Problem connecting slimline PS2 to Internet

hugins

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm trying to connect my son's PS2 to the internet but keep getting an error, can't connect to POPPE server when I'm using a Network Access Disc during config setup. My setup is as follows, I have a Netgear Wirless router and a linksys Wireless-G Game Adapter WGA11B which I've connected to the back of the PS2. I can see the linksys Wireless-G Game Adapter on the network but for some reason I can't get the PS2 to connect. My ISP is bt and have double and triple checked the config settings on the PS2 but no joy.

Any ideas what could be wrong,

h

I know you've checked double n triple but this does still sound like a settings issue!

Are you letting the DHCP server assign your PS2 a network address or are you doing it manually?

DHCP automatically assigns a IP address?

Tks

h

OK You are going to have to provide a more detailed explanation of what you are doing for others to be able to help.

Have you run the Network diagnostics on the Network Access disk and is that where you are getting the error from?

I ran the Network diagnostics on the Network Access disk and it returned an error 'unable to connect to PPPoE server'. As I've said already I can see linksys Wireless-G Game Adapter on the network, this is connected to the PS2. I can als ping the Games Adapter, I've no idea why its not working.

rgds,
h

I would first establish that the gaming adapter is causing the problem!

1. Delete your network settings on the PS2
2. Plug the PS2 directly into the Netgear router with a standard cat5 cable n start from scratch with your settings.

Can you now connect? If so gaming adapter is the problem.

We can then look at the settings in the gaming adapter.

Edit: I have just run up the Network Access disk (To be honest the first time ever! I set my PS2 Network Config with GT4)

Did you answer Yes or No to the Question:
Do you usually connect to your Broadband ISP with a user ID and password (PPPoE)?

Last edited:
I will try out your suggestions tomorrow, tks.

My netgear wireless router is setup with WAP Key encryption but I don't have the option to input the key as part of the PS2 config set up.Maybe this could be the issue. If it is the reason, then my son can forget it, the network needs to be secure for obvious reasons.

Do you usually connect to your Broadband ISP with a user ID and password (PPPoE)? - Yes I use a BT username and passwod in the PS2 setup.

My netgear wireless router is setup with WAP Key encryption but I don't have the option to input the key as part of the PS2 config set up.Maybe this could be the issue. If it is the reason, then my son can forget it, the network needs to be secure for obvious reasons.

WEP or WPA encryption is dealt with via the linksys n netgear nothing to do with PS2.

Do you usually connect to your Broadband ISP with a user ID and password (PPPoE)? - Yes I use a BT username and passwod in the PS2 setup.

I'm not sure I apreciate the tone of this response, especially as I think it is where your problem is and I am trying to help with very little info provided!

Your netgear router has already authenticated with BT your username n password the linksys is simply a bridge to the netgear the PS2 does not require to login to your ISP it is just part of your internal network and just requires to know the route out to the internet. The answer to that question should be NO!

Sorry if you feel the tone of the response upset you. It was unintended. I was mearly copying your question and responding to it.

I will try out all you suggested today.

tks,

h

No worries m8, long day, no offence taken I just red it as a bit sarky and it obviouly touched a nerve!

I hope it's just that setting and the kids outta ya hair for a few hours. lol

Back