PS3 switches on and then off

good work! - what sort of heat gun did u use? a proper one?

just the one that I've learned with and all the trial and error fixing all them 360s, back in the day i was popping GPU's and resistors etc, wouldn't mind one of them one's with the temp display but mines just a 15 quid one, 2 heat settings, as i say well know her now and what not to do with it! learnt that in the past,

any way 15 seconds per chips, rotational movement and then cool, then GPU and CPU.....

bloody eck, could of bought that one of him as well fooked, but alas I'll do the decent thing and since it's for his kidda then I'll give him it back, might take him up on the offer of getting one from Sony for 130 quid and he can put some thing to wards it, Q. do you have to send this console back to Sony before they will give/sell you another one at that reduced rate, even though there refurbished?

Tia.

Nice 1 dibbers glad ya sorted it, they joy when you first power up and dont get those 3 annoying beeps is unbelievable lol
As for the old one the courier comes with a sealed box opens it in front of you, gives you the refurb and you put yours in the box and thy take it away with them :(

Last edited:
Thanks buddy, made a change not seeing it RROD after spending time fixing it! lol.....(must have seen over 500 xbox's do it...lol)

bollix! so that's me with out a ps3 then! right ebay it is then! might chance me luck with an untouched YLOD one then!

Last edited:
seen some working old ones on egay for about £130.00 - at the end of the day i'm not after a slim or any thing and yeah they would be nice but plan is to get one now and "jailbreak" it with an external USB drive attached etc....

I'm happy with my old fatty - also i know i can attempt a repair with the heatgun method if it goes down. Already replaced the laser, put a 500gb internal in mine with a 500gb external too - good enough for me.

that was me 1st repair and all looked good, the ps3 was actually older than the one in the video - probs one of the very 1st ones! any way that's what i'd love to do, stick a 500 gig internal and a massive external, hack it and bobs your auntie, furiously scanning ebay for one now!

i am right in thinking that they all can be done now with jail break?

Thanks again mate for your help/advice.

Be careful on fleabay bud, Any console on 3.56 can NOT be jailbroken. What I tend to do on Fleabay is the Advanced search. Look for ones within a 25 mile radius of me and then if I see summat I like, I mail them and offer them cash pickup for it. Usually get a good bargain that way. Got a YLOD for £18.10 last week on bidding.
Cheers,
JohnO

nice one, thanks for that, so i need to be looking for one with an older dashboard less than 3.56? i was under the impression that they could all be done now even the slims.....i haven't been into the ps3 scene that much so apologies if this has been answered numerous times......

is the 3.56 dash the latest release from sony that stops the "jailbreak" ?

Look for ones within a 25 mile radius of me and then if I see summat I like, I mail them and offer them cash pickup for it. Usually get a good bargain that way. Got a YLOD for £18.10 last week on bidding.
Cheers,
JohnO

excellent idea!

Look for 'ameuter' listings, where people don't seem to know what they are listing - that way u can tell it's a genuinely faulty PS3 thats not already been fiddled with. someone who puts stuff like "not heatguned" or 'in-scene' terms like CFW usually points to someone who might have already messed with it.

Yep. Stay away from 3.56, this stops Jailbreak in it's tracks. You can get slims on 3.55 and below even new ones "Could" be as low as 3.41.
I personally doubt any consoles => 3.56 will ever be jailbroken if Geohot loses his case with Fony.
JohnO

OK thanks chaps, yeah I've seen and been ripped with things like that in the past, "2 x broken xbox 360's etc" not opened - drive changed only...lolololol"

That type of stuff, OK so i have to look for a one with a dash lower than 3.56! brilliant, on the case now, if people are selling a YLOD then it's kind of going to be difficult as they'll not know what dash, ah shucks, I'm sure i can find one some where! looked lush last night HDMI stylee and that's the 1st time I've sat down and had a look around one! might as well get one and get in the scene!

right the ps3 got opened up and ive noticed a strange rusting patch on the motherboard which would prob explain the lights not working is there any way of cleaning this up as i say it works for about 20 mins then switches of

Looks like motherboard corosion to me. I've never opened a PS3. Is there a battery or something near that area?

to me, that looks like damp/wetness. Whether liquid has been spilt/got in it or it's been in a damp atmosphere. i think some of the tracks might also be damaged, i think you'll find that quite hard to repair. Maybe try some swtich cleaner but don't try brush it away too harshly, you might find it damages it more.

I usually use a bit of Meths on a cotton bud and gently wipe it away. Have to agree though there looks to be a little liquid damage done there. However, I think your shutting down is bordering on YLOD. You will need to heatgun and repaste methinks.

JohnO

oops we cleaned it up to best we could but accidently knocked a chip of whick was a bit minging but does anyone no what that middle chip is at all so we can get a new one put on it many thanks

also would that chip or fuse what ever it is stop the machine turning on or is it just for the lights

Back