you need to run via an amp decided she can watch those that get stopped via her wii, saves as lot of messing around, thanks for the help chaps, i'll keep an eye on anything that may help in the future

Hey guys.
Just tried to watch a 1080p AVI of the latest Underworld via my ps3 mediaserver and it stopped and said i couldnt watch itduevto Cinavia. Not a sound issue it stops and wont play. Says go to Cinavia.com and see Message 1.
Any help?
WILL

Hey guys.
Just tried to watch a 1080p AVI of the latest Underworld via my ps3 mediaserver and it stopped and said i couldnt watch itduevto Cinavia. Not a sound issue it stops and wont play. Says go to Cinavia.com and see Message 1.
Any help?
WILL

Try reading the second post down.

Looks like there's a fix it if you have a CFW machine :)

Rogero CFW4.30 v2.05
* Changed the [app_home/PS3_GAME] IPF Name and Icon to show as "ToolBox" now so we don't have duplicate "IPF" entries on XMB.
* Added the Cinavia Patched Video Player module to disable the Cinavia Protection on HDD based content ( Credits to Team Rebug for the module )
* Added the new patches that allowed the return of the Original "*Install Package Files" and "Install All Packages", Credits to Szalay and "hidden Man".
* Updated Dean's "*Install Package files" (Toolbox in v2.05) on [app_home] to the latest version that doesn't requires additional HDD space or a PS3 Restart anymore.
* All the previous features of version 2.03 are all preserved.

For all the users that are having the Singstar Icon on XMB, please know that this is a pure Original FW 4.30/4.31 feature and
it seems it is only showing for Europe users when they connect the PS3 to the internet.

Back