### Protecting your 250 ###

cd \
cd non-vol
cd snmp_cm
docsDevSerialNumber CMXXXXXXXXXXXX
write

if you type this as it is, and where the 13 X's are change them to the mac code your using :)

when telnetting into my mates moded which has been hit but not bricked, i cannot login to it, it just says " not you again..i ant letting u in"
or "anymore and i am calling the cops"
or " i am going to report u to your isp"

anyone else had this???

i do not know wether or not these message are being gernerated from the infinite f/w or its Virgin's work

first post needs amending then as the cd is followed by / and not \ thought it looked strange i suppose thats why it didnt take or maybe it was that i didnt put the cm in doh! i just put the mac in without that.

Last edited by a moderator:
docsDevSerialNumber xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (replace the xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the digits of the mac u r using or is on the modem )
did u forget to put CM before the xxxxxxxxxxxxx old buddy old pal ie docsDevSerialNumber cmxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
or has i got it wrong

i didnt but in the CM in i just put in my mac thats was 2 days ago
and my modem is still working so do i still need to put in the CM before mac?

did u forget to put CM before the xxxxxxxxxxxxx old buddy old pal ie docsDevSerialNumber cmxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
or has i got it wrong

aye i discovered that look in the post above yours, i only followed the first post and that doesnt say do that so could do with an edit by the original poster.

when you get to this point docsDevSerialNumber xxxxxxxxxxxxxx put your mac in here then press enter then type in write all done m8 ;)

when telnetting into my mates moded which has been hit but not bricked, i cannot login to it, it just says " not you again..i ant letting u in"
or "anymore and i am calling the cops"
or " i am going to report u to your isp"

anyone else had this???

i do not know wether or not these message are being gernerated from the infinite f/w or its Virgin's work

that message is built into there firmwear if you change the passwoord and that the message you get useing the wrougn one after a few trys

someones probly changed the password on it

the serial numba is not shown like that on
original 250 there is 12 digits and NO CM at the begining

first post needs amending then as the cd is followed by / and not \ thought it looked strange i suppose thats why it didnt take or maybe it was that i didnt put the cm in doh! i just put the mac in without that.
the switch makes no difference mate, you can use either

or has i got it wrong
the cm is the infinite serial number

these r the orignal serial # of the modem that uses the infinite firmware

ambit 250 - 255 the serial numbers are the same as the mac addresses

webstar epc/dpc 2100 these have digits serial number usually begins with 210xxxxxx or 220xxxxxx

motorola sb5101 serial number r 24 digits and start 15xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Just to clarify.....

If you were to do a new modem, would you have to do these steps after you change the MAC Address, and before you connect the cable feed? In the tuts it tells you to change the password last....which I guess would be too late?

Just to clarify.....

If you were to do a new modem, would you have to do these steps after you change the MAC Address, and before you connect the cable feed? In the tuts it tells you to change the password last....which I guess would be too late?
hi m8, do all the neccessary updates first before connect the feed to the modem to go online

the cm is the infinite serial number
these r the orignal serial # of the modem that uses the infinite firmware
ambit 250 - 255 the serial numbers are the same as the mac addresses
webstar epc/dpc 2100 these have digits serial number usually begins with 210xxxxxx or 220xxxxxx
motorola sb5101 serial number r 24 digits and start 15xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So if the CM is the infinite serial number should we be using the cm part or not?

look on my subbed modem theres no CM its just the mac without colons, so i would assume we should set it the same as a subbed modem and not include the CM.... thats what ive done and its been fine (although im using stealth and i dont think they can access snmp to query the serial anyway)

### Protecting your 250 ###
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
since we dont know exactly if the 250- 255's r under attack via login or software maybe putting this in the stickys might help a few protect ther modem courtesy mark370
change the serial numba of the infinite firmware:
power up modem with-out feed just ethernet cable.
now open hyperterminal and set your settings to:
connect using = TCP/IP (winsock)
host address = 192.168.100.1
port number = 23
and login in with user & pass
then copy and paste the stop scan cmd:
Code:
cd \cm_hal
scan_stop
cd non-vol
cd snmp_cm
docsDevSerialNumber xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (replace the xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the digits of the mac u r using or is on the modem )
write
reboot modem. [credit to geeman]
i am having problems trying to change my serial number, following the above commands but keep getting
Instance: Console Thread (0x807e1c54)
Specified subtable ('snmp_cm') doesn't exist! Can't change to it...
Active Command Table: CM DOCSIS HAL Commands (cm_hal)
CM -> cm_hal
CM/CmHal> cd snmp_cm
CM -> cm_hal
CM/CmHal>

i have tried a couple of times even rebooted modem but still no joy

i am having problems trying to change my serial number, following the above commands but keep getting
CM -> cm_hal
CM/CmHal> cd snmp_cm
CM -> cm_hal
CM/CmHal>

i have tried a couple of times even rebooted modem but still no joy
hi m8, r u doing it like this
first stop the scanning with this

cd \cm_hal
scan_stop
cd \

then copy and paste this in

cd non-vol
cd snmp_cm
docsDevSerialNumber (put the digits of ur mac here)
write

then press enter and reboot

hi m8, r u doing it like this
first stop the scanning with this
cd \cm_hal
scan_stop
----> cd \ <---- Needs updating in first post ;)
then copy and paste this in
cd non-vol
cd snmp_cm
write
then press enter and reboot
I think it's cause you've missed out the 'cd \' in the first post gentlex m8 ;)

:)

I think it's cause you've missed out the 'cd \' in the first post gentlex m8 ;)
no m8, ther is no cd/ its just

cd non-vol
cd snmp_cm

i've tried qiute a few time before posting it but cd/ works too

For the serial number alone it will work but if he's following your guide in the first post then once he stops the scanning with:

cd \cm_hal
scan_stop

He then needs to come back to the root with:

cd \

Before he can get into non-vol otherwise he'll just get an error saying directory doesn't exist ;)

Back