PS3 switches on and then off

if you are going to pay sony £130, then you would be as well to ebay the ylod one, you should get around £50-60 for it on ebay. then put the difference to it, around £130-140, and buy a brand new 160gb slim from tesco. if they have any left

just ebay the console only, and keep any controllers for your new slim

That's what I did, I put an extra 70 and got a brand new slim for 200 with a years wattanty, rather than a refurb with only 3 months. Best thing was I managed to repair the broken one and now use that one offline with cfw

k, got her apart and Jesus, there some humongous heat sinks, what thermal compound would you use? don't say arctic silver as there expensive for the small tubes and would probably need 4 or more to cover the CPU and the GPU! was thinking before i attempt the heat gun might try new thermal paste as this stuffs well old and hardly any thing left....

going to go parachuting next month mate! :Fish:

lol, na! cos you cheat! joke man, na i'm "cooked" man, ganna hit the hay....

so chaps is it worth a thermal paste change and put back together or are these not like some xbox 360's where a change of paste and a heat sink change (i know i can't do heat sink on this but paste i can) or are they all ways a heat gun repair...

IIRC at first tried just renewing the paste but it never solved it, i then went back with a heat gun and done the paste again whilst i was there and that got it working. Its worth a try with just the paste first cant do no harm

Last edited:
ours is a 80gb fat it works for about 20 mins at a time then switches of what could be the problem with this one then and dont ask me to check the flashing lights lol as for some reason they dont work

ours is a 80gb fat it works for about 20 mins at a time then switches of what could be the problem with this one then and dont ask me to check the flashing lights lol as for some reason they dont work

sounds like an overheating problem
open up and clean fans and repaste all the heatsinks

Ive just decided that i cba putting it back together and not heat gunning it and changing thermal paste so, half way through the heat gun treatment! :proud:

so what would explain th 2 lights near the power button not working lol

sure the ps3 has a thermal cut out on the psu so this might explain the lights not working

yes it should fix the problem with a good clean and new paste
should bring the temp of the machine down alot

so would this need the heat gun trick as well or just a clean out and paste

if it works for say 20 mins i would say just a clean and repaste would sort it
the fan might not be spinning up to top speed but the clean and repaste would be my first step

woot she's back together and working ! nice one, thanks chaps, easier than the bloody 360! shame the fooker never left me a controller to bloody play it with!

Back