ps3 or x360

Microsoft sell you a game, but you have to pay extra to use the online features, ie x-box live....don't let Microsoft mug you off like that...

PS3, you buy a game that has online capabilities as long as you have broadband you can play online as soon as you open the game, no need to PAY.

Microsoft is showing its true colours, revenue streams and constant revenue streams is what the 360 is about.....basically money....

Okay I'm sure Sony is just as bad, but at least they don't charge you to use the full features of a game.....

U get what you pay for 40 quid might seem alot but for the service you get and better gameplay make a big diference compared sonys relaxed atitiude to there service xbox games are unified under the one xbox server but the ps3 sum games use 3rd party 1s which you are limited to there international restrictions where as xbox is built for an worldwide audiences you are never short of gamers when you want to play your selected title online plus there is the mic support which once again with sony is limited to so many titles sony has a massive leap to take if they want to compete with microsoft on the online scale and it just shows what your 40 quid actually pays for when you play between the two consoles. sony say things can only get better but they also said that with the ps2 lol only time will tell

people keep saying the ps3 will get better in a year buit in a year the 360 will probably be completely hacked alowing us to use difernent drives so no noise and xk links so no need to pay for live and xbmc and the power of the thing we will probably get windows running flawlessly on it

3dfella. turn your volume up on you tv,i dont hear my 360,god i do love my 360 hehe.

i have both and i have to say the 360 beats the ps3 in every way,i havent played the ps3 for ages but the last time i did the online side of things are crap.It might be free but i would rather pay my £30 for xbox live anyday.

I bought a PS3 just over a week ago and am very impressed. Not only is it a great (and very quiet) machine - the online functions, and the way I can pair it up with my PC's for sharing Photos, Music etc, and my PSP (which will be very good once games start to take advantage of the 2nd screen) is just fantastic. You can use your PSP as a PS3, well sort of - it will allow you to access the PS3 menus, select the music, photos etc. that are on the PS3 from the PSP so technically you can watch movies you have on the HDD on the PSP screen without having to physically have them on the PSP Memory Stick. The other big point for me is I wanted wireless built in - and not having to buy a separate wifi unit which would then make the 360 more expensive to buy as I would have had to get the Elite because a High Def player was also needed. Also I cant understand why Microsoft made the HDMI on the Elite v1.2 when the PS3 is v1.3 which most TV's now (especially 1080p ones) will support.

Im not a massive gamer, but do play the odd game so the PS3 is exactly what I want. I was after a media machine that will play games, HD Content etc look beautiful next to the new TV I have just ordered - which this does. Also I have a PS2 and an XBox so decided the PS3 is more suited to my gaming needs, and that of my missus (she is the gamer) plus I can play my back catalogue of PS2 games on it (not got that many on the XBOX that I would play). Oh - I got the 60Gb version for the backwards compatibility on the PS2 games (20gb and 60gb still compatible with PS1 games - which look so naff now).

As a final comment - who has played the Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Demo that you can download off the Japan Playstation Network? Its just too darn beautiful - pity the full GT5 will be late next year before release, with a Prologue version in the new year for those that cant wait.

Final Final comment. Not saying that the 360 isn't good, but out of all the games that are currently available - what percentage are actually good and what percentage would a new buyer of a console buy of the back catalogue? I think over the next few months the major title releases that will be on multi format will be out on both, and probably for the most part identicle on both. Its all about the format only titles really.

Last edited:
the ps3 controller i have lets my ps3 experiance down, there is no rumble ( if there is a setting I have not found it ) unlike my 360 (u don't feel anything) . i don't like how light my ps3 wifi controller is and i don't think much of r2 + r1 buttons, my finger slip off them gggrrrrrr

Last edited:
just a few questions i have about the ps3

1. The controller that comes with the ps3, it asks you to connect it up via the usb but i thought the controllers were wireless, do i just unplug the usb cable once the game starts?

2. Does the ps3 pick up ur wireless network automatically? i have a belkin 54g router hooked up to a netgear dual wan will the ps3 find this so i can play fellow DW peeps?

3. Does the ps3 upscale games when connected to a 1080p tele?

4. I heard the ps3 has bluetooth can i connect up a bluetooth headset one that u can use with mobile fones?

i got a bit disheartened by some of the comments in this thread cause i'm getting one for christmas and then i thought shit i've wasted £350

i'm a bit of a playstation fanboy i've had the ps1 ps2 now the ps3 never any other console i dont want this to be the pig in the poke

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

I used to be a Sony fanboy, but the PS2 was wank compared to the Xbox so i jumped ship :)

PS3 has a lot of potential on paper, I'll buy one once I see it doing something that the 360 can't do.

xbox 360 cant play blu-ray

ps3 cant play HD DVD

so which ever wins the format war will probably have a huge effect on the console which supports it

altho i have a suspicion that it will be blu-ray

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

just a few questions i have about the ps3
1. The controller that comes with the ps3, it asks you to connect it up via the usb but i thought the controllers were wireless, do i just unplug the usb cable once the game starts?
2. Does the ps3 pick up ur wireless network automatically? i have a belkin 54g router hooked up to a netgear dual wan will the ps3 find this so i can play fellow DW peeps?
3. Does the ps3 upscale games when connected to a 1080p tele?
4. I heard the ps3 has bluetooth can i connect up a bluetooth headset one that u can use with mobile fones?
i got a bit disheartened by some of the comments in this thread cause i'm getting one for christmas and then i thought shit i've wasted £350
i'm a bit of a playstation fanboy i've had the ps1 ps2 now the ps3 never any other console i dont want this to be the pig in the poke
Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

1. the controllers only need to be connected when charging. they used to need to be connected when applying a firmware update, but this is no longer the case since a recent update.

2. the ps3 will pick up your router automaitically. however, for the best performance you will need to forward a few ports on the router. which means you will need to assign a static IP address to the ps3. but this is a piece of piss.

3. it will upscale games too 1080p if go into the display settings and untick everything except 1080p. it will also upsacle ps2 games (if you have the 60gb version) and dvds. not sure if this is to 1080p or 720p.

4. you can use any bluetooth headset.

dont get disheartened by getting one. the ps3 had a very slow start to its life, hence all the bad press it has had. its starting to pick up some momentum now, and the games that are due out look amazing. uncharted and gt5 to name 2.

i bought mine at launch and i love. i aint regretted it one bit. so enjoy your new toy on xmas day.

xbox 360 cant play blu-ray
ps3 cant play HD DVD
so which ever wins the format war will probably have a huge effect on the console which supports it
altho i have a suspicion that it will be blu-ray
Cheers
MFCGAVMFC
Also consider that the 360 can't play HD-DVD's unless you buy the add on. According to an article I read last week over in the US Blu-ray discs are outselling HD-DVD discs by almost 2:1 in the first 9 months of this year - but its levelling out. Now that the PS3 had reduced its price Blu-ray should pick up again. Also HD-DVD Players are reducing in price quite a lot so those will pick up also, so its anyones guess but I think this will go on for a while yet.

The PS3 is a great purchase even if you are only after a Blu-Ray player, 'What Hi-Fi' magazine have awarded it 5/5 stars for image quality and functionality.

However, I'm not interested in HD-DVD or Blu-Ray though and jsut now the PS3 is severly lacking software, titles that have been released have yet to impress me any more than the 360 games already have, so for the time being I'll be happily zapping aliens on my 360 in high definition, once the PS3 has some good exclusinve games and the console has been hacked that's when I'll buy one. :)

My 2 pence worth...

I have both (although the ps3 is a crimbo prezzie yet to be opened - but I have played on a friends)

1. XBox Live does cost where Ps3 on line does not (at present??) £40 a year if you pre-buy a one off.

2. Games for Ps3 are about £5 dearer than the equivalent title on Xbox360 some are £10 - Rainbow 6 - Vegas is £50 on the PS3 and you can get it for £29-39 in Game depending on their special of the week.

3. Blue Ray is a bonus but only if you want to watch the films you already have on DVD again as the majority of them are re-releases.

4. PS3 comes with the inbuilt Wireless adapter - XBOX 360 you pay another 40-50 but you can use a standard ethernet connection out of the box.

5. Ps3 has a six axis controller so bridges some of the physical movement control gap that NES did with the WII.

6. There are more games for Xbox but that is going to be the case due to the release timing compared with the late PS3

I think in time the PS3 will become a strong contender possibly just over taking the 360 but it will be a tough slog for them. MS's delay in acknowledging the 3 red light issue may have hurt them as people will have traded for the newer device but again who knows.

The one thing that is a dead cert - MS will release a new XBOX with better features than the PS3 and my belief that will be within 2 years. Sony may have some updates to do although recently all they seem to have done is Downgraded the device removing teh backwards compaitibility and reducing the hard disc size to be ready for a cost war.

i think your right about the MS releasing a new xbox sooner than they would have probably inteneded. dont know about 2 years, maybe 3-4 years from now.

i also think that as production costs of ps3 come down, you will see a reintroduction of a "new" ps3 with all the features of the previous 60gb one.

hope so cause my mam has just bought me one lol

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

In my opinion, just now the answer is no.

But if you're wanting to use it as a blu-ray player then yes. :)

Back