ps3 audio

robtom

Inactive User
Reaction score
sorry guys posted this in the wrong section before. Currently using my computer for 7.1 surround sound. Is there any way i can connect my ps3 to my sound card (sound blaster audigy 4) to get 7.1 surround sound when watching bluray. Thought about connecting the digital optical audio on the ps3 to the computer but don't know if this is possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated

I answered your other post as well.

If your PC has an optical audio in, then there is a strong chance you can get sound this way.

Thanks for the reply the sound card has a digital I/O input but it looks like a 3.5mm socket. Creative labs do an upgrade digital I/O module that adds optical and coaxial digital I/O. Not sure if this will do the trick or not

You dont need an upgrade - this is normal.

Sony used to punt a free TOS cable with mini disc recorders. It had the square connector at one end and the mini TOS connector at the other. You are after something like this: [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-TosLink-Mini-Optical-Cable/dp/B00062UPZ2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1230576274&sr=8-5]LINDY TosLink to Mini Optical Cable, 0.5m: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

But - before you buy the cable, make sure your input on the sound card is an optical input. Otherwise it wont work at all...

Thanks for the advice. I'll try the cable, worth taking a chance for a fiver. I don't suppose you could recommend a sound card that would do the job just in case, it's got to be cheaper than buying an amp/av system.

Personally, I have tried this before but with a PS2 years ago. It was a complete hassle to set up then with a Creative Audigy.

See if you can get your self a cheap receiver, they are almost the same price as a good sound card with the capability you need anyway - and you can hook up your PC to it.

thanks again for the advice. don.t suppose you could point me in the right direction where to start looking

just an update after all your kind advice I've bought an Onkyo 606 reciever and kef 1001 5.1 surrond package. I've got to say playing games now has gone to another dimesion, the surround sound is awsome. would reccommend this package to anyone, managed to get it for £465 with a bit of searching

Good stuff!

The first time I started playing my PS2 on a surround system I was amazed, with the PS3 hooked up to a HD TV its even better :)

just an update after all your kind advice I've bought an Onkyo 606 reciever and kef 1001 5.1 surrond package. I've got to say playing games now has gone to another dimesion, the surround sound is awsome. would reccommend this package to anyone, managed to get it for £465 with a bit of searching

i must say thats an excellent choice of gear too.........

Back